JVC(/Kenwood)

Discussion in 'Car Audio Head Units' started by DurangoJester, May 8, 2006.

1. DurangoJester

DurangoJester Full Member

Hello everyone,Was just wondering if anyone could help me out with a prob? I just put in a new JVC 210 (took out a kenwood 122) and for some reason my cd music will skip once and awhile(same reason i took the kenwood out). I think it might be because i had the loudness on but not to sure,I tuned off the loudness and so far doesnt seem to be doing it. I have a Profile 600 hooked to it with two Fusion 8"subs in a dual box. The head unit is conected with metra quick connects,so everything is hooked up the way it is supposta. Anyone have any ideas? If this is the prob then i could have left the Kenwood hooked up. :confused:

2. Duct Tape

Duct Tape Full Member

make sure the radio is very secure in the dash. some cars you have to add a back strap so the back end doesnt bounce around when you are driving. or you could have a voltage problem, does the head unit's faceplate dim when the music hits hard?

3. DurangoJester

DurangoJester Full Member

The h/u is in pretty tight....might need the back strap but it did it a couple times without even hitting a bump. As far as flaceplate dimming i havent seen it do that at all. Thanks for the info. I'll have to check on the voltage.

4. Hautewheeler

Hautewheeler Full Member

just to letcha know..

I've owned kenwoods all of my life, and always sworn by them. I think they're wonderful, and very user friendly.

That is, until my subs and amps started getting bigger. I noticed that the kenwoods were worse and worse about skipping especially in the "higher" of the low frequencies. what I mean is that when my subs would hit at 30-50hz signals, there was no problem.. when they were hitting 100-150hz notes, they skipped, and it got worse and worse, eventually causing the cd's to get gouges on them to where they'd skip no matter what volume they were played at.

I tried the back strap, that made it worse. it allows the HU to "feel" every vibration of the chassis even better. I tried stuffing carpet padding into the dash cavity to fill the void, hoping to softly stabilize the HU, and that worked for a while, but not very well. I was having problems with a kdc 316 and a kdc 319.. both with the same results.. it seemed like a new cd would cure the problem for a couple of days, but that got expensive and it was a recurring hassle. Everyone that I know who has a kenwood has the same problem. I've heard that they have a problematic anti-skip mechanism, and I beleive that with all of my being.

I recently bought an eclipse HU, and I went for something near top-of-the-line, something I'd never done before.. (I'd always bought the cheaper ones.) I cannot begin to tell you how much of a difference I can see in spending a little bit more money. I have to say that it is totally worth it to save up a little.

I'm not trying to trash on kenwood or jvc, I think they both make fine products, and are well worth the money, but I know that jvc's 200 series is an inexpensive HU.. I know that the day I hooked up the eclipse, my skipping troubles stopped. I have tried very hard to make mine skip, and just can't do it. even high speed over potholes and rrtrax. I usually advocate getting by as cheaply as possible, but I have to say that I am now a firm beleiver in spending a little more on the HU.. You can feel the difference before you even put it in the car.. right out of the box, you can tell how much heavier a good HU is, and it just gets better from there. More power, more options, less headaches.. I'm just very happy with the HU that I bought, and would highly recommend that you try a higher quality HU.. Just my opinion..