New System in the Grand Marquis (Build Thread)

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by eazy, Dec 3, 2007.

1. eazy

eazy Full Member

Okay, here's what we're looking at for the newest system in my car...

Panasonic Headunit
    Sundown Audio SAE-1000D
    Sundown Audio SAX-100.4
    Fi Q15 with BP Power (4 cubes @ 31-32 Hz)
    5.25" CDT Audio Components
    5x7" MTX Audio Coaxials
    eD eDead v1SEĀ² (trunk and rear deck)
    big three with eD eNetic 1/0 gauge
    amp rack
    possibly beauty panels
    possibly kick panels
    possibly second battery

First, here's the empty trunk...
    [​IMG]

The headunit, components, coaxials, deadening, and big three have already been taken care of from the last system. The components are in the front doors and the coaxials are in the rear deck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just got my Q15 today...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's my trunk with the bottom piece of the box in it. The spare tire is going to be standing up behind the box so I can slide the box forward and lift the spare out if I need it. The old amp rack is behind it. The box has been designed but I'm still trying to figure out how I want to brace it. I'm using 3.5"x1.5" pieces of wood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My amps should come in tomorrow. I plan to use my single 1/0 gauge run into my mini-anl fused distribution block, where it will split off into two 4 gauge power wires. I will also use my ground distribution block... two 4 gauge grounds into one 1/0 gauge ground. These are pictures of the distribution blocks on my old amp rack with 3 amps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The box is going to be 21" tall, which will hide most of that shelf where I was going to put the amps, crossovers, distribution blocks, etc. I need ideas for an amp rack.

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

whats wrong with putting them in the current location?

or do you want to show them off?

3. eazy

eazy Full Member

Nothing, I just don't want it to look exactly the same as last time.

4. jmenace_thakidd

jmenace_thakidd Full Member

gonna be loud man i know i was happy with my p3 but the Q should definately smash that

5. danracer

danracer Full Member

now thats a sexy sub

6. eazy

eazy Full Member

Alright, my 2 amps came in. My kicker amps never had this many controls, so I'm going to need some help...

[​IMG]

1000D...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  7. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Nice! Good luck with that LOL. All i can say is either use all the crossovers on the amps or use the crossovers in your deck. Not both. You will have to bridge that one amp with the two channels for your fi

8. eazy

eazy Full Member

The owner of of Sundown Audio answered like 20 of my questions about all the controls on the amps about an hour after I posted my questions on SSA. I love this customer service!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  9. jmenace_thakidd

jmenace_thakidd Full Member

yea great people i cant wait to get back and hook up that 3000D

10. pedro quiroga

how long before your done hooking it all up?

11. eazy

eazy Full Member

Well I was planning on building the box this Saturday before work at 6pm, but now I have detention at 8am Saturday, so I don't know if I'll have time to get to it. I should be able to at least hookup the 4 channel and attach it to my old amp rack temporarily sometime this week.

12. eazy

eazy Full Member

Well I unhooked my kicker 350.2 and attached my new 100.4 to the old amp rack temporarily and hooked up the front channels. I need another RCA cable to hookup the rear speakers and some 16 gauge.

I really like the sundown's power light... instead of being a dim green light like on the kickers, it's a neon blue light on the side of the amp that makes a wide beam of blue.

This amp rack setup sucks. The sundown's have all their controls and RCA's on the left side and their speaker terminals and power/ground/remote terminals on the right side. I put the 100.4 on the left side of my old amp rack, and now the controls are on the far left side and you have to shift the whole amp rack and use a flashlight to see the controls... then adjust them. I need a better amp rack setup. Maybe I should build a new rack and put the amps at like a 30 degree angle with their left sides farther forward. That way, I can adjust the controls easier... I mean it doesn't take as much vision and skill to get the wires in the terminals.

13. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Everyone does things in their own way. I really try to visualize the finished project before I get started, and then I try to figure out what it might take to get there. Now the project will change as the build goes on, but the overall theme should remain similar to the original idea. Drastic changes in the middle of a project only make the project harder.

If you let me know what your trying to do (pic or good drawing would help) I might be able to help???

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  14. pedro quiroga

i would make the amp rack as user frienly as possible.

you did say it was a bit tight were its at now.

i now wish that i had thought of that when i had mine made.i have to remove everything to get to my amps settings.i.e subbox,spare tire.

15. eazy

eazy Full Member

Yeah I guess show quality isn't really a big theme. The box is shaped to fit a spare tire behind it and is only covered in regular trunk carpet. I guess the theme of my system is neatness and practicality. I don't think I'm going to do the whole grommet thing where the wires hide. I'll just roll the extra wire up and use zip ties.

16. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Mostly I agree. But in reality how many times do you need to get to your amps. I really think you need to do your best to make the install refect you and what you expect out of the install.

Do what you think is best, but remember that you will on Occasion open the trunk to show people. Pretty really pays off here. I call it "Awwww Appeal"

Anyway thats my 10-cents worth

17. pedro quiroga

you make a really good point there RANGER.your right i dont need to get to the amps once they are set,but as often as i realocate power i wish it where easier.(i rewired my M50's to run duel mono)that ment rewiring everything.

well at least i know it will be damn near impossible to remove them(amps) with out takeing the whole thing( i.e. truck)

the only two things that can be had would be the box and head.

18. eazy

eazy Full Member

Okay I got the 5x7's hooked up to the 100.4... it sounds much better. The 5x7's give it more depth. I have the gains at 1/2 for both the 5.25's and the 5x7's and I don't hear any distortion at volume 30/40 with the EQ on flat. I was a little surprised, because the 5.25's were rated for about 100 rms watts and the 5x7's are rated for 60 rms watts.

19. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

pure watts equals pure bliss

20. eazy

eazy Full Member

Alright, now I have engine noise. If I turn off the engine and turn the key forward like I'm going to start it, and the radio comes on, I get engine noise and the noise revs when I press the gas. I get engine noise when the engine is on too, but I'm not sure if the noise revs when I rev the engine (I have straight pipes so it's pretty loud).

I didn't used to get engine noise when I had the kickers... I only got it when I was playing music through my ipod and the ipod was charging through the cigarette lighter at the same time.

I used the same ground for the sundown... so I don't know why it would be any different. My amp ground is 4 gauge from the amp terminal to the distribution block, then 1/0 gauge from the distribution block to the metal. There's less than a foot of 4 gauge and like 2-2.5 feet of 1/0 gauge.

I ran my RCA's on the left side of the car, and my power wire on the right side of the car. My ground is on the left side of the car near the RCA's.

What do you guys think it is? The amp ground? The headunit?