My Poor 3000gt Vr4-help Me Change Speakers-long!!!

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by peter_euro, Dec 26, 2003.

1. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

Well, my car used to look like this on the outside

http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/5d2095/bc/300...CkFl9_A2AMgtVec

and on the inside

http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/5d2095/bc/300...C8Hl9_AKTdYkwmr

http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/5d2095/bc/300...CoIl9_Aa_p8Sjlq

until it got trashed by some heartless jerk back in October :angry: :angry:

http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/5d2095/bc/300...C4fk9_AZC60ZlJb

:angry:

http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/5d2095/bc/300...CcDl9_AC3U.proo

http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/5d2095/bc/300...CZEl9_A8ixvwm8k

Needless to say, it is getting a full bare metal makeover and more ($12k plus) that should be done by the end of January (yeah, over 3 months...)

Since the car should be back practically new (it had only 25k mi to begin with), I thought this would be a good time to improve on my audio system in this car...

What I have is P1R and PD6 Premier HU and in dash CD changer (yes, I am old fashioned and believe cars are for driving (fast and with full attention to the road, LOL) so none of this DVD or MP3 gadgetry for this old timer... :rolleyes:

The amps are Concept CC-D2400A (for the 4 12in subs) and Concept 504 for the rear fill.

http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/5d2095/bc/300...CpPl9_A6nMQZv1W

And PPI PCX480 for front stage (kinda hard to see but it is there...)

http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/5d2095/bc/300...C4Ql9_AKzXavnTM

Under the hood, the only upgrade is the yellow top but with the stock 110A alternator and 0 ga wiring

http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/5d2095/bc/300...CoSl9_A5VFEVGnt

Nothing fancy in the back, just couple of 1 F caps and sound deadener...

http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/5d2095/bc/300...CVVl9_AoxfIgjDw

The main speakers are 2 sets of Hex600a 6.5 mids front and rear and 2 sets of Hex alum tweeters. Everything is actively crossed from P1R and the rear fill comes from the y-splitters on the front channels (pro mode so only one set of channels plus subs). The subs are 4 Alumapro Alchemy 12 hooked up in a 1 Ohm load to the mono block. Really nothing fancy but it is pretty loud and relatively clean sounding... The main complaint I have are the subs... they just sound like crap... plenty of power, plenty of box volume (5.7 cu ft sealed box) but the bass is very very weak with very little low end extension, loud but a very annoying thumper...

http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/5d2095/bc/300...CVbl9_A7uE4HEqn

So anyway, since I have this box sitting in my living room for quite a few months, it seems like this would be a perfect time to do something about it... I thought about going all Illusion Audio (ND-6 and unknown yet tweeters front and rear) plus 4 ND-12 subs in this box and then I thought about leaving the Diamonds and replacing just the subs with ED e12a or ID MAX 12V.3 or 4 Magnum D2 and I really cannot decide... The Hex drivers are ok but they lack the midbass and the tweeters are pretty bright but somewhat limited in the upper freqs. I am very limited in speaker choices because I use the stock locations (door mids with max mount. depth of 2.25in and 3in dash tweeter openings plus rear side panels for the rear fill).

Outside of Diamonds and Illusion, I really do not see any other viable quality choices with this mounting depth and really do not know about the right tweets... So what to do? I still have a month to come up with something but the time is really flying... Give me some good advice on this subject... The only thing I want to change are the main drivers and the subs, the box stays because it was such a pain to make it all fit and look decent in the hatch... So no switch to 15in subs... :rolleyes:

2. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

Damn! Thats sad. I almost broke down crying. :( :bash: :2guns:

3. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

thank you very much... how about cheering me up with that audio advice that I need... ;)

4. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Holy crap man! Took me like 15 minutes to DL all those pictures! :blink:

Well, for front speakers, I'd normally suggest the JL XR's...
    I've got them and I love them, sonically, in virtually all ways. ;)
    But for mounting depth... I'm not sure how deep they are. They aren't big, but they aren't shallow for that matter either.
    I got around it in my Civic... believe it or not, I have even LESS mounting depth than you, naturally... I was able to fit a 3/4" spacer between the woofer and the door's mounting surface, they fit with ease.

