Keep blowing speakers

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by des343, Feb 19, 2011.

1. des343

des343 Full Member

This amp i have keeps blowing my speakers at times i wonder if something is wrong with the amp but nothing i can tell at all no abuse even...im wondering if maybe im just trying to push too much through the speakers but i hear no distortions or anything...they just cut out and there is almost no resistance..i blew a 15 inch L7 and 2 12 inch CVR or at least one for sure..

this amp i have had it turned up no more thant about a quarter over half..

it is a jbl gto 14001 rms at 2 ohms at 1500...so i dont think i should be blowing them or at least would hear some distortions or maybe they are there and i dont quite notice them?

im not sure...im just at a loss...i love the amp gave up a lot to get it but now ive lost pretty much all my speakers and i dont know if i should get new ones or not...or maybe if i paired it with the amp better?

2. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

speakers can fail for many reasons. thermal overload from excessive voltage. thermal overload from excessive DC output from the amp due to clipping, mechanical stresses due to too much power, or wrong enclosure, poor design of the driver itself, even age and enviorment play a part in the equation.

Over the years I have seen most failures due to voice coil failures. This is due to excessive power and or clipping of the amp. even if it sounds good to you, doesnt mean the woofer is happy. This newer music is hard on speakers...dont ask for a 12 to act like a 18 inch sub....

3. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Full Member

this amp i have had it turned up no more thant about a quarter over half..

Does this mean 3/4 of the way?

What h/u do you have(model# and brand)?

4. des343

des343 Full Member

its a sony explode dont know model or anything..

and no just slightly more than half

5. connerray2010

connerray2010 Full Member

an amp of that brand should put out clean power at low gain setings (less than 1/2 of max) any more than that, it will start clipping. im not saying good amps cant put out clean power at high settings, its just the fact that you have to/need good subs to handle the power, cause most name brand stuff is "under rated. im intoxicated, so this might not make sense but im tring lol.

6. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

conner, the gain setting is to match the input signal from the source unit to the amp, it has no relation to the amount of clipping an amp can create, although a higher gain setting will enable the amp to clip earlier in the master volume setting. i too am intoxicated, but lets not get carried away...moderation my boy....moderation

7. des343

des343 Full Member

lol hilarious.