My Project

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Chevyman, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Chevyman

Chevyman Full Member

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

dude all you need is a box now. both are good choices

3. Chevyman

Chevyman Full Member

Good news!!

On this topic there is one other thing. I've read many other threads on sort of the same topic, but haven't understood them fully. How does someone run two 4 ohm subs as 2 ohm on the amp? :huh:

That's a really unclear question and due to my noobness, I cant clean it up so just do your best to interpret it and if you dont understand it, its cool.

Thanks,
    Chevyman

4. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

well it depends upon the sub. If the subs are single voice coil then it can be done like this:

Attached Files:

5. Chevyman

Chevyman Full Member

Is there a way to do this same thing, somehow, with DVC's like the Kickers I've been looking into or should I redirect my sights on single voice coil subs?

6. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

Just wire it the same way as if you were using a single coil sub, just forget about the second coil on each sub.

7. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

8. Chevyman

Chevyman Full Member

Oh ok. I didn't even notice the 2 ohm one. Thank you

I guess my next problem is a properly designed box. Is it possible to do all of this underneath the back seat of a crew cab silverado?

I found this box, but I think 7" of mounting depth and .9 cubic feet of sealed space per sub is pushing it. Would it be possible to custom make a bigger box if this one wont work?
    ( http://carjamz.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2327 )

Chevyman

9. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

You can go all 3 ways, single 4 ohm, dual 4 ohm, dual 2 ohm and still get a 2 ohm load at the amp. Id go with G3s idea of dual 2 ohm coils cause you can wire them into a 1 ohm load if you ever want to upgrade to a better amp.

10. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

according to the12volt you can achieve .5 Ohm, 2 Ohm, and 8 Ohm with two dual 2 Ohm subs.

11. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

just don't got with dvc 4ohm and wire only one coil, you won't be using the full potential of the sub.

fstrfvo, what ever happened to the L7? did one of the coils fry?

12. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

No the kicker is okee dokee, the wife drove the car and turned the bass control to almost zero. Its always the most obvious things but i didnt think of checking it out until I put my ppi in and it didnt work either.

as for the dual 4 ohm I agree with you about not using the full potential of the woofer but at he can wire it at 2 ohms or just go with the single coil woofer and get the same 2 ohm. But if it were me id go with 2 ohm woofers and get a 1 ohm load and upgrade to a better amp. Can you say ED.... But yes I agree with you 100%.

13. Chevyman

Chevyman Full Member

Ill just get the 2 ohm dvc's and wire both coils. I think thats the most efficient way to do it.

I posted earlier on a box, but I don't think anyone saw it. I found this one
    ( http://carjamz.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2327 ) for under the back seats of my silverado crew cab. It has ~.9 cubic feet of sealed box per sub and 7" of mounting depth. Each Kicker
    ( http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_8362_Kicker+07CVR122.html ) has a top mount depth of 6 3/16" and the smallest sealed volume is 1 cubic foot.

Would this box work or is it possible to custom make a bigger box that fits under the back seats of my truck?

Thanks for all of your help so far,
    Cevyman

14. pedro quiroga

the smallest sealed box for those subs is 1.0, but you could stuff some polly fill(pillow stuffing) into the box to fool the sub to think its in a larger box.

or that .1 diff might not matter at all.

15. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

You can get 1.25 lb bags of polyfill at wal mart for 3 bucks in the craft section

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  16. pedro quiroga

i was going to say the same thing too.

17. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

since you have limited space i'd take the advice of pedro and G3 and just load it with polyfill.

18. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

buy 2 bags to make sure they'll be properly filled. im pretty sure that the ratio 1.25-1.35:1 that you gain in volume. but you may be able to pull off a small ported box. not sure.

19. Chevyman

Chevyman Full Member

Ok cool, I'm sailing through this thanks to y'all. Now that I know I have a good amp to power two good subs and that I have enough space to mount them, my next problem is this: For looks and $$ savings, I'd like to make my own box with the same size specifications as the one that I previously mentioned, but have the subs fire upward instead of down. I know that the seats would muffle the sound, but I'm willing to substitute some sound quality for the opportunity to lift the back seats and rub two Kicker 12's and a beefy Kenwood in my friends faces. Do you guys think that making my own box is a good idea?

Thanks,
    Chevyman