Need some explaining on some stuff

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by sl0wm03, Dec 30, 2006.

1. sl0wm03

sl0wm03 Full Member

Now like I said Audio is not my thing....... Computers are, so I was wondering if anyone can explain me why these are good. These were posted by DaveDSMer on a post I was going through. I do love bass, and I want people to hear me coming down the street. So if someone can explain...

Infinity Reference 1250w 12" 4-ohm subwoofer
    (Heres a pic, I don't wanna post it because it will stretch out the forums)
    http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2005/108/h1081250W-f.jpeg

How are watts rated? How are ohms rated?
    The way I seen it, is the more watts, then the louder they are. But then again, I know that watts is a ceratin ammount of electrical charge, and ohms is how the electrical is kindof rated.
    --------------------------------------

» 12" 4-ohm subwoofer
    » polypropylene woofer cone with large-roll rubber surround
    » innovative basket design minimizes depth
    » progressive spider design for excellent cone control
    » frequency response: 23-400 Hz
    » power range: 60-300 watts RMS (1,000 watts peak power)
    » sensitivity: 93 dB
    » top-mount depth: 5-1/8"
    » sealed box volume: 1.25 cu. ft.
    » ported box volume: 2.00 cu. ft.
    » Recommended Q-Logic Box Type: 1, 2

I have no idea bout all of that stuff. So if someone can explain that to me also. I will probably be answering alot of questions, I will learn this in no time if it's explained good.
    Thank ya Thank ya

2. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

well, lets start with ohms....Ohms are basically the resistance to electrical flow, this is measured in Ohms, as you have stated, a more proper term is impedance....the higher the number, the more resistance it has, the lower the number, the closer you get to a dead short....

8 ohms is resiting more current than 1 ohm.....ZERO ohms is basically a dead short, or a good soild electrical connection.....

wattage is good, the more the better. BUT, not all wattage rating from amps are accurate!!!! (long story)

The more wattage you have the more power that can be fed into your speakers. this is good, to a point! With higher wattage amps you get loud!!! but TOO much can make speakers go POOF!!!!

You told me you want a loud sytem for your car....Ok...

We need to sit down and figure out a few things.........

Are you willing to stick with us and let us help YOU help yourself? If so, we can get you on the right path. We are NOT here to puch any particular product, nor MAKE you buy anything, we will offer you advice that is solid and proven......

My first 2 questions are this....

what kind of vehicle do you have? (be detailed)

And what kind of budget do you have?

3. sl0wm03

sl0wm03 Full Member

Thanks for the resonse....

So in the case of OHMS, it would be better to get 2 OHMS, then 4 OHMS
    I do, I will stay here, I've already been learning new things.

2000 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab, 3rd door
    (Might be getting a different vehicle)

My budget.. I really don't have much of a budget except for the fact that I want it as cheap as I can get it, but also as loud as I can get it.
    But under 1,000

Last edited: Dec 30, 2006
  4. TheViking

A 2 ohm spekaer is NOT better than a 4 ohm or 8 ohm speaker, there is NO difference in sound quality (SQ) with all things being equal. The impedance of the woofers is determined by what amp you may want, how many woofers, and things such as that.

A grand will get you some boom boom in your truck. Now, how much speace are you willing to give up in your cab for a sub box and woofers? The more the better.....

And are you willing or have the capacity to build your own enclosure for the woofers?

Oh, and what kind of music do you prefer to listen too? be honest here....

5. sl0wm03

sl0wm03 Full Member

Well, in the back seat, it lifts up, and there is a pretty good ammount of space i the back under neith the seats. But right in the middle of the truck there's a hump in it. So I cant make a box that goes strait across. It's either cut the box with a hump in the middle, or have 2 seperate boxes with the amp in the middle.

Yes, I do plan on building my own enclosures.

I listen to mostly rap, with HHHHARRRRRRDDDDDDD bass. But everyonce in a while I will listen to some rock and some soft music.

6. TheViking

Yep, i am gunna reccomend 4 10 inchers, or 4 12 inchers, or even 2 15 inchers if ya got the room. I reccomend a vented box, with whatever woofers you can afford, along with a st of woofs that are efficient and like smaller enclosures.

Amp wise...lots to choose from...If your gunna build the box yourself, that will save you some bucks!!! That can be put into the wiring and equipment.

Might take a look at soundstream.....kick ass stuff.

Also, do you want to upgrade the factory radio and/or speakers? That will take a HUGE bite out of your subs budget if so.....

7. sl0wm03

sl0wm03 Full Member

I have seen some speakers on the net that have been posted here that are around 130 dollars. But the problem I think about is buying the subs, then not having a strong enough or not even enough amps to push the subs.

Yes, I do plan on buying a new Radio, and getting rid of the speakers in the door panels and back seat panels.
    And that ofcourse is kindof where I start to get more confused. I see that Radios and the speakers use Watts. Do they use the amps power also?

8. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

Well the headunit (radio) has an internal amplifier but since you want a lot of bass its best to use a different amplifier for your small speakers. Since you are wanting to use 4 speakers.. a pair in the front and a pair in the rear... its usually a good idea to go ahead and get a 4 channel amp for them.

For the sub, basically the ohm ratings on the subs give you wiring options, at least thats the way I look at it.