Another alternative might be to do kicks... and I don't mean the "angle it so it's crossfired" big, imposing bulks, but something more off-axis, which can actually often sound better at any rate. Keep them more out of your actual kick area.
    If you can actually recess them into the cavity behind your kick panels (might require some cutting!), you'll even potentially improve stage width. ;)

Illusion Audio is out of business, so you might have some trouble finding those drivers.
    Besides the JL XR's that I truly love, I'd suggest checking out the DEI Viper 6.5's that are on sale at SoundDomain right now... MSRP is $499, they usually sell them for $399... and apparently they've lost their rights to sell DEI because you won't believe it... $139!! :blink:
    Designed by Dr. Kurt Mueller, famous designer, also designed the XR's btw.. B)

As far as subs goes, there's enough Adire support on this board I'm sure I won't be the only one to suggest going with four Brahma 12's... but damn, that would be an ungodly amount of bass, and possibly a bigger price tag than you want. Don't know.. But for the accuracy that you desire, I think truly that would be your best bet, and I say so by virtue of the benefits that XBL^2 offers you.

Electrodynamic is a member here - he runs Stereo Integrity, so he can make a better case for his Magnums.. I'm admittedly completely and totally unfamiliar with them.

The IDmaxes are also very nice, and I believe have lower price tags than the Brahmas. By virtue of that alone, I'd give them the nod over the Brahmas.
    Heck, IDQ's sound very nice...
    I had a nice A/B session a while back with a dual-12" IDQ box / single 12" IDmax (v.2), and honestly they were virtually indistinguishable. The 12" IDmax was even nearly as loud as the two IDQ 12's, both sealed in ID recommended enclosures. Fun A/B. B)

Depends on how much output you are looking for, IMO.

Is the goal more SQ than SPL?
    Why not do a ported enclosure, since it's all out?
    You might be shocked to hear a couple XBL2 drivers in a ported box, how good the SQ is... and I'd bet my left nut that you'd have more output than those four Alumapros. :p

5. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

well, nice to have output from the man himself... :p

I got a cable internet a little while ago and I have to tell you, I would never go back... but I apologize for the extra time that the pics took, just thought since I have some pics of my raped baby, I'll share them...

Anyway... the mounting depth in this car is limited in 2 ways: the glass clearance and grille integrated in the door panel... Unfortunately the JLs are too deep by about half inch...

My choices are very very limited without doing any interior mods which I prefer since it is very hard to get it done with a quality comparable to the stock interior (I have learnt my lesson with my other car...)

So after careful searching (I did one too when I was putting the original system in the car) I can only come up with 4 brands (Diamond, Illusion, Blaupunkt new series and Kove Audio euro comps) I already have 2 ND6 that are collecting dust and access to another 2 very easily... But these things would require some door sheetmetal mods since they are quite a bit oversized... Another thing with Illusions is the lack of comparable tweets from Illusion, according to a guy from Solen...

If I could find some drop in replacements for the Hex, this is what I would really like, I am pretty worn out from my other cars... Of course the replacements would have to sound better than the Hex... If the Illusions sound good with good output and midbass down to about 70, that would make me happy... I do not want to drop in the NDs without getting advice because once I cut the sheetmetal, it will be hard to go back to smaller drivers... And I still would not know about the tweeters...

With the subs, I gotta keep the extra weight in mind because 4 subs can be pretty heavy even without the box... Unfortunately I had this box made by a local shop where they advised me to go with the sealed and I sunk quite a bit of money into it... Would be very difficult to change the design of this box because it is like a big puzzle with the amps mounted around it and tolerances very very close around the hatch... So if possible ,I rather stay with this box...

BTW, you get to keep your nut because the 2 MASS 2012 in my other car, play beautifully with the same 2400 watts in a sealed box... So I am pretty sure the fault is with the Alchemies... They are just not heavy duty subs that can pound low and loud with the loud exhaust and road noise...

The Brahmas are out for me mainly because they weigh so much... I already figured about $300 per sub plus the main speakers but if I can find something for less or I am told that the Diamonds cannot be surpassed (they are loud but rather flat sounding without good midbass and the tweets are lacking the detail I like in spite of being aluminum...)

Funny you should mention these subs because this was my selection too... ED, ID Max, Magnum and Illusion ND12... But anyway, I am not a basshead and like to enjoy my Pink Floyd but like it loud too as long as it is tonally balanced.....

6. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Have you looked into Morel mids?? They're also pretty shallow.

7. ScottS

ScottS Full Member

also i dont know if they still make them but the dei neo series was pretty good as well. Another to look at are the focal 165a's very nice speakers. Also im not to famliar with that car per say but if the xr's are about 1/2" to deep have you thought about makeing a spacer ring?. If you can do that it would be great. Also if you dont have the tools to do so i would gladly make you one all you need to pay is about 5 bucks for cost and what ever shipping is.

