New amp for new sub

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by jmay, Aug 21, 2011.

1. jmay

jmay Member

I should have a Cerwin Vega Vmax 124, Tuesday. I hope to begin working on the box, tomorrow. I want to know what you guys recommend as an amp. It's a dvc 4 ohm sub. I plan to run the amp at a 2 ohm load.

MAX Power: 1000W
    RMS Power: 500W

I have looked at Cerwin Vega's Vega Series 500.1.

MAX Power: 1000W x 1 @ 2Ω
    RMS Power: 500W x 1 @ 2Ω

It specs out perfect for the sub. The only problem is that I have no idea what their amps are like. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.

2. jmay

jmay Member

I've been looking around at all types of amps. To be honest, I'm thoroughly confused. There's a lot of stuff out there. I would like to spend around $200.00, shipped. I know this is not going to be a really loud system, I just want to get everything out of the sub that I can. I don't want to underpower it, but I don't want to spend a bunch of money on an amp that can't work to it's full potential, either. Help. Please give me a few ideas.

3. shriver187

shriver187 Full Member

i have an RE audio dts1500.1 i can sell u for 200 shipped if ur interested... very good sound quality and more then enough power for the sub.. im going bigger otherwise i would keep it.. it still has like 10 months of warranty left..

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  4. jmay

jmay Member

So, this is basically a U.S. Amps amplifier. I know they used to make great products. Is that still the case? Would I just keep the gain turned down to prevent damage to the sub? What are you currently running with this amp?

5. shriver187

shriver187 Full Member

i run 2 15" RE audio srx... and yes it is a us amps product.. the gain wouldnt be such a big deal.. u would only need about a 1/4 gain.. it is a very very clean amp.. i run it at 1 ohm and my 15's are rated only 100 watts more then ur 12 and i run 1000 to them.. its clean power which isnt bad for speakers u know..