one question about big 3

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by napiliboy47, Mar 18, 2010.

1. napiliboy47

napiliboy47 Guest

is it ok to ground to the alternator bracket for the battery to engine ground? does anyone know the torque for this bolt?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2010
  2. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

As far as I know you should always ground the battery to the chassis. The engine also gets grounded to the chassis as well.

3. napiliboy47

napiliboy47 Guest

i have two battery grounds.
    one to the chassis and one to the engine.
    can i ground to this bolt instead of the factory engine ground?

4. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

Why dont you want to use the factory spot? Just remember that the automaker chose to have 2 different grounding points for a reason. What type of metal is that alt bracket made of??

5. napiliboy47

napiliboy47 Guest

my wire isnt long enough to reach the factory ground. Is there another good engine ground u know of?

6. napiliboy47

napiliboy47 Guest

How far away from the headers should the wire be to be 100% safe?

7. napiliboy47

napiliboy47 Guest

is this ok if i ran the wire like this:
    i would zip tie them to the factory wires.
    i would use split loom of course.
    thats the factory ground.
    [​IMG]

8. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

This is for the battery ground? Isnt there a small wire coming off the negative battery post to the chassis (fender).

9. napiliboy47

napiliboy47 Guest

yes there is.
    this is for the battery negative to engine block.
    the red markings is the factory wire.

10. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

forgive me im kind of lost, are you doing the big 3 and the wire you got is not long enough so you are trying to find a new place to run the ground wire?

11. napiliboy47

napiliboy47 Guest

yes thats exactly y

12. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

Why dont you just go and buy some more wire, its only like 10 or 15 dollars at the most. But I would not run it that close to the exhaust, the insulation is not high temp and will probably melt. Where does the wire normally go to?

13. napiliboy47

napiliboy47 Guest

its $20 for 5 feet and that would be a waste since i already have wire. the wire normally goes to the tranny i think.
    Is it really that close? the factory wires are closer than that wire is.

14. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

Well if I had to choose between those 2 spots id pick the alternator, at least it wont melt. Just make sure the area is very smooth, that metal looks very porous.

15. napiliboy47

napiliboy47 Guest

should i sand it down with like 80 grit?

16. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

yea thats cool to start with but in the end you want it very smooth, the smoother the surface the more contact it will have the better the ground.

17. napiliboy47

napiliboy47 Guest

is the way i ran it to the factory ground really that bad?

18. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

no its not that bad, just remember that power wire is not heat resistant like say spark plug wires are. Just wrap some type of insulation around that area of the wire and zip tie it away from the exhaust so it does not come into contact with the manifolds.

19. napiliboy47

napiliboy47 Guest

should i just run it like the 2nd picture and use 2 layers of split loom around that area and just keep checking to see if its burning?

20. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

ThaT would be cool, just zip tie it to something to keep it from touching the manifold..