Ok, Guys, I Need Help Choosing Subwoofer And Amplifier

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by kennyg, Jul 8, 2004.

1. kennyg

kennyg Full Member

OK, here's the deal. I'm getting a new car this weekend, a 1984 Oldsmobile Delta 88 4 door, with a 307, and the car is pretty clean, so, if all goes well, I might actually hang onto this one for a minute. Anyways, I'm sick of having shitty tunes, but, I don't have a huge budget. As of right now, I know what deck I want, but, the car already has a cheap sony deck that I'll use till I can afford to sell it.

I also have a pair of CDT cl components, from the zeb, that I bought from my buddy, almost new, and I have my amp to run them already. Now, I'm gonna hook up my 2003 ed 12k boob cone sub that I currently have, in 1.8 cubes, tuned to 35 hz. But, thast not gonna be enough for long. Once I get money saved a lil this summer, I'm gonna do 15's. I've never had 15's before, adn I've been wanting some for awhile. But, I don't know what I want. I don't know if I want 2 decent 15's ported, or if I wanna go with 4 sealed 15's, like kicker comp vr's, or something. I'm really thinkin about doin 2 ported tem,pests, but, $300 is my absolute limit for subs, which wuold buy 2 tempests. Then, I'd like to try and find a monoblock for under $250, even if I have to buy used, I'd like about 1200-1500 rms at 2 ohms, I think should work good. Do you guys ahve any suggestions? Remember, none of this will happen for a couple months, as I'm not even getting the money out of my truck untill next month sometime. Thanks guys.

2. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

when your ready to buy a amp, Look me up,

I might be ready to part with my Audiobahn 1200W Class D by then..

I am probally going to get a 3rd shiva for the truck and hook my my MTX T8100D in it :p
    :p :p

The Truck has 2 shivas and the Audiobahn....

3. jstutman

jstutman Full Member

hey hey hey now, no classifieds outside the selling forum
    please conduct transactions via PM or selling forum only
    (violotion of this rule, only means one thing michael)

:ban: :ban:

4. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

when did that become a rule???

I must of slept through that..............

But as the old saying goes

"Dont do as I do, DO AS YOUR TOLD" ;) :p :p :p

5. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

Two shiva's in a truck and it's not enough? Talk about being a basshead... :lol:

6. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

not really, I am not a big Fish Eater :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

7. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I don't know about you... but I'm personally drooling over the thought of a pair of Tempests in the car. B)

While I'm not a huge Audiobahn fan, I haven't honestly found too much to criticize of their amps - and Michael said he's always liked his... the price should be also right in your budget, if the timing works out.
    Regardless, I think your plan is good - new or used, you'll be able to find a good one - you might even be better off doing a used amp.

Just be careful where you shop... I'd stick to used classifieds on these forums. ;)

8. kennyg

kennyg Full Member

Ya, the dual tempests would get nasty loud and low, wouldn't it? Do you think they'd get louder than 2 of the new elemental 15kv2's? Only problem, is that the tempests need an enormous box, whereas the ed's only need about 2.5 cubes PORTED. And, they are on pre-order right now for $100 each. As far as amp, yes, I probably will buy from the classifieds on the forums, I've had excelent luck with that before. Do you guys have any other suggestions, or any other feedback about certain equipment? Thanks.

9. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

$100 each is pretty tempting...
    Louder, or lower?
    That's one thing to ask - and I'm certainly not qualified enough to offer an opinion on the Elemental subs.
    In modeling some of their other subs, I've thought they often modeled up to not yield as much low-end as most other models out there - no doubt a natural design selection, to maximize efficiency, at least given the parts that were being used.
    I haven't ever modeled these subs that you are considering... but generally, the larger the driver, the lower the Fs, the lower the response potential.
    ...but bear in mind, Hoffman's Iron Law - as you shrink enclosure size, you inherently not only reduce efficiency, but low frequency capability.
    So when you look at things that way, looking at specs really doesn't offer you much help. :(

Personally, I'd model them both up in WinISD (free download from www.linearteam.org), you can overlay the two curves right over each other, and normalize things by playing with the enclosure sizes/tuning frequencies, until you get them both yielding frequency response plots that you like.
    THEN compare the enclosure volumes that you are ACTUALLY looking at.

Bear in mind - Many manufacturers specify the absolute minimum tolerable volume enclosure as the "recommended enclosure size" for two reasons:
    1) they are ensured, in such a tiny enclosure, the user won't overexcurt the sub at the rated input power = less warranty returns.
    2) they can brag about being "small box subs" = good marketing.

Adire is generally a bit more enthusiast-oriented... meaning that what they might refer to as their "recommended enclosure" will naturally be a little larger - by virtue of the customer segment they are appealing to, who wouldn't be satisfied with the response of the super-tiny enclosure.
    That doesn't mean the Adire driver wouldn't work in the super-tiny enclosure - maybe just as well as the other. It's just not what they recommend...
    Enclosure design is a dynamic thing in that way - so I'd seriously recommend downloading WinISD, and comparing them, right on the screen.
    That would be your best bet, IMO, for really making a more intelligent call on which sub would work best for you, in what size enclosure. B)