New alternator or not?

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by chevan98, Aug 9, 2010.

1. chevan98

chevan98 Full Member

Ok I'm building a system for my standard cab 90 nissan mini pickup. It has a 2.4 motor with the original 60 amp alternator.No power accessories, no A/C. I have a JL J2 1000.1 amp. It's 1000w a 1 ohm and 700w at 2 ohm. I plan on running a single 12 or 10 sittin shotgun on the passenger seat. I want to be able to run a 1 ohm load if I want. I estimate my system will be between 900 and 1200 watts with a four channel amp also depending on what impendence I run....... I'm not sure if I need to do a alternator upgrade or not........ I am definently going to do the big three and a good battery and was thinking It would be a good idea to go ahead and replace the alternator with a new or rebuilt stock one a least. The truck is 20 years old and I'm sure that the alternator is not putting out 60 anyway.

I have already looked and couldn't find a alternator more than 60 amps for this truck. Does anyone know of any good universal alternators. I also have been told not to use universal alternators. What do you guys think?????

2. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

I feel you are correct in your assumption. I also have a 90 nissan PU same as you. I dont have any stereo in it whatsoever. 60 amps could get you by for now...as long as you dont keep the volume "pedal to the metal" for extended periods. As for an upgrade, I probably would not go with a remanufactured stock alternator. I would get something along the lines of 100-120 amps of output. If i remember correct its a tight spot down in the engine compartment, so i am not sure what will physically fit. I have dealt with a universal alternator before and I believe it did as advertised, It was a GM large case and I think it took some creative welding and bracket fabrication. Dont recall who made it...