Need help

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by zk111222, Oct 29, 2011.

1. zk111222

zk111222 New Member

Well I have an amp that runs 69Watts RMS at 4 Ohms per channel, 92Watts at 2Ohms per channel and 180Watts bridged at 4Ohms. It is 2 channel.

I have a speaker boombox thing that includes two horn tweeters and two8inch subs. The impedance and wattage is UNKNOWN. If you need pictures of it i can surely post them, even of the wiring(i will disassemble it for you).

Q: If i hook up the amp, one channel going to one sub and one tweeter and the other channel to the other sub and tweeter, without knowing the impedance of the boombox, would i be ok, since i can keep the gain just below the level it starts to distort. Its hard to explain to you. Surely there can be no harm done since the amp will be at 2ohms per channel so the boombox cant be lower than 2ohms(i dont really mind if miss out on some power since i need to make sure they work)

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

those type of enclosures are rarely wired for 2 ohms per ch... most likely 4 ohms per channel.

if your unsure get a multimeter and check it.

3. zk111222

zk111222 New Member

Thanks for the reply pedro, i don't really mind about the ohmage, i will get either 69w per channel or 92w per channel, i am concerned about the wattage, i dont want to overpower them, so , and since there's no way to find out the watts, can i tune my amp's gain up until it distorts, then tune it down a bit and keep it like that?

4. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

if you know what to listen for, then sure. thats how ive always set my gains. i can go full tilt with minimal distortion.