need help plz

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by zin, Jun 30, 2006.

1. zin

zin Full Member

o3 ram 1500 reg cab, getin a pioneer deh-p7800mp along with infinity ref 6010cs 2 ways in doors, lookin at either infinity perfect kappa 12.1 4ohm or alpine type r 12's 4ohm, what amp would u use to run one of these subs? the comps will be on a 4 ch amp. can spend around $600 on sub/amp. want good sq, thx guys. btw, big newb here, so keep it simple plz:)

p.s. sub will be in a small sealed box.

2. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

I'd say a Boston Acoustic G2 10 or 12 inch. I think around 170-190 at crutchfield.com (only place I could find Boston subs without worrying about warrenty issues)

My friend has two Boston G2 10's ina ported box powered by a pioneer 760 watt amp and it sounds sooo clean and perfect sq. He's only pushing around 180 watts rms to those subs and they still hit loud and clean...These Bostons have a good efficiency rating for subs so they don't need tons of power.

You looking for one or two subs?

Amp??? depends on how much you have left after sub(s)

3. zin

zin Full Member

thx anzboi3644, was wantin just 1 sub, want it to blend well and be able to go kinda low too and not be really really loud for the most part, but would like to be able to adjust it to pound hard if i want it to ;) dont know if im askin more than whats possible or not.

4. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

5. zin

zin Full Member

600 for sub/amp, can go xtra for wire and such. but what bout the 2 subs i have listed, what mono amp would go well with one of them in a 1.0cf small sealed box?

6. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

There are sooo many amps out there but I really like the Memphis 500D.

I mean Alpine, JBL, Boston, Kenwood, Nakamichi, theres so many other choices...It's just up to what you want

What sub are you going to use?? Personally I don't like the Alpine Type R as much as the Boston...I've heard them both...Currently I have 2 Type R 12's in my explorer cuz they are a friends and I'm only using them while I build a new box for my 10's. The Bostons have a lot better overall sound quality.

The Infinity Perfects are also wonderful subs and can get LLLLOOOOWW....still clean and tight too.

7. ibanezFreak87

ibanezFreak87 Full Member

Infinity 1240W or the 1242W, don't spend a lot on the sub, spend most of the money on the amp. that sub is 300 watt RMS and 1200 watt max, I have two and their hooked up to a Alpine 1000 watt rms amp and they are perfect. only loud when you turn them up, and plus, check ebay, you could get a 1240 for 50- 60 bucks and a 1242 for 100 bucks. good luck. and remember - ported box = rap, sealed box = rock

8. zin

zin Full Member

thx for feedback guys, been lookin at them some more and will be goin with the inf perfect 12.1. its 75-350rms and 1400 maxx 4ohm single voice coil, what size amp would push it good and what ohm can i wire it to get the best power to it from sub, name of sub dosnt really matter imo as long as i stick to a well known name brand, just the size in watts and what ohm is the question now. again thanks alot for yall time on this with me, i know questions like these seems silly to all who know about this stuff, but not to someone who dosnt have much of a clue other than what ive read on here ;)

9. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Ported isn't always for rap and sealed isn't always for rock. Ported is just for deeper response while sealed is tight response. Genre of music has little to do with enclosure. Just preference of the listener.

Also spend as much as you want on subs...you get what you pay for. But with the right enclosure a 30 dollar sub can sound better than a 200 dollar sub in a crappy enclosure.

As for an amp, if you want to stick to well known name brands than any known amp that pushes 400 watts rms at the impedance of the sub will do.

Another question for you...what impedance is that perfect?

10. zin

zin Full Member

anzboi3644, impedance is 4ohms

11. zin

zin Full Member

so i would need an amp to run 400 rms at 4ohms since its 4ohm speaker? so an amp that says 400x1@4ohms would be what i need as in power and ohms?

12. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Well you can either get a mono amp that pushes 400 watts rms at 4 ohms.

Or you can get a 2 channel amp that puts out around 400 watts rms bridged.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14964
    -This would do nicely and good price too. Puts out 400watts per channel at 2 ohms....meaning 800 watts bridged at 4 ohms.

As long as you have your settings right it will not blow the sub even though it has the power to. Also the amp will not even be pushed hard mean cleaner power, better sound quality, and a cooler running amp.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2006
  13. zin

zin Full Member

14. zin

zin Full Member

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=16412
    or this one? sorry, dont know how to get more than 1 link on a post, i just dont wanna waste money killin amp or sub not having everything adjusted right or tryin to get it adjusted right if runnin way over what sub says rms is, so play it safe and go 400 rms or is safe to go to 500/550 rms?

15. weird22person

weird22person Full Member

Get the DVC and wire it in parrallel. That way you can run you amp at 2 ohms to squeze some extra power out of it.

16. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

There is no need to push the sub at its limits.

Running an amp at 2 ohms instead of 4 ohms doesn't always mean more powero output. 2 channel amps normally put out max power at 2 ohms stereo or 4 ohms bridged. Monoblock normally put out max at 2 ohms. So either will do.

He chose the 4 ohm version so a big mono or a good stereo amplifier will do nicely.

Zin did you not see that the MB Quart RAA2400 is able to push 400 rms at 2 ohms stereo or 800 rms bridged?

But either amps you have listed will do the job fine.

17. zin

zin Full Member

yes, i seen that, but just figured goin with a mono would keep it simple and straight forward for me= less chance for me to mess up hehe:D. but if u think gettin a 2ch and runnin it bridged would be better than a mono, i will look at some more 2ch amps. i have had some friends tell me that mono is best if i just run a single sub, but not sure if they know their stuff like u do. so im all ears and takin notes while on here lol

p.s. remember, i dont really want to be rattlin windows across the street, but hit hard if i get in the mood to do so, just want nice bass to go with the rest of my stuff i have listed, dont want my highs/mibs way over my bass nor bass way over highs/mids. a nice all around system is all im after :)

p.s.s 1 more question, how can i make a mono amp runni a 4ohm single voice coil like the inf perfect see a 2 ohm load. like some amps say 400x1@4ohms or 650x1@2ohms. how can i make it run at 2ohms?

18. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Only way to run the amp at 2 ohms is to get have dual 4 ohm coils and wire them in parallel i.e pos to pos on sub to pos on amp and same with neg.

Well your friends are wrong on that a mono is the best to run a single sub. An amp is an amp...Mono amps are normally more efficient class d amps while 2 channels are normally better sound quality class ab amps.

There is no real way to load an amp at 2 ohms with a 4 ohm sub.

19. zin

zin Full Member

ok thx aznboi3644, you have been a big help thx again for all the answers :)

20. weird22person

weird22person Full Member

Thats what i meant. If the mono amp he choose was 2 ohm stable(most of them are) then you could use a dual 4ohm to squeeze some extra power. Saves some money can go with something a little better.