Intro

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Electrodynamic, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Electrodynamic

Electrodynamic Full Member

Clarke told me to post something about myself, so here it is. ;)

But seriously, it looks like this forum is going to be really good. I see that Nizzy, Clark, Scott, Dan, and others are already here.

And oh yeah, I own Stereo Integrity. :rolleyes:

2. delvryboy

delvryboy Full Member

glad your here.....now when will a 15"D2 be in the works? :D

3. Electrodynamic

Haha, that won't be out for a long time unfortunately. I also know nothing about speakers. ;) We are, however, working on building a big bad boy. 'anyone noticed Jacob's (Sundownz on the forums) signature ending of "new subwoofer"? Heheheh :D

4. I8apony19

I8apony19 Full Member

We decided to pass up the 15 and th 18 and head straight towards a 21"...I mean....bigger IS better,...right? :p

Unfortunately.. :stupid:

5. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

That's very cool, nice to have you onboard!

Always good to have manufacturer reps on board...

I'd love to talk to you sometime just to talk over your experiences on the business and marketing side of the fence... ;)
    Any chance you are going to be at CES?

6. hoss

hoss Full Member

clarke, everyone knows bigger really is better. i mean, look at your mom :lol:

love the avatar there josh, err clarke :p . much love.

7. I8apony19

I8apony19 Full Member

No Stereo Integrity at CES this year :(

I hope to go for fun...try and meet David from RE too...

8. josh99ta

josh99ta Full Member

Well, well, well, look what the dog drug in. :p Welcome Nick, glad to have you on board. This forum seems to be pretty awesome as far as the intellegence of the members and the contents of the posts over here. I think you'll like it just fine, and you wont hear many people with DUMAX boners talking about how the Magnum is an oversized midbass driver.

And screw the 15", give me a somewhat lightweight (20 lbs give or take 5 lbs) 10" that'll hammer out the low notes with 250w-500w in around 0.75 cubes and have the accuracy and tonality of the Magnum. Thats what the world really needs to be a better place.

And for those that dont know much about Nick, I've met the guy and let me tell you this. He drives an old beat up El Camino with a windshield banner that says Hessian For Life, has a mullet, and a tattoo on his left shoulder that says Shirley (I could easily see this because he had the sleeves of his flannel shirt cut off). Real nice guy though. He's good people :p

9. I8apony19

I8apony19 Full Member

TRADER!!!!!

And who are you calling a dog???

Nick has a mullet?

Folks....this is THE one person in Car Audio I wish I could meet one day, just a totally stand up guy, awesome personality...he's the one person who thinks about moving mass while he's on the john....

Oh yeah...everyone refer to him as ANAL

10. josh99ta

josh99ta Full Member

Moving mass while on the throne, I'm impressed. That's dedication. I usually like to kick back and enjoy the wonders of nature and the human body while I'm in the happy place :lol:

Really though, Nick is an awesome guy. I've yet to meet Dan Wiggins in person or Mansville Smith either, but I have met Nick and he's an awesome kinda guy. Meet a few others in the audio industry as well, even some internet companies big guys, and no one has impressed me as much as Nick. Real down to earth guy. One of the three people in the industry I'd love to met, but the only one I've had a chance to (the other two are at the start of the paragraph).

And Clarke, you = the pooch, if you are indeed the one who brought him over. Hey, where are some pics of your install man. And did you ever get the SeXXX?

11. I8apony19

I8apony19 Full Member

I am digital camera-LESS..so no pics of the install as of yet...maybe this Christmas season I'll get off my Eggnogg chugging bum and snap a few shots

SeXXX actually is going to bang on sunday...going to run up to Fresno and Stoner and I are putting together a 9 cube (CRX box lookin) beast that should pound out a mid 150's in Street 3-4...

I'll see if Stoner can bring his digital camera and take some pics of the event...

Oh yeah...you have one of the nicests stealth installs I've ever seen Josh..just brilliant...after this event..you and I are talking about how I can figure out a stealth install for my amps...

You going to CES?

I never see you on AIM...holla at me at I8apony19....

12. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Well...
    Tell us about the SI drivers then!

I have to say, I'm a DUMAX fan (really a DLC fan) myself...
    Although I'm aware of cases where sequential DUMAX tests yielded inconsistent results...
    Why is the Magnum criticized?
    What are it's design features, it's target audience? (and are the criticisms unfairly without respect to that?)

Dan Wiggins is a great guy to meet in person, as are any of the Adire guys... they all are knowledgable, and energetic and excited about their work. That's the best part.

Stephen Ponte (formerly of DLC, now of TC Sounds) is also a great guy to meet, he's an enthusiast also, and really is energized about his work.

I tried to bump into Manville Smith at SEMA, but couldn't find him (and I'm not sure what he looks like).. I was going to tease him about the commission check he owes me for all the times I've stood up for his W7 and XR components... :D
    Maybe I'll introduce myself at CES.

Maybe I'll get to meet "Backwoods Nick" with his mullet, mesh ball-cap and camoflage vest here too... :lol:

13. hoss

hoss Full Member

nick doesent own enough hair to be granted a mullet.

however, back in the day he did rock a superfluous molseter moustache.

14. I8apony19

I8apony19 Full Member

I'm going to leave most of your post for Nick to answer...but I can answer a few things....

