New local shop boosts new technology

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by DaveDSMer, Mar 3, 2007.

1. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

Ok so I go down the street to this new car audio place that opens up. I was amazed to say the least. I mean these guys actually carry stuff like RE subs.. i was like.. thats a first for this area. I ended up talking to the guy for a while. He was talking about how he put this shop here because all the local shops basically suck. Which I agree. He was telling me about how they do their installs. He told me they use new age computer technology to download all structural and crash test data on the car they are working on the have the computer calculate the exact amount of pressure every point on the car is able to withstand then make a box to optimise the pressure to get max SPL for that particular vehicle. His guys were in the back there working on what looked like a newer Dodge Charger. I all of a sudden heard a bass note that was shaking the building and he had to close up the doors so we could continue talking. He was like yeah thats 2 12" subs with 150 watts going to em. My jaw about dropped. They are going to be hosting a db drag on the 17th just for kicks and I am going to try my best to get to if I am not working. But he told me he only makes ported boxes and every box is made specifically for your sub along with your car. He also said he has a guy worked for him that was a designer for AA .. I was like.. wtf? He also said he is a sponsor for realm of excursion and gave me some website that was his people but i forgot it lol. Anyways, yeah.. I was impressed.. very.. and his shop is walking distance from my house so I was was like hell yeah. Anyways yeah.. thats about all i wanted to say k thnx.

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

you thinking of haveing that shop do your sub box?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  3. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Damn...I would love to have a GOOD shop in my area.

There is only one shop that has the tools and skills to build boxes....but they don't use any programs to design em...they just build em to manufacturers spec.

4. Spkrman

Spkrman Full Member

The question is, where is the shop, and what site is it? :)

It would have to be somehow affiliate with TTB, just guessing.

5. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Thats what I was thinking...I don't know any other shops that have that expensive equipment...I remember Pete saying that software and such costs thousands and thousands of dollars...plus hours and hours designing

6. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

I will find out more info as soon as I can. I didnt have time to chat forever unfortunately. But I am really interested in these guys. Maybe I can get a job up there lol.

On a side note he did tell me that building boxes for cubic feet of airspace is a thing of the past and their designs basically throw that variable out the window until you hit space contraints. (this is for ported boxes by the way)

7. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

just checked their name under the RE dealers page.

Mobile Audio Concepts
    3101 Washington Rd Augusta, GA 30909
    706-863-3664

8. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

nice, good to have important contacts. Didn't happen to get the name of the software?

9. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Yep that is Team Toxic Bass working there...I think Tuan works there

10. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

I think so too azn i seem to recall that name mentioned.

11. jmenace_thakidd

jmenace_thakidd Full Member

ima hve to check them out for a box then

12. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

People also call him Toxic Tuan

13. sl0wm03

sl0wm03 Full Member

So they are using computers, to make the audio sound better buy building the boxes the computer says? ported.... Why is the ported box important with the air coming out of it? What does it do to make it sound better?

14. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

A vented, or ported box utilzes the back wave of the driver. At and above the port tuning frequency the air flow from the port is in phase with the driver and creates a very nice enviorment for the driver to work in. The advantage of a vented box, over say a sealed box isthe fact that it is more efficient, generally 3 decibals louder than the same driver in a sealed box. This greater efficiency helps in the dynamic range dept. it also eases the load on the amplifier a bit. SQ wise, it is very accurate if done right. The only real disadvantage is the fact that below port tuning frequency, the woofer essentially operates in a free air enviorment, not a good thing, and output is pretty much nill.

15. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Their computers use very high tech software...the soft ware even shows pressure areas in the box, cabin gain, air mass displacement crap, basically it helps designs a box for a woofer to the exact car.

Look here at the slide show at what designs they can make

http://www.teamtoxicbass.com/design/intro.htm

16. TheViking

Hmmm....

That Toxic site looks interesting.....

I am sure they are using some nice software to help them out......

But to be honest, they dont impress me. The designs of the enclosures are nothing more than bandpass/vented/transmission line/etc boxes that are being stated as more than they are IMO...

Not trying to slam them, They just are doing what anyone with some computers and software can do. Dammit I need to get back into this car audio field!!!!! LOL

I bet they dont even know how to check for tuning with a freq. generator and a keen eye!!!!!

17. sl0wm03

sl0wm03 Full Member

So then, basically a vented box is a better choice then a sealed box.... I'm not sure what to call it, but, the maze part. The longer the maze goes, the better the sound, or would you have to calculate it just right for the right sub, and that's what they use the computers for. Like azn says all the cabin, pressure, and what not.

Because if a vented box will sound better then a sealed box, I will more then likely make or get made a vented box.

Also, what is bandpass?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  18. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

The "maze" as you call it is the vent/port

And no the longer it is does not mean better sound. The tuning of the vent decides the reponse curve and gain of the enclosure.

two ports of the same area one 10 inches long and the other 20 inches long....the longer port is tuned lower. Does not mean the lower tuned box is better

19. TheViking

In most situations, a vented box will outperform a sealed box. Some will disagree, and that is fine. The "maze" part as you call it is a transmission line, or labrynth...it is a whole nother realm......

The method of a box interacting within said vehicle is important. I always did a quick evaluation of the car, and wht the customer liked to hear music wise. This led me to the tuning of the box and how it was positioned in the vehicle. Someone who iked rap, drove a pick up with no room behind the seats, usually got 2 ten inchers or 8"s and was tuned at about 40-45 Hz.

The guy in the Porcshe, who liked classic rock...got an 8 in the rear with a bunch of power and tuning was 35-40Hz....Unless he was willing to give up more space.....some would.

A bandpass ( or inproperly termed 6th order or 7th order...etc) is a box that generally allows for a woofer to play a narrow band of frequencies....but very loudly and efficiently....they are great for SPL sytems, or evn in the right car......the gain is usually in the 45-100Hz range......You wont get alot of low end gain out of one....unless made that way...but then you wil lose out in the upper bass, they generally will only play about an octave effectively....maybe a little wider. But the type of vehicle will play into this also.....I personally like the single reflex design overall in the automotive enviorment.Can play low in the right car...and maintain a high efficieny...

20. ibanezFreak87

ibanezFreak87 Full Member