Low Profile 12" Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Car Subwoofers' started by joe manor, Nov 11, 2006.

1. joe manor

joe manor Full Member

Im looking for a low profile sub that I can squeeze behind the seats in my Silverado. Anyone know of a good sub that can handle around 300 watts each. Cost is not a factor. More concerned about what is available. Im not sure exactly how much room I have yet but throw them at me If you know something.

2. DMP

DMP Full Member

Blaupunkt makes thin subs.
    [​IMG]

Or you could look into "free air" subs than you can do-away with a box.

3. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Free air subs WILL NOT work in a truck behind the seats!!!!!!!

Well, the only way they will work is if they are in a box, which BTW, work in VERY SMALL enclosures....(a whole nother topic)

The blowpunks you show are interesting, never seen them before, they remind me of the old orion 6 inch midbass that was of similiar design years ago, wonder how they perform??? wonder what kind of box they like.......

Do you have a link to the site the subs are in????

Thanks

4. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

Pioneer Premier has some new low profile subs .. here is their 12"
    TS-SW1241D

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/image/popup/0,,2076_310069929_297969819,00.html

its 350watts RMS .. 3.25" mounting depth and wants 0.5 - 1.0 cubic feet of enclosure space.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069929_297969819,00.html

they actually built a custom enclose for this sub to fit behind the seat of a truck here....

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069931_297709443,00.html

Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  5. DMP

DMP Full Member

I meant to say do away with a "big" box. :lol: Heres the link. http://www.blaupunkt.com/us/7606200239_main.asp

6. joe manor

joe manor Full Member

My next question, has anyone ever heard these subs? The power acoustic subs look like the best built choice but that doesn't mean very much. I dont think I have ever heard a pioneer sub come even close to sounding good.

7. KLUVKUSTOMS

KLUVKUSTOMS Full Member

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  8. TheViking

whee did i set my beer down?????

nevermind, i found it.....

9. ibanezFreak87

ibanezFreak87 Full Member

The pioneers sound good. They wont' pound or rattle your car. but if you have two of them. You'll feel the vibs. I've only heard them on a wall at a shop though

10. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Don't expect too much from those Pioneers...they'll fill out the low end but wont pound your brains out

11. Hautewheeler

Hautewheeler Full Member

In a truck, you are better off to go with smaller, high excursion subs, and give them an enclosure that has enough room for them.

If you want to choose this option, start by measuring exactly how much room you have available, and then weigh your options. You might go with two 8's or tens, or just one 12" if room permits. Any avenue you choose, remember that the enclosure is most important, and must be built to manufacturer's specs, and tuned properly (if you decide to go ported), and remember to allow for thickness of the building material, and clearance for high excursion subwoofers. Be sure to find good quality equipment when searching for subs that will perform well in your space constraints, and give them plenty of power.. You can't go wrong in a truck, if you follow these guidelines.

12. ibanezFreak87

****, just use this little trick with making small boxes bigger..

"go go gadget bigger box!"

no but really, put some cotton balls... a lot of them, in the box. it'll trick the subs into thinking they're in more air space.

13. TheViking

4 High quality 8 inchers.....they will have the proper volume to perform as they should. I have done many truck this way, peole would come into the shop and want 12 inch subs behind the truck seat, and not want to loose a bunch of legroom???? I told several of these customers to go with above mention nethod, a few of them i told i would refund there money if they were not happy.......Never had to give any money back!

A small sub in the right box will do better than larger woofer in a wrong box, all day everyday.

OH, and stuffing a box with cooton balls, or dacron, or fibreglass, will only gain about 10% in volume, not alot, especially in a very small box...

14. ibanezFreak87

True Viking, but it still works.

15. TheViking

to a point yes it does!

16. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Um...normally it takes about 30 percent change in the sealed box volume to make a really noticeable difference

Well thats what I read on the12volt

17. TheViking

And alot of it depends on the enviorment the the sub system is plauying in........

18. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Eh...it was worth a shot lol

19. TheViking

box building and the enviorment is an exacting science in alot of ways.....

One must look at the sub, the enviorment, the musical taste, the desired results, the loudness factor, the amplifier power, heck, even the physcoacoustic effect..........

It sucks really........