Just picked up 3 10inch MTX

Discussion in 'Car Subwoofers' started by des343, Jan 30, 2011.

1. des343

des343 Full Member

Hey guys today i traded an xbox 360 for 3 ten inch MTX subs im sure they are the terminator series. They are together in a seal truck box i also got some really off brand amp that claims its 1600 watts (max im assuming) but not even a brand name on it at all..anyways the guy says it was working fine for him i have yet to hook the subs up to a car amp however had them hooked up to my stereo in my house to test them and they sounded pretty good.

However the thing im not liking is i know nothing about my AMP i just got and dont know where to start finding info as no numbers other than 1600 or anything else is posted on it..

Another problem is i have the same issue with the subs they have MTX Audio on the front and it sticks out (if that makes sense idk how to explain)

I have found MTX makes few 10 inch terminators only really one type but it comes in 4 ohm and apparently 12 ohms (havent heard of many speakers being 12 ohms) But on my speakers there is no labeling either on the magnet itself there is like a stamped serial or something i have no idea what it says but i can make out were it appears to say "12 OHMS"

Issue is i dont know what to do with a 12 ohm speaker i know the speakers are soldered in like they were bought in this box and installed this way they are all wired down at ONE point on the box so 3 speakers and 2 speaker wires coming from the box which i dont know if this drops the ohm load and if so what it drops it too...

I can even take pictures if need be i am just looking for more information on this stuff so i know more about them and how to install them to get the best power out of them.

Most of my post appear to not get answered so i hope this is different..at least try if you can please?

2. 6.5ldiesel

6.5ldiesel Full Member

Get a multimeter if you don't already have one..That'll tell you what ohm the 3 subs are wired to. If the amp just says 1600 and no model number or brand name we cant help you with that.

3. Vinnyrsxs

Vinnyrsxs Full Member

might try posting pictures maybe someone will recognize them and help u out

4. des343

des343 Full Member

5. des343

des343 Full Member

not to you but i love how no one EVER seems to help me on this site at all...

But anyways is there any way to measure the amp itself and what it really pushes out?

6. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Test tones, P = E 2 / R

7. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

you'll need a clamp meter and at least one multi meter to clamp the amp.

that amp will maybe do 300 watts. maybe, and your box should have a final load of 4 ohms.

12Ω ÷ 3 speakers = 4Ω final load.

those also look to be old road thunder subs.

http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/enclosures/RTLoaded.cfm

8. pedro quiroga

9. des343

des343 Full Member

WOW thank you pedro.

And well i only paid 70 for the 360 and i had never even purchased anything for it i just play my ps.

I do like the 10s they sound pretty good from what i can tell without being hooked up to an actual car amp and i did learn they are made for 3 of them from that site to lower to 4 ohms..

and wow yeah the amp is pathetic i actually dont even know how or if it works i hooked it up the other day and got power but couldnt figure out why i couldnt get any sound out of it LOL 1600 watts rms 80 sad. I did open it up and there is like hardly any circuitry on the motherboard at all! However i cannot open the link for the subs.

Could you possibly tell me the wattages?

10. pedro quiroga

im thinking 750 watts on the subs should be about right.

11. des343

des343 Full Member

wow thank you and thats not too bad at all thats rms right?..though they have slight tears in the foam on one speaker and i put a hole in another one so i need to repair them what is the best way to do this..i heard silicone but like bathroom silicone?

And how would i apply it.

Also where could i find a multi-meter and are they expensive? The amp im still trying to figure out if it even does anything i found on another site someone said they managed to get more power from the amp after adding a little bit bigger fuse than the 15 amp is this possible? Im not afraid of burning the amp up right now i dont even know if it works like i said i tried to test it but i also didnt have everything hooked up ideally is there a way that i could hook it all up in my house?

I have read a way to do it but it involved a computer power supply which i have quite a few but they are not available to me right now other than the computer im using.

Thanks again Pedro. I appreciate it

12. pedro quiroga

regular clear silicone will work to fix the subs surrounds. get a reg wal mart plastic bag, apply a dab on the tear and smooth it out with your finger in the bag.

if the amp has a 15 amp fuse then it wont do but maybe 150 watts total.

adding a larger fuse will allow the amp to make more power but that amp was not meant to make a lot of power to begin with. it truly is a piece of sh!t amp.

its worth more as scrap aluminum to be honest.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  13. Haryer

Haryer Guest

Just picked up my Eclipse CD8455. I paid for the install, that way I could get the 3 year warranty from Eclipse :. I will probably start really playing with it on Monday. So far I am likning it :D . More infor to come a little later.

14. caraudioking

caraudioking Full Member

if its the older mtx terminator subs they are just barely better then the blue thunders! the should be around 150 rms per woofer so about 450 rms total for 3 woofers