need help designing my first box

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by Curt, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Curt

Curt Full Member

ok i just ordered http://www.audioque.com/aq/SDC2_5_Series.htm 15 inch sub, and i would like to build a ported box for it, however i have no clue on this stuff, its all greek to me. i have quite a bit of space in my trunk to work with so space isnt really an issue, so if you guys could help me design a box that would be great.

2. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

max dimensions?

3. Curt

Curt Full Member

well its dark outside so i cant really go outside and measure right now but rough estimate for max dimensions would be 17inches high by 30 inches long, depth really doesnt matter.

4. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

if you go ported, you're definitely going to need more than 30 inches wide seeing as how you'd need AT LEAST 31.5 wide (15+15+1.5 for wood thickness, assuming that you are going to use 3/4 mdf)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  5. Curt

Curt Full Member

if i put the box closer to the opening of the trunk i could get like 40 inches wide or so, but up near the seats is alot narrower

6. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

ok im no box building expert, but i was playing around with this box calculator i have..

i have 17H/36W/28D

port- 15.5H/4W/16L

Using 0.38 for sub displacement for both 15s.

Tuning is at 32 hz with about 83-111inches of port

8.2cu ft before all displacements. 6.95cu ft after displacements.

7. Curt

Curt Full Member

oh man im sorry, i think i forgot to add that i only have one of these subs, not 2.

8. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

lol im not sure why i thought you had two of them...let me get back to you in like 10 mins

9. Curt

Curt Full Member

ok thanks man, your awesome!

10. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

17H/30W/22D

Port is - 15.5H/3W/24L

used 0.19 for sub displacement.

tuned to 32hz with 48-64inches of port.

3.99cu ft after port/sub displacement and 5.24 before

11. Curt

Curt Full Member

thanks man, now hopefuly i can build the box before the sub arrives.

also, isnt 32hz kind of low? on the AQ website they recommend 40hz. im not saying your wrong i just want to be sure before i go ahead and make this

12. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

ya. if you tune th AQ subs to 38, they peak around 32 so yes. these need to be tuned high

13. Curt

Curt Full Member

ok i just went out and measured the space i have and i can easily do 30 inches wide with like 35 being max, 28 is pushing it for depth i would be more comfortable with like 26 and height is too high max i can do is 15 MAYBE 16

could anyone possibly design me a box with those dimensions in mind tuned to 38 hz? i would really greatly appreciate it!

14. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

First the box will need to be 16-inches tall, a 15-inch sub is usually between 16 and 16-1/2 inches in diameter.

Here is what I would do. Build the box with these dimensions. 30-inches wide. 24-inches deep and 16-inches tall. The port will be 14-1/2 inches tall by 3-inches wide. The port will need to be around 14 inches long.

This should get you a really good deep and loud bass.

Check out this thread on building your box
    http://www.caraudiotalk.com/audio-forum/showthread.php?t=7031

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  15. Curt

Curt Full Member

the only problem with that is for me to be able to fit a 16 inch box in there would require a bit of modification to my rear deck, i would rather not have to do that if possible.

16. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

then the sub will have to be pointed up or maybe built at an angle to make room for it.

17. Curt

Curt Full Member

yeah i was thinking about doing an angled box, i would do an upward facing box but my rear deck rattles enough as it is, so i guess ill try to design a angled box, ill let you guys know how it turns out, ill probably be building it within the next few days

18. pedro quiroga

if your deck rattles then some deadener is in order till it goes away.

ive used peal n seal cause money was tight and its worked for me. unless you can get some good stuff then do that.

19. Curt

Curt Full Member

yeah sound deadener is gonna be my next "upgrade", would you suggest doing the front doors as well as trunk?

20. pedro quiroga

yes the doors will benefit from deadener as well, makes for a good mid bass.