Scott Stoner

8. ScottS

ScottS Full Member

do you have any pictures of your door skins and maybe a pic of the door skin off?

9. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

The DEI Viper comp set I mentioned (the ones that are remarkably on sale at SoundDomain) have neodymium motors on them...
    Possibly this is the same thing as the DEI Neo's that Scott is mentioning?

10. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Well, I was suggesting 2 subs...
    Say, 2 Brahmas, and ported.
    And no reason you couldn't do it with that box... in fact, I'd bet it's better than ideal.. probably generously sized. B)

Your box is currently built for four subs, sealed...
    I'm guessing it's more than enough volume internally for two Brahmas, ported.

You could mount the two Brahmas in 2 of the holes, and make two decorative plates up to not just cover the other two speaker holes, but also house a port per cover.
    With that approach, cosmetics of those two covers is up to you, you could make them look pretty darn cool, really make them look like panels meant to highlight the ports. ;)

Not only would that reduce your cost, it would reduce your weight (well, they are still pretty heavy, each... but 2 subs rather than 4), and increase your sound quality and SPL at the same time.

BTW... I know someone who is looking for two Mass 2012's...
    Any chance those are for sale? :?:

11. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

I actually have a pair of Morel 8s and they sound very nice but they do lack in that midbass and are a little too laid back for me, I do not think that their 6 would be any better... In comparisson, the ND6 that I have also sitting at home, seem to be pretty punchy and extremely dynamic... (must be that 9mm xmax vs. 4.5 of Morels or my imagination...)...

12. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

Scott, I do not have any pics (I see if they still have the door panels off at the body shop and can take some pics) but spacers would not do any good considering that the grille part in the door panel (grilles are integrated) sit almost on the speaker from the inside...

The DEI Neo are identical to IA Lucent series and I actually have a set of LM8 at home, LOL.... they look like pretty nice drivers although the cones are not as tricked out like on NDs.... (I have 2 ND6 sitting around as well....)

13. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

Well, I was suggesting 2 subs...
    Say, 2 Brahmas, and ported.
    And no reason you couldn't do it with that box... in fact, I'd bet it's better than ideal.. probably generously sized. B)

Your box is currently built for four subs, sealed...
    I'm guessing it's more than enough volume internally for two Brahmas, ported.

You could mount the two Brahmas in 2 of the holes, and make two decorative plates up to not just cover the other two speaker holes, but also house a port per cover.
    With that approach, cosmetics of those two covers is up to you, you could make them look pretty darn cool, really make them look like panels meant to highlight the ports. ;)

Not only would that reduce your cost, it would reduce your weight (well, they are still pretty heavy, each... but 2 subs rather than 4), and increase your sound quality and SPL at the same time.

BTW... I know someone who is looking for two Mass 2012's...
    Any chance those are for sale? :?: [/b][/quote]
    I am afraid I would not let my babies go... they are well fed with 1200 watts a piece

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/...329_26_full.jpg

and very well protected with that loading board that sits over them, LOL...

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/...329_31_full.jpg

And their sound hits the right spot with me, very well balanced and very transparent even in a trunk of a convertible...

The problem with Brahmas is that 2 of them would not add up to 1 Ohm load... and the weight of 2 is close to 3 of any other sub...If I was to go with 2, I would most likely go with 15s since my box is 5.7 cu ft actually... :) so there is enough for 2 15s... But I talked to a guy I know for long time at a local install shop and he advised me not to go with 15s or ported box because of the type of music I like (no rap whatsoever) and the sound quality that (according to him) cannot get from a ported enclosure... And actually he has no clue why 4 12s sound weaker than 2 MASS subs... Big mistery... I am not sure if he is BSing me or not but I rarely buy anything from them so I guess he has no reason...

Anyway, I (maybe too naive) thought that I could just swap the drivers for other ones and make everything better... :unsure:

14. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I am afraid I would not let my babies go... they are well fed with 1200 watts a piece

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/...329_26_full.jpg

and very well protected with that loading board that sits over them, LOL...

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/...329_31_full.jpg

And their sound hits the right spot with me, very well balanced and very transparent even in a trunk of a convertible...