Here is a link to see what I mean about how to wire subs.

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp
    Just plug in the number of subs and their voice coil ohm rating.

Once you understand that you can then understand how to match up Sub amps to them. If you wired your subs to have a 2ohm load then the amp must be 2ohm stable. Same thing if you wired down to a 1ohm load.. you need a 1ohm stable amp. The reason people like to run lower ohm loads is basically the amp can push more power with a lower ohm load. For example, lets say you have an amp that pushes 500rms @ 4ohm the same amp , if 2 ohm stable, could push 750rms @ 2ohm. So you are getting more power just buy dropping the ohm load on the amp.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2006
  9. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

the speakers use power.radio's put out power.

here's somthing to think about. i helped a buddy do his 2000 siverado 3 door last month.was easy except for that rear drivers 4x6.you have to remove the rear seat.as for bass i have seen subs posted here for dirt cheap.like in the 50's per sub for 10,s.

you'll have a tough time useing that hump for subs.better off useing that spot for an amp.you can get 2 12's under the seats.you should fire them down so if someone uses the seat they dont hinder sub movment.my friends kid sits on it and the sub hits the seat bottom.

his radio puts out alot of usable power for his mids and highs. we didnt even take out the factory tweets in the front door.still sounds good.his old ones were toast.all dry rotted.the rear speakers did sound fine but he wanted new ones so out they went.you may want to keep the rears.you'll have more money for your subs.

a good cd player should run you about 250ish.front doors another 100 to 200.my friend has some polk db's 6.5's. cost me 99.00 at ciurcut city.you can maybe find them cheaper online.(i sold him mine)

10. sl0wm03

sl0wm03 Full Member

Thanks for telling me this info. I'm still gonna have to read and learn about OHMS though. And as for the people sitting on them, I was gonna have them put against the back of the truck, and the speakers will be facing the front of the truck. I was just gonna cut over the hump in the middle and set the amp there

11. pedro quiroga

the subs wont fit behind the seat only under them.an amp will fit behind the seat and thats about all that will fit.

http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/518721/1

check this out should help you...i hope

12. sl0wm03

sl0wm03 Full Member

hayy... Yea I think I'm gonna have to take some measures of it. See if I can fit the amps under neith the front seats. Not sure, but I know I will figure it out somehow.

See this is kindof how I was thinking. Bu tnot sure if I can fit two 10" side by on each side, with the amp inside it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2006
  13. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

take some measurements and see what kind of clearance you have to really figure it out.

14. sl0wm03

sl0wm03 Full Member

It's about 50 inches from the righ side of the truck to the left side of the truck. The hump in the middle is about 14 inches. I'm left with 18 inches on each side

15. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

what about height. Need to know how tall of box you can make since you wanted to have them fire forward.

16. sl0wm03

sl0wm03 Full Member

Lol sorry, forgot about height, would say 18 inches height. Then about 22inches from the front of the seat to the back... back of the cab.

17. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

so you have about a 18 H 18 W 22 D area on each side of the truck with about a 14 W 22 D area for an amp. So 1 box on each side with the sub firing foward and you have plenty of room to fit an amp between them. Sounds like a good deal. Were you going for sealed or ported?

So I just basically plugged in the numbers in a rough calulator to see your cubic air space. I basically put it in a box 16" x 16" x 20" giving you an extra 2 inches all the way around just for any human error and with 3/4" thick material. That gives a cubic air space of about 2.25 cu ft.

You could easily fit a prefab sealed enclosure in that amount of area. A ported box though I would really make myself. So you have the space we have established that. Now, what size sub do you want. You could do up to a 15" driver with that kind of room.

18. pedro quiroga

you might run into a prob with the passeger seat.you may not be able to mount an amp there.now the drivers side......if you dont move the seat around you should be able to get one under it.

you know for big heavy bass you may want to look into some kicker L series 10's or 12's.heared a f-150 with a box under his rear seat and HOLY CRAP it was loud and deeeep.now he did have a TON of power too.something in the nieghborhood of 1000 watts in bass,but only deck power for his mid's & highs.i think his sub amp was a kicker also.maybe the 1000.1

19. pedro quiroga

i dont think the space from the floor to the seat is 18 inches. it should be more like 12 or 14.

look at that pic.if those are 10's,and thats a silverado then your numbers can not be correct.

20. sl0wm03

sl0wm03 Full Member

Dave. All these calculations. I was just sitting here because I have four 10", subs have magnets in the back of them right? So I cannot set them back to back or the magnets will pull on each other. Correct me if I'm wrong. But do you think this kindof box will work

[​IMG]

Have 2 on top. 2 on bottom, aligned in different places. The sub will still go in the middle. I might have to add a diagonal wood in between them if I have enough space. Tell me if you think that will work.

Pedro, If I don't set the amp by or mounted in the middle. Then I've seen them bolted underneith the driver and passenger seats. But the problem with that is, I don't have an amp so I don't know any measuremeants. Ahhhh your making me anxious telling me about these loud bass

I'm not sure where that pic went I posted up there. But those were 12" subs, IF I am right. I don't have a measure stick, lol i used a ruler. and the way that it was made, well I don't know how high off the ground they were I would say maybe 1 or 2 inches. Then the top of it was about 4 inches, the sub dips down. ( I can't really explain it.) But the height 17 18