need box dimensions

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by Kvo_8, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

Hey guys, I bought a DC audio level 3 12" and I need some box dimensions so i can make a box. It's going in a 03 acura rsx and the max dimensions are 35W x 17D x 15H ...i'd like to keep the depth no more than 17 if possible, even shorter would be nice so i can use some of my hatch lol. What do you guys think would work best in a hatchback? I'm thinking port up/sub back...right now i just have some kicker comps i had laying around in there in a pre fab sealed box pointed up towards the hatch glass and it sounds decent. I'd also like a tuning around 32-34hz.

Here's the link to the specs of the sub. It's a DC Audio Level 3 12"
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com/specs.html

Thanks in advance :)

2. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

good deal...appr3eciate the link...wish more folks would do it!

Will try and run some numbers this wkend....get back to you on this when I can...

3. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

ok take your time, im in no rush to get the dimensions as of yet because im going to be going out of town for the weekend and im broke :( lol

4. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

hey kvo, whats new?

in my hatch, sub up port back worked really well. i ran against an integra a few years back. his had an 18 so sub up port back was his only option.

but sub and port back work well too. i guess it all depends on whether you want to display the sub or not. either way port back should work out just fine.

5. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

hey pedro, not much has been new, just been trying to stay away from car audio so it doesnt eat up all my money lol. but i'll try sub up port back or whatever you guys feel is going to sound the best. im willing to give it a shot..so whoever designs it, just let me know what you decide :)

6. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

bump for box dimensions

7. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Are we dealing with just one woofer?

8. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

yup, just a single dc lvl 3 12"

9. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

OK Kvo....

Sorry i aint got back to you sooner....

I have a few things to do to try and get my box program up and running on linux...I hope i can make it work......I am working on getting that and a few other programs working that are based on windows running under this OS. Sorry I aint been able to help you out sooner. I gots priorities!!!! LOL!

In the meantime, give Ranger all he needs for info...he is VERY capable of guiding you in the right direction...

10. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

OK, they recommend 1.5 cu ft box, but I need just a little more volume. So I added 0.5 cu ft, for a 2 cu ft box. (Remember port area does not count) This box is small enough to give you plenty of hatchback area.

The outside dimensions should be 30-inches wide by 13-inches tall by 14-inches deep.

The port will be 11.5-inches tall by 1.75-inches wide by 16-inches long.

Your cuts should be
    Bottom and Top Board 30-inches by 13.25-inches
    The Back Board will be 30-inches by 11.5-inches
    The (2) sides will be 12.5 inches by 11.5-inches

One portboard will be 11.5-inches by 10.75-inches, the other will be 11.5-inches by 5.25-inches

Finally the Baffle (cut it after the box is built)
    It will measure 30-inches by 13-inches

Please follow the directions here
    http://www.caraudiotalk.com/audio-forum/showthread.php?t=7031

The port and speaker should, in most cases face the same direction. This minimizes any weird problems

Always double check my measurements.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  11. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

thanks a lot for all of your help guys. i wasnt expecting you to be so thorough with your post ranger lol, but i really appreciate it. im going to try to get the box built asap. i'll post pics when i do and i'll let you know how it sounds

12. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Opps, I double checked my board cut measurements and made a few corrections