The problem with Brahmas is that 2 of them would not add up to 1 Ohm load... and the weight of 2 is close to 3 of any other sub...If I was to go with 2, I would most likely go with 15s since my box is 5.7 cu ft actually... :) so there is enough for 2 15s... But I talked to a guy I know for long time at a local install shop and he advised me not to go with 15s or ported box because of the type of music I like (no rap whatsoever) and the sound quality that (according to him) cannot get from a ported enclosure... And actually he has no clue why 4 12s sound weaker than 2 MASS subs... Big mistery... I am not sure if he is BSing me or not but I rarely buy anything from them so I guess he has no reason...

Anyway, I (maybe too naive) thought that I could just swap the drivers for other ones and make everything better... :unsure: [/b][/quote]
    That's not necessarily nieve... if you get replacement subs that have the proper advantages over what you have now. ;)

You'll almost purely want some subs that have higher excursion capabilities, if you are sticking with the sealed box...
    And you'll also want subs that maintain their motor strength across that range of excursion.
    That's really how you'll get them to be both louder (more displacement) and maintain the sound quality, if not improving it.
    ...assuming all the other specs yield a decent response plot shape in that size enclosure. B)

Consider your installer to be somewhat "old school", making traditional - albiet traditionally accurate - comments regarding sealed vs. ported. ;)

Previously I'd have argued that whether you want to use Qts or EBP as a determinant, that some subs are simply "best" in a sealed box, while others are "best" in a ported application... and for those subs that don't straddle the line, putting them in the other type of box will compromise SQ and/or output regardless.
    And traditionally, middle-of-the-road subs will tend to suffer a bit when put in a ported box, mostly by virtue of having to contend with the extra forces inside the enclosure created by the rapidly changing port airflow momentum.

XBL2 really changes that, by virtue of it's maintenance of BL curve flatness.
    It's middle-of-the-road EBP and Qts values are accurate in that they do sound nice sealed, but they definitely mask their superiority in ported applications.

The XBL2 motor literally brute-forces the cone into being exactly where it's supposed to be, regardless of excursion level. It really shines in ported applications, by virtue of how well it does "keep it's manners".
    In that sense, I don't think the EBP or Qts really reflect how well it will perform in ported boxes.

Your installer has no doubt dealt primarily with traditional motor and suspension technology, and in that respect, what he says is very correct.
    His mistake (IMO) is not quite understanding the cause for why typically sealed box applications have traditionally sounded cleaner than ported box applications, and taking the leap to making a generalization about them.

Along those lines... I'm just wondering...
    What's the Qts and/or EBP for those Alumapro's?
    I'm wondering if maybe part of your SQ issue is even that some salesman had himself brainwashed that "sealed = SQ" regardless of subwoofer. :eek:

15. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

Great reply Geo :blow:
    As I said before, if I can just swap the drivers and make the system sound better, I would much prefer this over starting from scratch...

Here are the specs for Alchemy 12 SVC 4Ohm:

RMS/Peak Fs Qms Qes Qts Re Vas Xmax
    12" SVC 4 Ohm 300/600 22 Hz 3.58 0.44 0.39 4.0 Ohm 3.8 Ft3 12 mm

To keep the record straight, I bought the Alchemies strictly based on the reviews in the car audio magazines and opinions of several car audio board members... These things are not available locally now or ever before... The sealed box design is the only one that Alumapro itself recommends (outside of BP) and they are very specific about NOT using ported box. The only thing that I can see wrong is the fact that their max volume is suppose to be 1.0 cu ft and mine is bigger..

The installer I know had no vested interest in the subs because they did not sell me any, LOL.... And I only asked him after these things did not work, so it is all my own fault... I actually cannot blame the local shops since the name recognition sells and those more exotic and mainly internet sold subs have practically none outside of the hardcore car audio philes (and these people like to keep their knowledge to themselves). It actually makes me wonder how valid those equipment reviews are since there are so many variables that come in play when using any of the equipment...

It is very difficult to buy anything locally besides JL, Phoenix Gold, RF or Kicker or junk like Sony or Kenwood... plus all the junk at flea market... I did very well with the Audiomobile subs, I completely missed with the Alchemies... They look like very nice subs but in the box they are in and in the car, they are probably the biggest dissappointment I have experience in my 20+ years in car audio...

Anyway, enough whining... I kinda figured that it should be possible to get better sound out of my car by picking the right drivers (both the subs and main speakers) and that more linear excursion and stronger motor structure would be the key factor... The problem is I have no clue what would be the right sub(s) for me... If you recommend the right drivers, I will buy them because this is the best I can do (the only local remedy is 12W7 which would require a complete makeover of the hatch plus heavy plus very pricey...).

