Is my amp fried?

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by Civic96, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Coming from work today I noticed that my sub was no longer working. When I came home and noticed that the problem was that my amp was not turning on. I checked all the wires on the amp and they seem to be in place. I took my HU out and checked the couple of wires going from my HU to the amp and they seemed to be intact. Knowing close to nothing about how it all works I have no clue what the problem is. Help :baby:

2. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

fuse problem

3. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

where am I supposed to find replacement fuses?
    How do I tell which fuse needs to be replaced?

4. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

well where are you fuse's

Internal amp? Wire?

you need to visually inspect every one, and see if it is blown,

if you that visually look blown, it still may be, unlikly but possible...

you will need a MM (multi Meter) to know more if everything visually checks out

5. joelsbass

joelsbass Full Member

Personally I prefer my amps baked rather than fried... :baby:

if you don't want to spend the money on a Multi-meter, you can just pick up a test light, it'll let you know if there's current flow across the fuse... your nearest car parts store should have both the fuses and the test light (they'll probably have a REALY cheap multimeter too....) try autozone or the like.... If it is a blown fuse it should say on it what ampere rating you need... if it's clear glass with a copper cap on each end it should be engraved on the cap, if it's two prongs sticking out of plastic it should be printed in white on the plastic...

Hope that helps :D

6. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

there are two and they say 40 on each :p

I checked both fuses and they seem to be fine. To tell you the truth I wouldnt even know how to tell if they are not fine, there is just a piece of metal inside them. :blink:

7. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

does the metal looks broken at all?

do you have a fuse on the power line, near the cars battery?

8. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

The metal is not broken.
    THere is a fuse next to the battery and it looks fine, but Ill double check it.

I had to rescrew the amp against my backseat because it fell off, I hope I didnt drill through a wire or something. Do u think Circuit city will check my amp for free to see if its ok?

9. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

that will be up to the person in charge that day...

you chances are better if you go during a non-busy time

10. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

I thought my amp was gone forever but a few days ago it just randomly turned on. I was happy as a school girl for about 2 days until it turned off again. You guys think its more likely to be shisty wiring or an internal problem?

11. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

you guys SUCK :D , where the F! is everyone!

Anyways, my amp started working again today, but for how long only God knows.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom? Seth, Michael....

12. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

things to check:

Light on amp - there might be one, hopefully there are two.
    There's usually one LED on the amp that lights up when the amp is on, and goes dark when it is off.
    Sometimes, there is a second LED that is a protection light - if a protection circuit is tripped, it lights up. Sometimes, one LED does double duty... lights up green for "on", and red for "protection", and off for "off".

If the amp is off, and light is off - that means the amp is not working because it is off.

Could be a blown fuse - the one underhood, if a glass one, is always suspect - even if it passes visual inspection (wire inside doesn't look melted), it might not be good. Only should be a buck to replace that one - just replace it to be safe and see. ;)

If not that, then it could be the remote wire. It's the blue one coming off your deck, hooked to the "remote" terminal on the amp. It goes to 12v when the HU is turned on, and that tells the amp "turn on!". If that remote wire came disconnected anywhere (or sounds loose, if this problem is intermittent), then that could be the culprit. check the connections.

If there is a "protection" LED, and it is coming on, then that indicates something else. Amp has power, fuses are good, remote wire is fine - but possibly something bad is going on with your subs. If they've been hooked up a while, we can rule out "wrong impedance subs",. But if they are blown (to any degree), it might be windings are rubbing on loose windings, and causing a short in the voice coil - making the impedance too low, and possibly damaging not only the subs, but the amp. Thank god your protection saved the day, if it did!

If the amp is in fact turning on (power LED is on), and the protection light is off, then it might be as simple as a poor signal connection - might be bad RCAs, or loose ones - but I don't think this is happening, because usually you'd hear one channel or another go out, not both... although this is a sub amp you are talking about, right?

Hope that helps you troubleshoot it! B)

13. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

I will check the amp to see if the protection light is on next time it goes off. Right now its turning on and off every few days. It worked last night for my ride to my friends house and when I came back out the sub wasnt firing anymore. I was driving home from work today and too a rather sharp left and all of a sudden it turned back on. Im frustrated cuz living w/o bass is awful :(

Once again the amp went out. I checked the light and they were all turned off. I dont think its a loose wire because it was working fine for an hour then I turned off the car to go inside and came back out 5 minutes later and it was no longer working. Can reversed RCA cables to the amp be causing this? I might have reversed the two RCAs and im thinking perhaps im overheating the amp. When I put my hand on it after it shut down it was burning hot. It was a hot day though so it could be unrelated.

I was playing with the 12v wire to see if it was the culprit. I rewired the wires behind the deck but that did no good and I reconnected the 12v wire to the amp and that did nothing. I am pretty confused

It cant be the fuse b/c it randomly turns off and on

14. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Good news guys, I think I found the culprit! I believe the problem has to due with the contacts on the back of the faceplate or the front of the HU (the ones that touch each other, duh :bash: :D ). I realized that it would always stop working after I took off the faceplate. I cleaned off the contacts and blew on them for good luck, and woala(sp), the bass kicked back in. I did notice that the bass fades in and out at times also. Have I found the culprit or is this yet another hallucination of a young and fragile mind? :alien:

Please respond :detective:

15. Teslank

Teslank Full Member

you should check the wires that go to the subwoofer too and check inside the sub box too, already happened to me the terminal unscrewed from inside and there was no connection, sometimes a sharp corner and it was working for 2 secs :p. check for loose connections. and the last steps if anything goes wrong again is to go see visually all your wires(power,remote on, RCA ground) meaning you need to take off the trim to see.
    about your contacts use some contact cleaner, put some on a clothe and wipe off any dirt or burns.

16. Attack Eagle

Attack Eagle Full Member

This one has been over for the better part of a year. Let's not answer problem solving problems that are more than a month or two old, ok?

17. Teslank

Teslank Full Member

whooops lol ok