loudness button

Discussion in 'Car Audio Head Units' started by crazywhiteboy91, Aug 17, 2009.

1. crazywhiteboy91

crazywhiteboy91 Full Member

ok guys i got a pioneer super tuner 3. its got a loudness button on it. it has 3 setting of loudness low, med, and hi. i know when you turn the loud on hi it really bumps. even on low and med you can tell the difference. i have heard it is best not to run it on any of the loudness. whats the reason for this? much appreciated. thanks!

2. crazywhiteboy91

haha anyone???

3. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

only thing it does is boost up the EQ.

It does not improve the sound at all...notice that you cannot turn the volume up as high with the loudness on than with it off.

Basically it is like cranking up the gain on an amp so it reaches its max a lot sooner.

It is not needed and can add distortion in the wrong hands...usually it boosts the 45Hz range of bass.

4. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

i find it mainly for low vol listening levels. although i dont use mine.

5. crazywhiteboy91

yea i noticed it does good at low levels, when i crank it though it over powers my door speakers, wich arent anything fancy to begin with, but its all i could afford at the time. eventually id like to run all memphis speakers, subs, amps etc. in my truck.

6. pedro quiroga

save save and save up. thats how i did it.

7. crazywhiteboy91

actually, i take that back, i think im going to go with a full mtx system. always been a big fan of em.

8. pedro quiroga

ahhh the changing of ones mind..lol. i remember when all i wanted was one brand..., but mix and match worked for me.

good luck with your system. keep us posted.

9. crazywhiteboy91

maybe ill get the best of both worlds and go with memphis and mtx??? lol. pedro, can you suggest some good 6x9s that will take the 60 rms from the kenwood amp?

10. pedro quiroga

how much can you spend on them? if it was me i would use the amp to power the front channels and leave the rear speakers on the radio power.

11. crazywhiteboy91

ive got a set of dual 5 1/4 illumintie speakers right now, they dont sound bad, but they cant handle the power of the headunit, so i have the fade set to the back so they dont pop and distort, id guess i could spend around 50-60 bucks on some speakers, i know it aint much but im sure theres something out there. i was thinking of running the duals on that little 4 channel amp i have and get a good good set of 6x9s in some box's for the back

12. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

13. crazywhiteboy91

id like to get a good set that are 2 or 3 way speakers. either 6x9s or whatever factory in a ford ranger.

14. pedro quiroga

15. pedro quiroga

sounds to me like your clipping the signal to them. what is your bass set too? does the head unit have some sort of crossover for them?

if you think they cant handle the head units power. whats going to happen when you run an amp to them? sounds to me like they need a crossover to kill the bass being fed to them.

16. crazywhiteboy91

the amp gives out less power than the headunit. i have a pioneer super tuner 3 and the bass is set to +3 i beleive its too much power and the speaker is reaching maximum excursion. they are cheap wallmart speakers rated at 140 peak. the amp is a really really small 4 channel. its like 80 watts peak power, so i figure if i hook them up to the amp, they might get 20-25 rms wich i beleive would be ideal. i dont think they are clipping though.

17. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

the head unit is probably only giving them 17 to 22 watts rms.

18. pedro quiroga

what he said. im sure the amp will give then a cleaner power than most heads can supply.

dont go by max power ratings either. what radio is it you have? model number? and des the amp have a crossover built into it?

19. crazywhiteboy91

pioneer deh-p4000 super tuner 3 head unit. i know never go by max power ratings, but with the extra bass boost it gives em to much bass. i dont know if the amp has a built in crossover. im perty sure it does its just an older cheap cheap amp.