New mid-bass speakers

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Speakers' started by kcox669live, Feb 26, 2012.

1. kcox669live

kcox669live Full Member

I just got these, Focal 6K2P. Focal sells them with a crossover and calls the set "bass extensions"

I found them on sale at woofersetc without the crossover:)

The specs say frequency response as 60-300hz. That usually means that the crossover only lets them get to 300hz or down to 60hz. So my question is, does anyone know the exact frequency response?

My plans are to use the active 24db high pass at around 90-110hz and let them roll off naturally on the high end, but I really have no idea where that might be. I need to know because I plan to use my comp speakers to take over from there.

Thanks for any help.

this one.jpg

2. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Tom Da Tech

Thia may sound stupid ( I am NEW ) Mid Bass ? NOt A total sub woofer ?

3. kcox669live

kcox669live Full Member

No such thing as a stupid question, bro.

A sub woofer is designed to reproduce very low frequencies, below human hearing in some cases. These are designed to reproduce frequencies just above that. I'm trying to find out exactly which frequencies though.

It has a lot to do with excursion. These aren't made to move in and out as far as a sub woofer is.

4. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

why not just play a sweep through them?

5. kcox669live

kcox669live Full Member

I did but I really couldn't tell, but they went a lot higher than where I was thinking anyway. Looking at a picture of the focal crossover, it has a couple of inductors so it's probably a low-pass at 300hz, but they sound clear way above that. I guess I'll have to build another crossover to make them roll off. I was thinking 800hz to 1khz?

6. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

play vocals thru them then.

im sure its a reg midrange/midbass woofer able to play higher, yet crossed over low for a midbass application. for all you know it may just roll off at 2k or more judging by what you said that they sound clear at higher freqs.

ive seen some subs with specs saying they can play as high as 1k or a little lower, but they usually aren't lowpassed that high.