my first box HELP

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by CADILLACPIMPIN4, Jan 1, 2012.

1. CADILLACPIMPIN4

CADILLACPIMPIN4 Full Member

i need more bass in my car so i decided to add subwoofers found a reasonable deal on craigslist of a guy selling 3 10 inch rockford fosgate woofers and 2 kicker amps. not the best in the world but im not going for world class SPL trunk rattling just something that does justice. i looked online and nearly everywhere for a pre-fabbed box but none met the requirements or budget so im building my own currently waiting for the rain to stop (i love baltimore weather)

THE RECOMMENDED SPECS for one woofer is

HEIGHT 12.5
    WIDTH 19.5
    DEPTH 7.75

TOTAL MEASURED ROOM IN TRUNK FOR BOX

HEIGHT 19.5
    WIDTH 39
    DEPTH 39

using 3 woofers based off the recommended specs
    can somebody tell me exactly how high wide and deep my box should be thanks guys

Attached Files:

2. kcox669live

kcox669live Full Member

What's up Bmore? Ranger will be round soon.

3. CADILLACPIMPIN4

cool just lookin around the forum and following some of his builds he knows his stuff CANT WAIT i forgot to add this but its 3/4 inch wood im using from lowes got it at a reasonable price 15$ floor price was like 35 dollars

4. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

With that much room, can we do a ported box?

The outside dimensions for a ported box would be 36-inches wide by 14-inches tall by 15-inches deep.
    You will need two 4-inch diameter ports and they will need to be 10 to 10-1/2-inches long.

(2) 36-inches by 14-1/4-inches (1-top and 1-bottom)
    (1) 36-inches by 12-1/2-inches ( the back of the box)
    (2) 13-1/2-inches by 12-1/2-inches (the two sides)

Put the box together before the baffle board is cut. You might also want to add a couple (three) of braces. I would put them behind the woofers.

(1) 36-inches by 14-inches ( the baffle board)
    (2) 4-inch diameter PVC Pipe 10-1/2-inches long.

The Baffle will looks something like this, also attach ports before attaching the baffle to the box.
    Rockford Box.jpg
    The scale is very close to accurate.

Anyway here is a basic set of directions that may be helpful. Post #4 has a picture of a baffle with one port (you will have two ports)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  5. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

opps, its past my bed time. I have to go back to teaching Algebra tomorrow

6. CADILLACPIMPIN4

Box almost done thank god for home depot tried to do the cutting with my roommates ghetto saw didnt work ill post a couple of pictures up

7. CADILLACPIMPIN4

do i divide each subwoofer or are they all in one area with the ports thanks ranger

8. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

They will share the same air space, no divider is necessary.

9. CADILLACPIMPIN4

how much power should i throw to this combination now that the box is almost built i have a 300 watt kicker amp but a friend of mine says ill be needing more like 900 wats for it

one subwoofer is 150 rms and 300 max
    i was thinking 450-500 would be the match for it
    also the subwoofers are 4 ohm could i drop them down to 2 ohm or even 1 ohm would it be safe or recommended???
    the sub woofers are also single coil how should i wire the box up?

10. CADILLACPIMPIN4

been busy with my winter semester classes at college....had to give my final speech for speech 101 at 10 am at ccbc than haul tail to bccc (baltimore city community college) forglue spring classes so this week i been pretty busy but today i braced the box cut all the holes out and cut the 4 inch diameter by 5inch pcv pipe shes coming together slowly but surely only thing i have left to do is glue than screw the braces perminitely round out the holes for the ports finish drilling the top box once thats done cut 3 more holes for the wire connectors on the back of the box and make sure everything is sealed nice and tight probably paint the box havent decided yet hope you guys enjoy my progress.... this is my first ever box build if you cant tell *shrugs shoulders*