IPOD connected to an Alpine CDA-105

Discussion in 'Car Audio Head Units' started by blklabs, Dec 19, 2009.

1. blklabs

blklabs New Member

Just had this radio installed. When I connect my IPOD, it works sort of.....

When I run through the source choices, I don't get an IPOD option, but the IPOD does play on the AUX option. I'm supposed to be able to control the IPOD through the head unit but, that doesn't work. I have to control it from the IPOD itself. Any ideas?:confused:

2. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

What ipod are you using? Also are you connecting using a USB input or some other direct connect cable, like the Alpine Full Speed cable.

Alpine usually has no weird iPod problems.

3. blklabs

blklabs New Member

I've tried two IPODS a 30G that I've had for about 3 or 4 years, with a software release of 1.3 and what I think is a 3rd generation (square shaped as opposed to rectangular) nano 8G with sw Rel. 1.3.1 or 1.1.3... these are connected by a non-USB cord that runs from the back of the radio to the bottom of the IPOD.

4. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I'm not sure about the 30Gig, but the Nano's shoulds work. First you need to be hooked up to the unit using the USB cable. It should have come with the radio. You can use the same cord that you hook the iPod to the computer.

Reset your iPod
    Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
    Press and hold the Menu and Center (Select) buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 8 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

Does the CDA 105 have a reset button, if so reset it.

Turn on the radio, then plug in the iPod. The iPod display should change and say Alpine.

Let me know what happens

5. blklabs

blklabs New Member

Sorry for not getting back sooner. You were right Ranger. Apparently there are two different ways (cable connection types). The cable they (Best Buy) originally used was not the USB. I could play either IPOD but had to control it directly from the IPOD itself. The USB cord was very short, so I went back and they extended it. Now when connected to the USB the Nano works like it's supposed to. Thanks! :)

6. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

You are very welcome

7. matson

matson New Member

blklabs, i bought the same stereo the other day. Are you using an alpine cord that you bought from bestbuy or an ipod cord that came with your ipod?

8. zzjakect

zzjakect New Member

Same kind of problem

I just installed the cda-105 and when I plug in the iPod (its a 4G shuffle) I get ERROR CODE 2. Any thoughts?

9. zzjakect

zzjakect New Member

more info

I have a similar problem. Installed the cda-105 and when I try to use the ipod shuffle 4G I get ERROR CODE 2. I have the usb cable that came from crutchfield with the unit.

10. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

It won't work with Shuffle. It will work with all other iPods

11. zzjakect

zzjakect New Member

thanks for the info!

12. Ruins

Ruins New Member

Similar Issue

I have an iPod Classic (120gig) and a brand new CDA-105 head unit in my van. The iPod worked just fine as I left Best Buy but after changing to disc, or tuner, it doesn't work now. When I go to the iPod it will register that it's connected and I can see all the playlists, artists, etc.; but it will remain at 0:00 when I try to play a song. I'm using the cable that the head unit came with (which, as I said, worked prior). I haven't tried a real iPod cable with it because the one worked initially, and I also haven't tried the reset of the iPod that I read above in the thread. Anyone else having this issue? As soon as I leave work I'll try those two changes and see if they help, but maybe in the meantime someone will come up with some info for me. Much appreciated!

13. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I had one incident like you described. Reset your ipod.

I had exactly the same thing happened to me. I have a second Ipod in my glove box. I plugged it in and it worked. I plugged the original one back in and it didn't work. I unplugged the original, reset it, and everything worked as normal. It only happened the one time so I have no idea what caused it.

14. Ruins

Ruins New Member

Yup, reset the iPod and it works. Thankfully. :)

15. Klinkster

Klinkster Full Member

I've read nothing but bad stuff about how alot of Alpine's models(especially the budget models) really suck at controlling Ipods and jumpdrives. I actually saw Amazon last week had an older model alpine that retailed for over $300 when it was released on sale for $70 (I almost bought it) It was the IDA-200 http://www.crutchfield.com/S-WZ86xeWhAlB/p_500IDAX200/Alpine-iDA-X200.html

It got horrible reviews about how taunting of a task it was to navigate ANYTHING. Radio stations, you name it, also how it crappy the interface was for IPod especially, so I passed.

I thought, well it must have been a junk model, but in reading alot of comments on the newer models, it seems they've improved some of the usability controls, but still havent perfected the Ipod controls, especially on the latest generation of Ipods.

BTW, it may have been a typo on Amazon's part cause they stilll have that model there for $175 now.....I should have jumped on it and Fleabayed it :D

Good luck!

16. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

The Alpine controls the iPod better than alot of radios out there. The iDA series was specifically designed to control the iPod and it does an awesome job.

Ask people who actually own these units before you form an opinion please. Now the iDa X200 had a minor glitch but Alpine took care of it
    http://www.caraudiotalk.com/audio-forum/showthread.php?t=7045

This really is the easiest HU to use with an iPod, how do I know, I own one

[​IMG]

17. TE5LA

TE5LA Guest

Another problem using the proprietary I-Pod (non-USB) interfaces is that they will not charge the newer generation devices. There is an adapter for this.

The weird thing I've noticed in Alpine is how they order folders. They aren't listed in any logical pattern. The Alpine units aren't compatible with as many different devices as, say, a Sony. The cheap Sonys will operate Sandisk players, I-Phones Droids, and even stream Pandora from some devices. You need a special Alpine model to work with Pandora. Searches are a bit better on Alpines. The Sony search is pretty lame. On most models, you can scroll to different folders, but you can't see any songs within the folders. The people that design car stereo MP3 functions are real rocket scientists.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2010
  18. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

wow! you have been busy today. welcome to the site.

19. TE5LA

TE5LA Guest

Thanks, I have no life :)

20. Klinkster

Klinkster Full Member

With all the informative info I've been reading from your posts today, it sounds like you have quite a work life in this business.

You work at a shop?