My set-up, issues, suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Willy D, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

Hey guys....I have not been on here a whole lot for quite a while...Life events pulled me away...Here is my set-up and issues:

2001 Tahoe....
    HU: Alpine 9856.
    Front stage: Polk Mo Mo separates
    Rear fill: Infinity reference
    Sub: JL Audio single 12 in a very nice ported box
    AMP: JL 450/4. Large section runs the sub and the smaller section runs the fronts. Rears off HU

The other day I start noticing a smell like something getting hot and I think it's the Tahoe, not any audio stuff...I have been running the set-up for quite a while and I don't pound it...Yesterday on the way home from work, I had the windows down and got on the expressway. I cranked it up a bit to hear it and it was VERY weak sounding. When I got home I checked some things out. The amp is mounted under the rear seat. The low ohm light was on, on the amp and it was very hot. I shut it down and went back 20 minutes later and checked it again. System on at very low volume. That ohm light is on so I disconnect the sub. Still on so I check all the connections. All good. I pulled the RCAs off for the sub input and run it for a short time with just the fronts running off the amp. That light was on and then it got the thermal light on (ohm light then off)...Amp was very hot (seat up and amp out in the open). The amp never shut down but the sound was not the greatest from the fronts. The smell is coming from the amp. I pulled the sub out and pulled the JL amp out. Then I connected a soundstream rubicon 502 amp to the fronts and with everything wired and gains set running full range, it sounds really good, just lacks any real low end.

So my question is this: On the driver side way in the back is a grill where there can be mounted a factory sub. I don't think there is anything in there (speaker). Do they have an enclosure in there to mount a singe 8 or 10? I play drums and my drums always are in the rear section. I would prefer to leave a big sub box out of there and mount something in that factory area. Any recommendations? I have a couple different amps I can employ for a sub. I am not looking for huge "boom boom" just want to fill the low end in with a dedicated sub...

thoughts?

Willy

2. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

I pulled it apart...There is an 8" 2 ohm sub in a small sealed enclosure in there (looks factory). Does anyone know if it is worth hooking up or should I shop for a beefier, better 8" sub?

3. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

hook it up, if you don't like it then swap it out.

4. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Tom Da Tech

I would say that Hooking it up would be a start and see is it has what your looking for. What I have seen in my past is that stock is never ehat your looking for in sound. I myself would hook it up play it and see if its missing what your looking for in the low range. I thinkk your gonna want to get an afermarket 8

Just my opinion hope it helps.

5. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

Update.....

I changed a few things around and here is where it sits....

HU...Kenwood Excelon KDC X395
    Front stage...Polk Mo Mo 6.5" separates
    Front amp...Soundstream Rubicon
    Rear stage...Infinity Reference 5.25 coaxials...running off HU
    Sub...8" JL Audio in factory rear location
    Sub amp...JL 250/1