my build on my 04' monte carlo LS

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by eviling, Jan 12, 2011.

1. eviling

eviling Full Member

I was here awhile back asking about parts for upgrading my system, well i'm a long way past that :) i'm actualy in the middle of picking some new upgrades but for now this is what i've got done. I know this isn't a build log forum i coudln't find a subject, but i thought i would share my experiences with everyone since this is where i first started coming to pick out parts, and this is where i am today with the progress. of course when i came here i had a different car, and i've done many things since :)

parts -
    alpine PDX 1.1000
    ALpine PDX 4.150
    JBL c608GTI MKii 6 1\2" commponent system
    eclipse cd7200 mkii
    JBL w12GTI mkii 12" sub

front veiw of the car
    [​IMG]
    side view of the car
    [​IMG]
    the dash with the wire harness and chime box.
    [​IMG]
    my lawn where i threw my entire car interior, looks like a read necks lawn :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    this is what i'm working with the engine compartment, very clean engine. my car onloy has 44,000 miles.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my cars interior sitting in my front lawn...thank god it didnt rain :|
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    wires under rear seat pulled through center console
    [​IMG]
    fuse block in engine bay (been removed since for a fused battery terminal)
    [​IMG]

amps veiw from trunk
    [​IMG]

these are the stock speaker baffels, i used them because i was kind of just installing these "Temp" but than winter came and i never got around to deadening my door pannels and building these new ones, but when i'll be changing them soon
    [​IMG]

before cutting door pannel.
    [​IMG]

after
    [​IMG]

i'm building an amp rack soon but this is what they look like for now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the sub :) best part of this build :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

sub in trunk :)
    [​IMG]

new dash kit for deck
    [​IMG]

my dash
    [​IMG]

broke my 4 way button :(
    [​IMG]

did the trick ;)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

test of deck
    [​IMG]

checking lights
    [​IMG]

lights out
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

new battery ;)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

New HID's (yes those are highs, and yes it was a mistake to go HID' highs :( )
    [​IMG]

HID Low's
    [​IMG]

oh and lets not forget the testing :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhVNUcL-CMc
    of course this is a SQ build, but this baby can get LOUUUUUUD, AND THIS deminstrates just that, this is a 40hz sweep to 60 hz at 700 watts rms on my w12GTI mkII 12" JBL sub in a 2.23 ported box to 33 hrz.

some upgrades i plan on doing, i'm replacing the deck with a pioneer Avic z120bt, new amp rack, new sub enclosure, going to still be ported, something like 32-33 hrz, fiberglassed out of the side of my trunk to use space more effervescently :) also, let's not forget to mention a JBL ms-8, with new rca's, some upgrading to the wiring and cleaning things up (with the amp rack) and i'm going to be testing out some speakers

i've been really curiouse about these speakers, i can't find much on them, but i'm really interested in them, because they look very efficiant, and the silk dome is tempting since i have titanium dome tweets right now and they can be a bit harsh at times. very sharp but sometimes a little to sharp ;) the speakers im looking to try are a set of RE Audio XXX6.5C
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_27343_RE-Audio-XXX6.5C.html
    [​IMG]

the deck
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_26808_Pioneer-AVIC-Z120BT.html
    [​IMG]

MS-8
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_27642_JBL-MS-8.html
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

ZMOG a teammate of mine has 14 pairs of those in his honda passport and they sound wicked nice, to put it mildly. very smooth sounding set up. it's too many speakers for me tho,lol.

i was considering 2 pairs for my front stage at one time, but at 250 each. that idea fizzled out quick. but very nice sounding speakers none the less.

i'll dig up a photo to show you his install.

3. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

this is his sub stage and far rear fill. he has more in his front and rear doors.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

id get them!

4. eviling

eviling Full Member

thats simply amazing that he has that setup, their incredibly power hungry from what i'm learning about em. to be honest i'm thinking about some other sets right now.

you kinda stole my threads thunder by one uping my build log though lol :(

5. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

Got speaker wire? Haha thats a big spool.

6. morespl

morespl Full Member

I have those re xxx components

There pretty good I got mine used I got 4 and two were blown I tryed to get them repaired and re said they don't repair em so I wouldn't buy em again but the two I have are good but I like my 8" idqs better lol.

