My system as it stands...

Discussion in 'Pictures and funny Stuff.' started by Willy D, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

Here are some pics of the system right now....

HU...Alpine 9856 (gonna upgrade...hopefully soon)
    Front stage...Polk MOMO 6.5 separates
    Rear fill...Infinity refernce 6.5 coax
    Front amp...One half of the JL 450/4
    Rear...running of HU
    Subs...2 12" JL Audio W1 in sealed box running off of large part of 450/4

The Soundstream in the picture is not hooked up...originally was gonna run the rear fill off of this...I am gonna connect my Kenwood class D to the subs and run the front stage off the large part of the 450/4 (150 w rms) and the rear fill off of the smaller section (75w rms)...

I want to redo the mounting of the amps and hide all the wiring...The tahoe seems to have a peak in the upper mid that can sound harsh. I want to upgrade the HU to one with a paramteric EQ to tame the harsh upper mids..

Willy

Attached Files:

2. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Looks very clean willy! how do you like the W1's?

3. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

nice and clean my friend!

4. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

Thanks guys...

I like the W1's...I think they hit pretty hard and SQ is good...This is not a DB machine for sure...it will play pretty loud but nothing like some of these very hard hitting vehicles...This is the largest interior space vehicle I have ever owned. Right now each sub is powered by one channel of the 450/4...So each sub is seeing 150 w rms...The polks are seeing 75 per side...I am pretty sure if I pumped twice that amount to the subs and fronts that I would increase the dynamics a decent amount and most of all give me some more headroom...In the tahoe when I push the volume to over 3/4 of HU gain, it starts to sound a little harsh in the upper mids...Subs stay pretty clean. I set my bass on zero and I have to keep my treble about -4 at the HU...

I believe the subs are 4 ohm each so I cannot bridge the two channels on the 450/4 to run them. That amp can't push 2 ohm bridged....My Kenwood class D is rated at 900 to 2 ohms...The 150 x 2 side of the JL would power the Polks and that would double the power to them..I believe the Polks are rated at 150 w rms...Then the 75 w x2 section would run the coax's in the rear doors...Parametric should be able to find and tame the harsh upper mid. Dynamat would help alot in the whole vehicle...maybe down the road...

Willy

5. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

looks good. what happened to the 8's tho?

6. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

I still have the 8's, but the box I built for them (I think) is the problem...They don't sound good at all...No punch...Good resonant low end but no punch...Maybe in a different box...maybe put them in a sealed box...I want accuracy and punch...SQ is first for me....The 12" W1's sound 10 times better than those 8's did in that box...

Willy

7. pedro quiroga

what coil configuration are they? just askin is all.:cool:

8. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

I believe they are exactly the same as yours pedro...Dual 2...I will doule check...What are the dimensions of your box?

9. pedro quiroga

38.5 x 13x 17.

port is 2in tall 14in wide and goes in 9 inches then up 9 inches.

plays down to 23HZ with some good output and as high as 80HZ before it rolls off. blends in ok with my mid bass too.

i had to edit this willy my bad its 14 wide not 9

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009