ipod help...

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Willy D, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

Ok....I am a total newbie at this...here is my situation...

about a year ago I bought my son's ipod off of him because he wanted a larger one. The one I bought is a 30 gig version....I opened up an itunes account on my computer...I went in first to start putting my CD collection onto the ipod...Some whole CD's and other ones I just picked songs from...I spent a couple days doing it and right now I have 266 songs on it. That was 9 months ago...I started dating my girlfriend and eventually we talked of moving in together. I gave my computer I had at home to my son for college.

So...I would like to add more of my collection to the ipod and eventually use it in the car in place of dragging CD's with me....Last night I plugged the ipod into the girlfriends computer (no itune account on it) and charged the ipod up. When I went into the removable disk device in the comp, it pulled up "Bill's ipod" and only a few of the albums I have on it came up to view in the comp. All 266 are still on the ipod....Do I need to start over or can I just open an account and add to it and dump to the ipod or what is my next move...

Sorry if this all sounds kinda garbled...I am clueless on these things...

Willy

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

you may be able to authorize that computer to add new music, and maybe view/load the other songs from your ipod to the computer.

3. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

I will try it when I get the chance...thanks..

Willy

4. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

I have an Alpine HU....a 9856. How do I get an ipod cable to be able to connect my ipod to the HU so I can feed the ipod in and control it?

Thanks

Willy

5. Khayman

Khayman Full Member

You need the Alpine P/N KCE-422i ($15 on ebay), this is a cable that connects to the back of the unit and allows connection to the cable supplied with the iPod. It says its propriety, so I am guessing the connection on the back of the H/U isn't a standard connection. You have to have a 3rd Gen or newer iPod.

Here is the link to the manual that shows this.

http://vault.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM CDA-9856.PDF

iPod control info is on Page 22
    iPod wiring info is on Page 32

6. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

I think al the Alpines have the same cord. I have it. I think you can get em from Sonic for like $20 or $25

7. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

Thanks....I have seen a couple of different versions and read some reviews where people said it worked perfect and have also seen some where they said it did not charge the ipod and it coould not be controlled from the HU...

btw.....I got itunes loaded into the comp at home and ofcourse it recognized my ipod but could not sync to it unless the contents were erased, so I dumped the 266 songs I had on it...Guess I will just start over with putting my music onto it and go from there...Can't wait to get it hooked up in the car and be able to use it and have much much more music of my own at my fingertips without draggin discs with me...

Willy

8. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

Well...I got the cable and so far have 100 songs on it...Man I love that thing...

Willy