7. eviling

eviling Full Member

you can never have to much speaker wire :Di picked that spool off a sale on sonic ahile back for like 30$ coudln't resist, it's like an 80$ spool. ^_^ its 14 gauge too, i like to run heavy gauge, just for GP. in fact if you look carfully in the one picture you can see i used it as alt power wires to splice into my harness for the dash kits lights, they were wired into the remote relay but i switched it over to the cars lighting circuit so it turns on with my cars headlamps.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  8. eviling

eviling Full Member

threw some shiny new grills on my sub enclousure :D this grils gonna look reall sharp with a glassed box.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. eviling

eviling Full Member

just ordered my ms-8 :D scored a deal, got it for 450$ :D

10. eviling

eviling Full Member

ms-8 installed
    [​IMG]
    updates to come

pioneer avic Z120BT
    [​IMG]

11. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Definately, keep it coming

12. eviling

eviling Full Member

alright guys, its been a longggggg day of some back breaking work, ive pretty much rewired my entire setup. as you'll find out from the pictures to come, i have lots of extra length in all my cables, this is because i plan to build a false floor in the future, so i'll need the extra lengths. anyways, time for the show. hope you enjoy the pictures as much as i enjoy listening to it.

the new gear came in this morning, got a new amp, 2nd alpine PDX 4.150, and some distro blocks to rewire everything.
    [​IMG]

this is how things were when i started. ive probobly posted this somewhere in here, but just to recap, this is what we started with.
    [​IMG]

and...yes, this is the mess i was working with I pretty much rewired the whole thing, i added new distro blocks, whcih i'm sitll in the middle of in this picture. i think the hot distro block is mounted in this picture.
    [​IMG]

heres all the distro blocks wired up, with some wires "neatend" up to try and keep things organized. i repeat TRY.
    [​IMG]

the gear to go in
    [​IMG]

amps rewired back up.
    [​IMG]
    MS-8 reinstalled (on the other panel as you can see, made running power lines easier for me.)
    [​IMG]

a view of the wires with everything terminated.
    [​IMG]

tuning the gains
    [​IMG]

the finished look with everything tucked away.
    [​IMG]

programming, i took it active, so i coudln't really remember what was what, so i wrote it down :laugh:
    [​IMG]
    just a veiw of the trunk
    [​IMG]
    heres the work i did yesterday, where the "accident" happend as you cna see, i havnt tech flexed the main run to the firewall, i didnt have any zipties, so i ordered some along with the RIGHT size shrink wrap, i thought 1\2" ment it want to half inch
    [​IMG]
    just another picture of the engine bay
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  13. eviling

eviling Full Member

FINILY finished all the work under my hood, i should of just done all this work when i did the install but im a gluten for punishment, finished my big 3, done all with 1\0 now. i checked the resistance of the grounding through the engine brackets, and their painted so thick their is almost no current going through them like i had though :( but fear now, problem fixed. also finily got some zip ties in one of my orders, along with the ground bat block so i mounted that, wraped the main power line in tech flex, and than on top of that some of that plastic stuff around it along the bottom as extra protection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and everything done and tightened back up
    [​IMG]

i dont really like the grounding to the chasy but i didnt find anywhere else to put it at the time i might move that one, its the one mounted to the engine mount by the bumper.

14. connerray2010

connerray2010 Full Member

you a carpenter? work out your car? lol couldnt help but notice the nail belts

15. eviling

eviling Full Member

you are correct sir.

16. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

He is rich too! Has a full tank of gas in his car! LOL! Nice job! I like the way those amps stack...

17. eviling

eviling Full Member

sadly a rarity these days :'( 50$ last time i filled this thing

the next phase is speakers, getting them professionaly glassed in because i'm just not very confortible with it in the cabin, i am how ever glassing a sub box. but whats going, or rather what i already have -

Hybrid L6 woofers 7"
    Hybrid L4's mids
    SB SB29RDCN https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=45_229_427&products_id=8664
    Hyrbid L4 center

cutting the tweets off at 10k-12k hrz. the mids will run most of the range. but even if i didn't, those tweets are FANSTASTIC tweets. they run all the way down to 1k hz very stable

[​IMG]

I have most of the drivers already, and ive already ran the speaker wires.
    [​IMG]

tightied the wires a bit.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  18. connerray2010

yea, the only time i get a full tank of gas is around income taxes lol, but its looking good. i will have to throw up a build log when i go to puting every thing in. looks good keep it coming.

19. eviling

eviling Full Member

looky what i found when i got home this morning :)

[​IMG]

containing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

these things are allot smaller than i remembered but man do they sound amazing. smaller is better anyways. but i had forgotten how small they were. these might be a new version perhaps i heard they were having issues with the dimple in the heat, i know it was fixed i dont know if it was before or after i got my old set. god knows why i even sold them babys ;( they are so nice.

20. connerray2010

wtf is it? a horn or reg tweeter?