JL W7 13 and Hifonics Brutus 2000

Discussion in 'Car Subwoofers' started by crazi, Feb 23, 2010.

1. crazi

crazi Member

I have a Brutus 2000 woofer that puts out 2000w at 1.5 ohm. That is what it says on their site. The JLw7 13 rms at 1500 and peaks at 3000. Its a dual voice coil 1.5ohm. Will the Brutus work with that or does the dual make it 3ohm.. My friend hooked up my first system and dealt with all the ohms. No he can't help this time and I don't want to screw anything up and want to give enough power for optimum performance without hurting my amp. Any help is needed..
    Thank you..

2. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

I am going to assume you have a Hifonics amplifier and JL subwoofer. If the woofer is dual 4 ohm coils you can wire it to 2 ohms or if its dual 2 ohm you can wire it to 1 ohm. Either way the Hifonics Brutus amp should be stable to 1 ohm, what model number do you have??

3. crazi

crazi Member

My buddy has the woofer right now. I'm not sure what the model number is at this point. I have the Brutus, its a BXi2010D. I think the woofer is a W7 though. I should know tomorrow. The W7 13 says its a Dual 1.5ohm. I haven't done anything with JL's and it seems to me that the 1.5 and 3 ohms are too common. I just want to figure it out and I'm hoping my brutus can power it while staying STABLE... Thanks

4. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

I am not too familiar with JL products, but if it is dual 1.5 ohm coils, just run 1 coil and you will be wangin that woofer with no problem and the amp will be stable.

5. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

ok looked up the 13W7 and you r right about it being dual 1.5 ohm voice coils, with a thermal power handling of 1500 watts. it also weighs 52 lbs, thats 1 heavy bitch. That amp should be just perfect for that sub, just wire 1 coil and let her rip.

6. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

If you wire one coil, the power handling will be half of the Rated RMS. I would wire it parralell and get .75 ohms and let independance rise take care of it after that. It sould be alright. I have heard of people running those Hifionics amps at .5ohm. just make sure your electrical is up to par because that is what kills those amps is voltage drop.

7. crazi

crazi Member

are you sure the brutus is ok at .75ohms?? I really don't want to screw anything up

8. jonnyv713

You should be all good, especially with the independance rise. I cannot stress how important it is to have a good electrical with it though.

9. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

So your saying if you only run 1 coil of a dual coil sub it drops the power handling by half?? I never knew that, I learned something new today. In hindsight I guess it makes sense, I just never really thought about it.

Anyway back to the thread, I agree with jonny about .75 ohms, it should hanlde it ok. But like he said make sure your electrical system is in good condition. Also use good wire and mount it in a area that will get good airflow, running that low of impedence it will run hot. Really the worst that will happen is the amp will go into protection, then you will can rewire the sub to just 1 coil.

10. crazi

crazi Member

Since its been awhile since he has used it I think he forgot what it was. I just picked it up from him today and its a 12W3v2 Dual 6 ohm. Is my Brutus 2000 even an option?? Let me know soon.
    Here is a PDF of the sub manual..

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/12W3v2_MAN.pdf

I guess my question is can the amp run a anything other than 1,2 and 4 ohm.. Like 6 or 3

11. jonnyv713

yup wire the positives and negatives together. it will be 3 Ohms

12. crazi

crazi Member

Do you think the Brutus will put too much power to the 300w rms sub??

13. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Full Member

You should be fine as long as you turn your gain all the way down,don't use the bass boost at all,and set your gain on your amp with the volume up to 3/4 of its max(on the h/u).When it starts to distort,turn the gain down a little bit.I bet that it will pound pretty good.

14. jonnyv713

Oh man.. I didn't see it was a w3 till now. If you already have the Brutus just wire it at 6 and turn the gain wayy down.