Mercury Capri Project Car

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by bigaudiofanatic, Aug 28, 2010.

1. bigaudiofanatic

bigaudiofanatic Full Member

Well first off this is going to be a bit slow. I found this car fram a friend of mine. I came over his house and just noticed it sitting there. After talking to him about it I bought it for 500. It is a 1994 Mercury Capri non turbo automatic.

My plans:
    Clean it up to running condition
    Wheels and Tires
    Audio System "Still Taking Ideas"

Next year:
    Engine swap and trans swap
    Auto to manual swap
    Repaint
    Custom seats

Objective: To have a fun little car for corners and weekend drives, also just something to toy with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bigaudiofanatic

Lets get started
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. bigaudiofanatic

Clean the engine bay
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I wanted to check out the paint so I really cleaned a small area than waxed it. Came up well. After I wash clay and wax the car I think it will all come up well.
    [​IMG]

4. bigaudiofanatic

Starting up the car after 5 years of sitting. I think the stale fuel and the ecu being stupid has a big factor in that it kept stalling.
    First try
    [​IMG]

Second
    [​IMG]

Small trunk
    [​IMG]

After a quick wash "started to rain" So I really did not get a chance to clean as well as I wanted.
    [​IMG]

5. bigaudiofanatic

Cleaned the seats
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyone for a double din?
    [​IMG]

Top down
    [​IMG]

6. bigaudiofanatic

Well I got it!
    The big thing was a big split in the intake hose after patching that and holding my foot down for it to warm up it found its idel speed and was fine!

Now correct me if I am wrong but rough cold warm ups and than running smooth after warm up means the pvc valve?
    [​IMG]

After wash
    [​IMG]

Scrubbed the top down before and after
    [​IMG]

Clayed and waxed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. bigaudiofanatic

More pictures

[​IMG]
    The dash just needs to be scrubbed a bit more and the spots will come out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not much space for speakers
    [​IMG]

Rear seats not bad for leg room
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hide away top
    [​IMG]

Rear speakers
    [​IMG]

The trunk
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. bigaudiofanatic

Rear shot
    [​IMG]

Also a side note, the rear view mirror was just laying in the floor when I started. Used a repair kit and is now back on.

Well finally got the oil changed, and that radiator fluid is actually after being drained and putting in flush. After draining that I ran water through and than put fresh radiator fluid in. I also recharged the A/C today, I think I got it charged pretty well for the first time doing it.
    [​IMG]

Also cleaned up the engine bay a bit.
    [​IMG]

9. bigaudiofanatic

Ya sorry but I will not let you down. This is going to turn into a nice fun car.

Today installed the head unit tomorrow going to start a sub box and saturday will install new speakers.

[​IMG]

Everything soldered and heat shrink
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Installed
    [​IMG]

Videos up soon

I have to install the subs in the trunk there probably will not be enough depth behind the rear seats.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. bigaudiofanatic

[​IMG]

Old and new
    [​IMG]

Had to trim the mounting holes a bit.
    [​IMG]

Solder
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Installed
    [​IMG]

11. bigaudiofanatic

I did however go back out and paint the windshield wiper holders.
    I do not want to start tearing apart the engine or anything until I have the repair book and the parts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow if I feel like it I will run the power wire and rca's.
    [​IMG]

12. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

That is really going to be a super neat car. I dont ever remember seeing a Mercury like that one. Lets see what you figure out for the rest of the sound system.

Super cool

13. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

was all this today? if so, nice. you don't waste any time.

i like my polks. perfect choice for a drop top i think. especially for the rear channels.

what are your plans for the subs? sealed firing into the inside? or ported doing the same?

14. bigaudiofanatic

No this was over the corse of the past two or three weeks.

My plan actually is to remove the entire back seat and do a center amp rack and two 10's sealed on either side. I tried sitting in the back today and there is no way someone is going to sit back there so just get rid of the seats.

15. Klinkster

Klinkster Full Member

Wow man.....What a find for $500. Its gonna be a nice Cinderella story I think! It's cleaned up extremely well so far by your pics!

Speaking of pics......You do an awesome job with all your work progression pictures I've seen so far. I love watching transformations. Keep up the good work!!

Btw, I do remember those Mercurys. Early 90s sometime. I think they came out to compete with the new Mazda Miata.

16. wild-bill

wild-bill Full Member

Nice car. Looks like a fun project. I use the Engine Brite stuff. It works great under the hood. That car shares many parts as my grandmother's 1990 Taurus SHO-factory stereo, steering wheel, and more.

17. Klinkster

Klinkster Full Member

Man I feel old now. Granny's car is a 90 Taurus SHO??!!!

What ever happened their 1975 Ford Grenada??!!

18. wild-bill

wild-bill Full Member

She bought it 'cause my uncle sold it to her for about half of blue book value back in 1993. She used to have a 1980 Thunderbird. I liked the T-Bird much better.