not again!! port ??'s

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by connerray2010, Nov 19, 2010.

1. connerray2010

connerray2010 Full Member

short and to the point! Whats better longer with bigger dia. or short with smaller dia.?

2. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

At tuning frequency the port makes almost all the sound, so it needs to be large enough. With small ports, we get port noise, air traveling in and out at very high speeds.

The thing is, we don't care about air. Its interfering with the sound that we want to come out of the port.

I use a general rule, for 1 10-inch woofer, I want a 3-inch port minimum A 4-inch would be prefered. For a single 12-inch, the absolute minimum size would be a 4-inch port with a 6-inch being recommended. Many times the box size determines the size of the port. So we need to be realistic.

3. connerray2010

Thanks. So to get this "in my terms" (contray boy) Style lol. So longer and bigger port is better than short and small to decrease "port noise". Right?

Well I already ported my 1.9 cf box with a shower drain "lol" ( powr man style) so its a shower drain with a 90•elbow and it 2x louder then it being in a sealed (kicker 12" l5 sub) and its more like tuned to ~33hz (recommended 35hz and it still hitz hard as f**k. See I'm not worried about "port noise" because my sub in the trunk and I can't hear the turbulence of the port so I'm all good with the short port. But I'm just wondering wich hit hrder short skiny or long fat? All what you sed is true ranger. Buti I'm lookin for pure spl regard sounds the port make. And yes you have a great theory goin "but does it apply to better beat or better sq or lil bit of both? (Been drinkin an lil tipsy so pardon the spellin. Lolol

4. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Larger is always better, again be reasonable. A 6-inch port will NOT fit in your 1.9 cu ft box. A 4-inch would be a good choice for your box.

Your right, you cannot hear port noise if the box is in the trunk. But Port noise is air rushing in and out of the port at very high speeds. It interferes with the sound we want coming out of the port. But lets think about it another way.

Your in a small row boat, (the boat is the sound) and you need to cross a river. (the river current represents the air velocity in the port). If the river has a very slow current, rowing across is no problem. If the current is very fast, rowing across becomes very difficult.

In a port the problem is worse. The air in the port is changing directions very rapidly. Imagine crossing that same river if the current changes directions every second.

So larger will have an improvement over small

My recomendation on tuning (if you want louder) would be get closer to 38-40Hz. The f3 point (how low it hits) will stay the same.

The biggest misconception I see is that many people believe that tuning lower causes it to hit lower. Thats so wrong. Box size effects f3 point alot more than tuning ever will.

5. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

i thought it was also to have a flatter response across the board.

6. connerray2010

Well its tuned to about 35~38 hz. I cant get an exact answer because the drain is has a few different dia. and iv got it as short as I can (the 90* elbow is about 2" down the "center line"
    kinda like this if it comes out right on the page

[)=

[ is drain opening.... ) is about 2" of tethering down to 2" from about 4" and then = is were the 90 starts and turns to the back of the box so its as shot as i can get it unless i buy a real port..

7. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Yes, by tuning lower the response is flatter. So if I'm concerned with SQ, I will typically tune a little lower. But if I wanna get the attention of everyone around me, I'm gonna tune Higher.

But also if I'm concered with SQ, I would use a sealed box.

In any case, if my f3 point is 36Hz and I'm tuned to 40 HZ, retuning to 30 will only drop my f3 point to maybe 35, if I'm lucky.

8. connerray2010

im not going to hurt my sub if i tune too high or low will i? its a kicker 12" l5..

9. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Manufactures recommend low tuning to protect poorly made woofers. To far below tuning frequency, woofer excursion increases alot and can damage the woofer. Many manufactures advertise really high Xmax values, when in reality they are barely able to handle a third of that advertised excursion. By lowering the tuning frequency, excursion decreases. Cheaply made woofer lives.

So How High can we safely tune? Be cautious.
    (SPL for this daily driver was 158.2)
    [​IMG]

I Built this many years ago, it was tuned to around 50 to 55Hz. The owner listened to it every day. He played the same music you and I listen to. He did not have any problem putting in a 30Hz test signal. We NEVER had to warranty a woofer for excursion problems, in fact we never had to warranty a woofer for any problem.

Now do I recommend you tune that high, absolutely NOT. But tuning around 40 is perfectly safe for any well built woofer.

By the way, those ports measure 13 x 13-inches

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010