oem vs. brandname

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Speakers' started by mitster, Feb 28, 2011.

1. mitster

mitster New Member

hey guys, jus bought a set of sony xplod speakers (two XS-V6942A 6x9" and two XS-V1642A 6.5"ers) to replace the stock ones in my gf's saturn. installed one sony in the front door and fired up a cd to compare the two, to my surprise the oem seemed to be louder and producing more bass! does anyone know why this is? is it because the sony's are meant to complement a sub? i tried messing with the bass/treable and volume on the stock stereo to see if i could find any clarity difference anywhere and the only thing i could tell was the sonys were a little clearer on the highs.

2. caraudioking

caraudioking Full Member

reason being is the sony's need more power then the factory speaker's! factory will need very little power to get loud!

3. mitster

mitster New Member

ok, so does this mean the oem are more efficient? and why do the oem's seem to have a wider low-mid frequency range?

4. caraudioking

caraudioking Full Member

yes the oem's are more efficient! the reason the range is different between the 2 is because oem is designed to be efficient and have a broad range of versatility!

5. mitster

mitster New Member

alrite, so then what are the sony's designed for?? seems to me that effieciency and range should be the goal in speaker design?

6. caraudioking

caraudioking Full Member

sony never think's like a star audio competitor they build gear to be cost efficiant! they are a cheap company, this is why they arent on everyone's list for first to come!

7. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Many, but not all, factory speakers are 2-ohm. I've run into this alot. Many times a customer would want to improve sound by replacing factory speakers and they were disappointed in many cases. It was no longer as loud and the bass was gone.

For those customers that wanted to keep the factory radio, I would recommend Infinity speakers or other aftermarket 2-ohm speakers. These speakers would work well with factory radios

8. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

lets face it....oem is getting better.....not perfect, but better..

9. caraudioking

caraudioking Full Member

^i second this!