Need help with installation of Kenwood KDC-MP345U deck

Discussion in 'Car Audio Head Units' started by Brandon8807, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Brandon8807

Brandon8807 New Member

I just bought my new deck yesterday and had attempt number one of installation. I got the dash panel all dismantled, wired it up, and now I've run into a problem. At first I didn't have display on the deck, but fixed that once I found out I had to tap into a fuse. Now that I have that problem fixed, I'm experiencing a problem with having NO audio. Not all of the speakers are wired together properly, but there are some that are. However, even the speakers wired into the deck correctly still aren't giving me any audio. Does anybody have any ideas as to what might be the cause of this?

Thanks!

Brandon

2. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

your installation might be the problem!!! Sorry guys I could not resist. Did you hook up the antenna? What do you mean you tapped into a fuse?? Did you read the instruction manual? Did you try playing a CD or just listen to the radio? How do you have the speaker wires connected, you need to look in the manual or on the headunit itself and look at the diagram. If you have 1 wire from the front left and the other wire from the right front, hooked up to 1 speaker you wont get any sound. Double check ALL the wires.

3. Brandon8807

Brandon8807 New Member

For the first part of your comment, on my car, which is a 2002 Monte Carlo SS, the factory harness didn't have a 12-volt accessory lead, so I had to use a fuse tap to get an accessory power source from the fuse box. This fixed my problem of not having a display on my deck. However, on my speaker wiring, I looked at the guide on my kenwood manual referring to wire colors/function, and noticed that when my friend wired it up he mixed some of them up. I tried using both the tuner and the cd player, with no audio coming out. As I said, some of the speaker wires are hooked together correctly, so I thought there might still be audio coming out of those speakers, but there isn't. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the most experienced when it comes to this. I ran out of daylight today, so tomorrow when I get home from work i'm going to correct the wiring that my friend did. I just didn't know if I should expect audio to come out of the speakers that were correctly wired if I had some that were also incorrectly wired.

4. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

sorry i just had to yank your chain a bit. You should have 2 power wires, one should go to ign, power when you turn the car on, the other would be constant so you dont lose your memory (presets, clock) and the other would be ground. You should have 8 speaker wires, 4 negative and 4 positive, you stated that "some of the speakers are not hooked up correctly" you need to make sure ALL are hooked up the they are supposed to be. Aslo if there is any type of cell phone thingy that mutes when you get a call, check that out also.

5. Brandon8807

Brandon8807 New Member

I got it figured out. While some of the speaker wiring was incorrect, I still should have had audio coming out of the ones that were correctly wired. I called one of my friends and they told me that I needed to connect the amp wires regardless of whether or not I had and amp hooked up. I rewired the mistakes that my friend made, hooked up the amp wires, and finally had audio. Thanks for the input though, I appreciate it.