I was looking very closely at e12a, ID Max 12 V.3, Brahma 12, Stereo Integrity Magnum D2 and Illusion Audio ND12 (the last one to make my system one brand system) but I am totally unsure which one would be the best for me. Please advise me and I will follow (I am so burnt out messing with my systems). Then there is still the matter of main speakers, just to make sure they will compliment the subs and vice versa to make the sound more fluid and consistent...

If the Hex drivers are the best I can do, then I will leave them alone and just swap the subs, if something like Illusion ND6 would give me better midbass and the better tweeters will improve the upper end (I think the Hex aluminums do like to play straight up against the windshield?) then I will gladly swap them... Just need some specific guidance...

16. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

that's because the Fs is SO low...
    The Qts is pretty middle-of-the-road, but that Fs will drive the EBP way down.
    Makes sense to seal them (or 4th order BP, not 6th order).

If the box is too big, you could experiment with it...
    Literally cut up two 2x4's into 2' sections, remove a sub, and stick them into the box. That'll eat up about a cu.ft., and you could see if things tighten up any.
    I'm still a fan of the two Brahma 12's, using your existing enclosure, building 12" round covers with a 4" port each built into them to cover up the other two sub's holes, converting your enclosure into a ported one for the Brahmas. :D

I'd recommend it over a W7 even...
    The W7 would get expensive as you know, you'd have not only one expensive sub, but all the reworking of your box and install. :(

I've heard some e12a's, they sounded nice... I liked the IDmax also (but I've only heard the v.2's), the ND12's I've heard are definitely sealed box subs... good SQ subs, but not very much in the way of SPL capabilities. I've never used or seen an SI Magnum, but... Electromagnetic (here on CAT) is the owner of SI! B)
    The Hex's are supposed to be nice.. I can't comment as I've never heard them either. :(
    IMO, it would be one of those things..."if you are happy with them.."
    or maybe "If it ain't broke.." :lol:

Honestly, if midbass is the issue, I'd look more to the install itself than the drivers...
    For example, how well is the surface they are mounted to working like a true baffle? Or is it somewhat leaky, less than ideal?
    You've generally got more to gain in tightening up the "baffle" aspect of it, than you'd see with different drivers in there. If it's not a good baffle, the cancellations would still be there. ;)

17. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

Hmmm, something is very fishy about the Alchemies... I just realized the Fs was really low, they should play low and they do not... hmmm... totally confused on this one...

LOL, you are still for Brahmas... the only way I could use them would be to have 4 since otherwise the Ohm load does not add up... :( Otherwise, my amp is rated to only 1150watts at 2 vs 2400 at 1 Ohm...

The other subs, I just really do not know... the NDs are the lightest but since you said they are all SQ, I assume they crap out at higher volumes... e12a or ID MAX it seems... The Magnum seems to have Fs in mid 30s which is kinda high for my tastes (but I guess it may not mean much since the Alchemies should sound really deep and they do not...) So which one for this box the way it is?

I do not think the install is the problem with the midbasses, they are in the factory plastic baffles which are very tightly sealed plus the doors are very well lined with double dynamat xtreme... It is these speakers that sound very flat, the sound lacks any dynamics, just really loud... BTW, if I took my chances with the illusion ND6, what would be a good match for tweeters? I do have these 3in openings in the dash... :unsure:

18. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Seeing what they did to your car has me sick. Did you ever catch that son of a bitch :ranting: ?

I find the Hexs rather bright myself, lacking any real midbass as well. Depth is very obviously an issue and it is a shame the XRs will not fit. I was going to suggest them as well. What about the XR coax? I believe they are a bit more shallow, and still tremendous sounding speakers. However, I am not sure how well they will do so far off axis on the tweet. Ask Cort (flawlesskid) about his MBQ mids. He has mentioned dumping them in favor of some Vifas I believe for his 3 way set. The MBQ mids are really powerful, lively, and accurate. Personally, I think he should keep them, but he seems intent on getting something else. Maybe you could get yourself a good deal on them ;)

The Brahmas will work very well with 600 apiece. If you choose to seal them, 1.2-1.5 feet will do well with that power, will get down low and dirty, and pound your skull from your shoulders. Porting them low is also an option as Chris said, but in a hatch type situation I don't know that all that bass is nessicary.

