Kicker 750.1 amp...what kind of subs/box?

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by eazy, Oct 8, 2006.

1. eazy

eazy Full Member

Well, to make a long story short, my head unit, two 6x9s, amp, and subwoofers were stolen out of my car, and the insurance company and circuit city are replacing all but the subwoofers because they weren't "bolted down." They told me they'd probably be giving me a kicker 750.1 amp to replace my audiobahn a8000t amp. I had two 12" 400rms watt audiobahn subs in a bandpass box before, but I think I'm going to try kicker cvr12's this time. I found a pair new for $150 shipped.

I've got a 99 Grand Marquis, I listen mostly to rap, reggae, and rock. Do you think two kicker cvr12's at 2 ohms and a kicker 750.1 amp is a good combination? What kind of box do you think I should use?

2. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Perfect Combination...That 750.1 is an awesome amp...make sure you get dual 2 ohm subs so you can wire the amp at 2 ohms.

I like vented boxes...but depends on the sub...some are made for vented, some for sealed, some for both...but If you like rap than I'd lean toward a big vented box

3. eazy

eazy Full Member

What type of box would you say the kicker cvr's are made for?

4. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Those can be either sealed or vented...but I wouldn't recommend a bandpass

If you want some mad bass I'd build the box to about the maximum recommended size

5. eazy

eazy Full Member

I found this chart on Kicker's website...
    [​IMG]

So you think I should go with the 2.25 cubic feet per sub?

Oh and how come the chart on their website says the cvr12 is 300 rms watts in a ported box, but under the specs section about the cvr12 on their website it says the sub is 400 rms watts?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  6. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

I just plugged the driver into WinISD and what I would do is a 6 cubed feet box with one 6 inch port about 6 inches long.

This is gives you a peak at about 42Hz but the F3 is at 28Hz...This box should be LOUD and hit pretty DEEP...Cone excursion doesn't go outta control till below 27 Hz

The recommended box is really peaky with a peak at 50 Hz and an F3 at 33Hz...

I'd do my box if you have the room....bit its pretty big...what car is this going into??

EDIT...for my design again I changed the port to a 3 by 13 inch vent that is 13 inches long if you want

7. eazy

eazy Full Member

a massive 1999 mercury grand marquis ls :D...

"I just plugged the driver into WinISD and what I would do is a 6 cubed feet box with one 6 inch port about 6 inches long." Is that one port per subwoofer? and that's not a round port is it?

I don't know anything about Hz and F3 by the way.

I just downloaded winisd...which sub is the kicker cvr12 2 ohm on the list?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  8. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

There is no Kicker CVR in on the list....you have to add the driver yourself

9. eazy

eazy Full Member

Does anyone sell prefab boxes like the one you described? I've never built a box before, and I don't know if I even have the right equiptment. I guess I could call some local shops but I have a feeling their prices are going to be rediculous.

10. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Um there are some places online that I have come across that build custom boxes the the money you pay for them is quite high and the shipping of a 6 cubic foot box would cost quite a pretty penny...you could go to a local shop or a local carpenter and have them build it for you

11. eazy

eazy Full Member

What is the Xmax of a woofer? What is the Xmax of a kicker cvr12? and what is an F3? also, why do I want the largest cubic feet per woofer?

12. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Xmax is listed on the kicker site...just in inches..so you have to enter it into WinISD as inches by clicking on the unit and it will change

F3 is also called 3 db down point...where the sub volume starts to drop off...I always try to aim for close to 30 hz as my F3.

Actually you could build a 4.5 cubed foot enclosure with one 6 inch port about 9 and a half inches deep...this is a little smoother but will be very very loud. With a good F3 of 32 Hz....I'd go for this one

13. eazy

eazy Full Member

Is this 6 inch port a round port 6 inches in diameter?

14. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

6 inch diameter or 152.4mm

15. eazy

eazy Full Member

Are round ports better than rectangle?

16. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

A port is a port...there is no noticeable differences in sound between round or square ports.

Most people THINK that a slot vent is better than a round port...but they are wrong

17. eazy

eazy Full Member

I've been trying to design a box, but I don't fully understand everything, like Hz for example... What is the best Hz to have your boxed tuned to? and is the Hz your boxed is tuned to the same as the box's f3?

18. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

wow!!! full of questions!!!!! Good deal!

Most enclosures like to be tuned at around 30-40Hz........for a regular vented box. this gives good low frequency extension and good contrlo of the sub at low frequencies.

The F3 is the 3 cB down point of the enclosure, or the freq. that it starts to roll off in its output....In the car, this can be higher than a home sub due to the transfer fucntion of the car............ If you have a 3 dB down point of 40 or 50 Hz...thats ok........especially if you like to listen to rap and such..I like ALL kinds of music, except rap, and I like a roll off at 40 Hz or so........I like my boxes tuned at #5 or 40Hz....I like the kick of the kick drum and the rip your face off fender bass....... If you want a ported box, and listen to rap, and can respect your system, i say tune it at 40-45 Hz, if not play it safe and tune it to 30 Hz or so......

19. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

F3 is also where the system is at half power correct

20. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

no, the f3 is the "beginning of the roll off" But yes, power handling of the spaker will generally drop off at that point also,,,, but at a different rate..................Lots of math here and i am drinking beer as usual, so........................take my word for it! At least in the car audio world!!!!this is not entirelly true in all applications...............Oh, nevermind.........later