Installing Bluetooth Unit (Alpine KCE-400BT)

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by tbreeding, Sep 11, 2010.

1. tbreeding

tbreeding New Member

I'm installing an Alpine KCE-400BT Bluetooth Unit to my Alpine iDA-X305S head unit and I'm hitting some walls.

Two things: Where does the pink/black wire go?? I spliced it inline with the existing pink/black wire on the wiring harness, and all my head unit will say is "Interrupt" on the screen.

Second: On the iDA-X305S when I hold the "Setup/Function" button for 2 seconds it goes to the setup menu where the first option is "BLUETOOTH". When I hit the "Enter" button IT DOES NOTHING!!

Does this mean I have something wired incorrectly? Please Help.

2. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Pink/Black goes to Pink/Black, make sure its not grounded anywhere

First, Lets make sure that Int Mute is Off and AUX+ is OFF.

So first reset your radio. Take the face off and press and hold the reset button for 2 seconds. Put the face back on and turn the unit on. Press and hold setup/function and select General (I think thats where its at). Find INT MUTE and make sure its OFF, then find AUX+ and make sure its OFF.

Now lets go to the Bluetooth menu, find BT IN (I have an X303, your display is different from mine, it may say something different) and set it to ADAP or ADAPTER.

Turn your Ignition Off, wait a couple of seconds, then turn it on.

Your unit should be ready now (atleast thats how I remember it, I put my KCE 400BT in a few months ago)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  3. tbreeding

tbreeding New Member

Thank you for the reply. So I set "Aux+" and "Int Mute" to "Off" and it got to the BLUETOOTH menu and set it to "Adapter". So now what do I do, just choose the KCE-400BT on my iPhone or do I need to set some more menu items on my Head Unit?

Because my iPhone sees the KCE-400BT, but won't pair with it.

On my head unit in the BLUETOOTH menu there are several menu options, the first one being Bluetooth In, with is set to Adapter, the other menu items which are "Paired Devices" and "Visibility Mode" are NOT accessible. I turn the dial(Double Action Encoder), but nothing moves, the only menu item available is the "BT In".

Am I missing another setting or something?

4. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Remember after you set BT IN to adapter, turn the ignition off and then back to on.

I remember having a minor problem with mine (not the same as yours) but I don't remember exactly what I did.

Lets see, I unplugged the 400BT, reset the radio,
    turned ignition off then on.

Went to General settings and made sure INT MUTE was off and AUX+ was Off

Then I went to the Bluetooth menu, went to BT IN and set it to Adapter.

Now I turned the ignition OFF, plugged in the 400BT (plug in cable first, then the power Plug) and turned the ignition ON.

I believe thats the order I used, but I don't remember why or what the problem I had was.

Because your phone sees the 400BT visability is set to ON, so we are OK there.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  5. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Because you have no other menu options, your radio is not seeing you 400BT. Make sure the cable is well connected.

6. tbreeding

tbreeding New Member

It turns out that, when I would do something right, I would do something else wrong.

So: BT In = Adapter, INT MUTE = OFF, Aux+ = OFF, what next?

The Pink/Black Wire WAS causing my screen to say "Interrupt". So I disconnected the wire.

However, when you set INT MUTE to OFF, this defeats that. So I set it to off, but I did not reconnect the wire. When I finally reconnected the wire, everything started working.

Jeeze!

7. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

The initial set up for the Alpine is a real pain in the **s. But it does work well. My voice command and everything works flawlessly. It took me 5 to 10 rounds to get everything paired and working right.

Now all you should have to do is pair the two devices. You should have Pair Devices available in your menu. Also, make sure your phone is set to VISIBLE or the 400BT cannot see it. Once they are both paired, you can set your phone to invisible again.

8. karmakvisser

karmakvisser New Member

I know you guys have the situation in hand. However, I'm a newbie and just purchased an ida-x305 and a kce-400bt. I need to install them both in my 04 Grand Marquis.

First question, where did you install the 400bt? Is it worth while to put it somewhere accessible?

Secondly, do you need to have the additional high speed iPhone cable? Or do you not need it since you are connecting via bluetooth?

How has the BT been working so many months after the install and can you setup 2 separate iPHones?

Thanks for any help.

cheerz

ken

9. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

My 400bt is located above the radio and access to the unit is not necessary. I can connect to the 400bt wirelessly with my laptop (it has bluetooth also) if I need to do an update or something.

No, you dont need any connection between the phone and the 400bt.

Don't know, I've only hooked up one phone at a time to my unit. But so far its worked flawlessly.

I will tell you this, pairing the phone the first time was a real pain. Follow the directions exactly and Alpine directions suck.

10. BrianZHP

BrianZHP New Member

I have a similar setup (iDA-X305 and KCE-400BT) and have a few comments and questions.

1) I tried about 20 times to get my head unit to recognize thet the 400bt existed. Checked connections, reset, cycled switch between setting changes, etc. I gave up and waited until the next day. The Alpine directions are BAD. I started dismantling the dash and tried it one more time before getting too far. This time it worked. Why? Who knows. The one odd thig was that the only way to get it to pair - by accident - was to have the head unit OFF then initiate pairing from my BlackBerry. That actually turned the head unit on and paired successfully.

2) Now the questions: I've read about other people having to re-pair (not "repair") every time the car is started. Were there any resolutions to this? I have firmware 311.

3) My incoming calls properly interrupt the audio, but if I initiate phonebook call from the head unit, it kills the call instantly and goes back to the audio I was playing. Any ideas why it only works one way? (I CAN initiate calls form the phone.)

Overall, when working properly it is a nice setup. I now have capability to play iPod, USB drives, phone-stored music, Sirius, Pandora and --when all else fails -- AM/FM. The sytems just seems to be "quirky."

11. Dead_Goldstar

Dead_Goldstar New Member

NewBe instaling a KCE-400BT Bluetooth moduel

I have an aftermarket Alpine ixa w404 that has Bluetooth Interface module # KCE-400BT does anyone know how to hook up the Bluetooth module. The store wanted $100.00 to install it said the module unit needed it's own power supply hooked up and the microphone is difficult to install. I would appreciate any help with installing it myself any ideas how to hook it up.I already have the unit instaled just need to get the Bluetooth wired in. I appriciate any help you can offer me. :eek:
    Thank you in advance for your help