On that note, I will bow out. My intention was to offer my initial angry feeling about your car, and to offer my input on power nessicary to make the Brahmas hump. Outside of that, I have vested interest in Adire (therefore ALL my opinions are biased) so I will make no more mention of my opinion B) .

19. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Using QTS as an indicator for enclosure design (which I prefer to do) I would never seal this driver. As low as it is, it screams no bottom end sealed to me. If the QTS were closer to .45 I would, but alas, .39 is ported all the way.

20. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Not to try to think of any possible way you could run the Brahma's or anything, but... :p

I was just thinking that I bet you'd have a lot of fun with running two Brahmas in Resistively Damped Operation.
    Which would give you the impedance that you want. ;)
    It wouldn't cut powerhandling in half either, since powerhandling is more a function of heat dissipation... the glue lets loose, it's not as if the wire melts, when a subwoofer thermally goes.
    There's even some comment to that end on that on that tech paper: "Because the second voice coil is undriven, it acts somewhat as an "insulator" on the driven voice coil. As such, power handling is slightly reduced. It is best to "derate" the power handling of the driver by approximately 25%."

This might be appealing to you, because if you use a potentiometer as the resistor across the "empty" coil, you can vary the Q of the subwoofer/enclosure combo, changing the sound of the woofer on the fly... in fact, I bet you wish you could do this with those Alchemies now (although it sounds like you probably need to get a lower Q, if anything, with them... but still)! :p

OK, I'll stop beating the Brahma drum now.

Wow, 2400x1 is a big amp...

I've unfortunately got no personal experience with the Illusions, but I am repeating words voiced by very satisfied Illusion owners (or those who've enjoyed them), who have stated their virtues remain in the realm of high sound quality. ;)

Ben has actually commented that his O's are more of a SQ sub, you might consider those actually, over the A's even.
    I've only heard the A's myself - once with a prototype driver that sounded nice, but we certainly didn't stress it at all... and quite recently, two 12's sealed on a huge amount of power that didn't get as loud as I'd have imagined (we metered a 134dB), so I'd think something wasn't quite there... he did mention his gains were pretty conservatively set. At any rate, I'm basically saying I'm not much help here either. :p

The IDmax I've heard the v.2 driver, and it really was impressive, I heard it sealed on 1200 watts, and it got up and went, and maintained it's composure. It does have a very nice suspension, the ID guys use tolerances that NASA would be proud of (which brings efficiency up there), the only downside would be a relatively traditional motor, that has a decently broad (22.1mm) but parabolic BL curve on DUMAX.
    But then again, virtually every other driver does outside the XBL2 world... so it's not a disadvantage per se. ;)

<!--QuoteBegin-peter_euro
    @Dec 29 2003, 06:46 AM
    I do not think the install is the problem with the midbasses, they are in the factory plastic baffles which are very tightly sealed plus the doors are very well lined with double dynamat xtreme... It is these speakers that sound very flat, the sound lacks any dynamics, just really loud... BTW, if I took my chances with the illusion ND6, what would be a good match for tweeters? I do have these 3in openings in the dash... :unsure: [/quote]

Is the actual entire door skin itself prepped to work like a baffle?
    Those holes in the inner door skin (to access the door cavity) will allow the rear sound energy to exit, that's one potential problem... and the cancellation becomes worse and worse progressively, as the frequencies drop.
    If those are sealed up well, that's probably not the issue, though.

I'd first try just swapping the mids, straight up. Swap the hex's mid for the ND6 mid, and see how it sounds. If you like that tweeter, use it.
    I don't know anything about the frequency response of the tweeter or the ND6, that would be one potential difficulty.
    If the ND6 reaches up cleanly beyond the crossover point you have now, then all is well. If it doesn't, then you'll either need to substitute a different mid, or replace the tweeter/crossover as well.
    And I shouldnt' say "all is well", but "all is as well as it's going to be, since you are mixing-and-matching your own comp set together anyway".. because efficiency differences are one issue that could cause mild headaches.

Factory-built comp sets are generally nicely matched, the efficiency of the tweeter to the efficiency of the mid.
    But you may find that with a custom-built set, your tweeter overpowers the mid, sounding bright and harsh, or the opposite, where the system sounds like it's lacking detail, even if both drivers are wonderful..
    In this case, it's not the end of the world, you can build L-pads cheaply that balance efficiencies, but it's often an affair that involves trying a few out. ;)