opinions on speakers

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Speakers' started by jibit, Sep 28, 2007.

1. jibit

jibit Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know, in the end it'll be my decision and up to me to listen to them ;) Anyway, I just put in 6.5" Infinity Reference components all around. I'm powering it with an older punch fosgate 800a4 with an excelon deck. Sounded good when I first put them in. Now I here distortion (only at higher volumes). I'm wondering if its the speaker or possibly the amp. I haven't put in my 200A alternator so it could be that its not getting consistent power (however my volt gauge doesn't move much, always around 14V). I think the speakers are still under warranty but that's a pain in itself. I was thinking of getting different speakers (was thinking of Alpine). My gf's car has 6X8 kickers (same car) powered by a kenwood deck and it sounds great. Much better than what I have (which really ticks me off considering what I've spent so far). Any suggestions on this, stay with infinity, try another brand? Or just blow my gf's speakers :rolleyes:

2. mrmizcue

mrmizcue Full Member

how did you set up your system? i always start with all of the amp gains turned all the way down. then set HU volume to around 75-85%. If the volume goes to 40...i set it to 32 or so. Turn it up until the sound is STARTING to distort...then back off a little. you want to set everything up with clean sound from your HU. then turn up gain on front stage amp to where it first starts to distort...then back it off a little...then the rear speakers. the rear speakers are just add a little fullness to your sound system. you want most of the sound to come from front stage. lastly...your subs. adjust the gain to just before they start to distort. This will also give a smooth volume increase....so when your mom gets in the car you can adjust the volume at small steps and not scare the S#!t out of her. LOL
    The distorting you are getting....is it from too much bass?
    if so use a high-pass crossover....i think the RF amp has one built in...and set it to around 80hz...this will help too. check the rca's too. what other amps do you have? are you running this amp 2 or 4 ch. ?

3. jibit

jibit Well-Known Member

just running a 4 channel amp for the interior speakers, no sub yet (until I can get the interiors working correctly). I actually adjusted the gains as you said after I first installed the amp, no problems. 3 months later I get distortion from 75% volume if there is bass below a certain frequency (never there before). I'm wondering if I over powered the speakers and screwed them up. They're rated for 90Wrms and the amp is 100Wrms (probably more considering its an old school fosgate). Not looking to get a lot of bass from them but I don't want to install my interior and then decide to yank them out again because I got fed up with them. I'm not knew to installs either. I've just noticed these things get no bass!:mad:

4. mrmizcue

mrmizcue Full Member

did you check the rca's....they might have got bumped and came out a little......and the hp crossover in the amp?

5. jibit

jibit Well-Known Member

haven't checked it yet, i'll get back to you on that ;)

6. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Are you sure its a speaker? It might be, but check the speakers, make sure they are solidly mounted. Do you have a sound dampner on the door? If not add a little, atleast around the speaker.

Now, 75% volume?????? You like you music loud. So do I. Add more speakers and lower the volume. Seriously, what do you drive? In most cases, for people who like loud, I would recommend Q-forms and your front door speakers. You'll be suprised at the additional volume.

The older Fosgates were not the cleanest amps made. If your speakers are damaged I might suspect the amp. Every speaker in my truck is over powered (except the sub and tweeters) and my volume stays at 3/4. In fact the center is a 6-1/2 Polk Audio rated at 60 Watts RMS, the Kenwood amp driving it is rated at 150-Watts RMS. That speaker has survived for many years and I do NOT use a Low Pass filter.

My recommendation will be more speakers and consider a different amp

7. mrmizcue

mrmizcue Full Member

very true..RF not known for SQ..most of their amps are at .08 THD....but they are wicked on subs

8. cool9

cool9 Full Member

Get some comps w/silk tweeters. The titanium tweeters are real harsh at loud volumes. I have ADS which are extremely realistic, much more so than Diamond or CRT.