In my honest opinion, the Magnum is probably the tightest woofer I have heard to date, and by far the most accurate at the same time...I had mine in 4 cubes tuned to 28...but I'm going to shoot for 3-4 cubes sealed and see if I can find some different kind of results...more or less gain some experience for those who ask "what works?"

The Magnum is criticized because it lacks low end in a 1 cube box as compared to the e12a. It's also criticized for 'supposedly' not liking power on paper. (I Laugh)

Some important things to consider about the Magnum...

It's suppose to be an SQ minded driver (80/20 for those that like ratios)....too bad my buddy did a 150.6 with one on an AC mic last week...

Very efficient speaker, thus the reason why it only needs 600wrms

It has a pink surround....

15. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

What's the Qts?
    Granted, most drivers are pretty middle of the road... but you wouldn't throw a CV Stroker in a sealed box, nor a Tang Band 8"...
    Generally, the lower your Qts is, the better off it is in ported apps.

And the E15A was built for tiny box applications... BL is about 30 on the thing, Vas is small, etc. :blink:

Remember Hoffman's Iron Law?
    It states that in both loudspeaker and enclosure design, the following three parameters are mutually exclusive:
    1) small enclosure size
    2) low frequency extension
    3) high efficiency

So, if you optimize a driver for small enclosure size and low frequency extension, you inherently have to sacrifice off it's efficiency.
    If you optimized it even more fully for small enclosure size, you'd trade off not only it's efficiency, but also low frequency extension, etc.

So, if the SI driver needs a decently large enclosure, it makes sense that it would either have a higher efficiency, or better low frequency extension, or both.

Bear in mind, the same trade-offs apply for building an enclosure...
    I'm sure I could take your SI driver and make it suck (based on whatever priorities you have)... and I could make that E15A impress, with nothing more than the Iron Law rules in mind. Or vice versa. B)

That's also why I'm more of an objective comparison fan, rather than a subjective "but... I heard one" type of guy...
    You can't ever hear a speaker, after all... you hear a whole signal chain, and listening environment, and enclosure... all subject to manipulation, and most likely not representative of your own signal chain.
    And it's pretty tough sometimes auditioning things in your own car... particularly when "enclosure" is so difficult to equalize...
    How could you say an enclosure's design is "equal to" the enclosure of another woofer, with respect to the benefits of each? Tricky. B)

16. Electrodynamic

Hahaha, thanks for the kind words guys. :) And yes, I do think about moving mass while on the john.

The Mag models with a "high" F3 in a shoebox sized sealed enclosure, which is why it has gotten criticized in the past. What most people fail to realize is that the driver was designed to be played in a vehicle. I actually didn't even think about it's performance outside the vehicle. I am a stickler for light moving mass, lower-than average Qts's, and tons of throw. :D The Magnum could be rated at 1000 watts RMS if I really wanted, but I preferr rating products in a more old-school manner. The Magnum can pound with the best of them (Hollis did a 156 with 4 of them in an Explorer - stock alt, battery, stock class, etc, and of course Clarke's friend's score with a single driver).

Some of you might have also noticed that I run the 502 components, which are any custom system that I do. Hollis will be running a set of them (completely different than mine) in his Taurus as soon as he lets me rip his vehicle apart to do the install. :)

And Josh is right, I do drive an old El Camino. A tripple black 1969 SS 396 to be exact. :D

17. Electrodynamic

And for some odd reason I can't edit my previous post, so here's another post with the Magnum's T/S's:

Re: 3.6 Ohms (coils in series)
    Fs: 32 Hz
    Sd: 0.05 sqM
    BL: 18.6 TM
    SPL: 88.4 dB (1W/1M)
    Qms: 4.05
    Qes: .41
    Qts: .37
    Vas: 38.5 liters
    Mms: 175.7 g
    Mmd: 169.2 g
    Cms: 108.5 uM/N
    no: .43%
    Xmax: 24 mm
    Mechanical p-p: 2.6”

18. hoss

hoss Full Member

never!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok, maybe this summer. but you will have to wear the silly hat. :p :D

19. I8apony19

I8apony19 Full Member

I already love this guy......

Well....It is safe to assume that you have introduced me to a "law" of acoustics...I knew the interaction between the 3 elements, but it's nice to see someone put it all in one post...

I will post a few more questions/ideas when I get back from DB Drag this weekend....wish me luck!

20. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

No intro needed. Welcome aboard Nick. I have heard such wonderful things about the Magnum, and in speaking with you, it seems as if you are a righteous dude too B) .

I certainly hope you maintain a presance here on CAT. While I am a dyed in the wool Adire groupie, I really think it is imperative to maintain a broad spectrum of companies presant on a board. It offers variety to those seeking knowledge, experiance, and opinions. One of the main reasons we chose Luv, who is an ED fan, as a super mod is to offset any possible Adire bias I may have in my modding duties (for those of you wondering, it was my suggestion ;) ). I personally feel that for a site like this to grow, and remain helpful, we need many differant tastes.

On that note, welcome aboard Nick. I certainly hope you spread your insight and knowledge, leaving some behind. Also, who knows, maybe we can help you leave with some new thoughts or ideas as well.

We need good people, involved in the industy like you. I for one appreciate what you can, and hopefully will, bring to our little hole in the wall.