I'm Ready For The Brahma!

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Honest Bob, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

I blew one of my Armageddons, so its time to move on to a Brahma 10" or two.
    I want to:

Compete with it. (140DB ?)
    Sound good doing it.

Sealed or Ported? Would I need two to hit 140?

Gonna be running them off my JBL1200.1 for the time being. Hope to get a nicer amp with in the same power range soon.

Most importantly what size box? I prefer something with a little punch.

2. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

Two Brahma 10s

2.5 cubes @ 30hz should do you nicely. Not sure about your competing goals. Not with 1200w at least. Not to say it isnt possible.

3. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I'll agree. 1.25 per is a great figure, but I'm a sick fella, I like a lower tune ;) .

Low 140s should be doable with this set up too...

Great selection of drivers too mang ;)

4. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

He wants a lil punch though.

But yeah you could tune lower to get better low end and then EQ in the punch you need.

Keep in mind that the Brahma is a very transparent sub as well. Many do not like this because they arent constantly reminded that theres a $300 sub sitting behind them hehe.

5. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

He wants a lil punch though.

But yeah you could tune lower to get better low end and then EQ in the punch you need.

Keep in mind that the Brahma is a very transparent sub as well. Many do not like this because they arent constantly reminded that theres a $300 sub sitting behind them hehe. [/b][/quote]
    The 10 should stay punchy... I don't think that will be an issue really.

6. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

How low would you tune it Seth? Punchy is good, but I dont need alot of it. My Armageddons were never really punchy, more of a boom. How would I go about translating these specs to a car audio shop to get the box built? :baby:

7. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I like 25-27 Hz

do you want a slot port or a round port?

8. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

Slot I think. Dont the round ones have a tendency to rattle?

BTW any reason your 10" Brahma MKII set is $12 more than buying two brahmas seperatly?

9. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Yes, because the 10 inchers are currently on sale, but they woln't be for long...

Gimme a bit, I'll do you up a design... I assume you want 1 box? Or do you prefer 2?

10. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

Oh sales are cool! :D I'll be ordering the Brahmas from you, sale or no sale.

I would prefer one box.

11. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

2.5 feet, tuned to 25Hz... a 2.5 inchX10 inch port, that is 39 inches long.

I like a wrap around port, to strengthen the rear wall, and all you will need is a simple brace to support the front wall right between the drivers.

12. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

Orderd two MKII 10" Brahmas from Sound Foundations last night! Sent a check this morning via snail mail. Cant wait! :D

13. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Cool, but now I am confused... Bob isn't true, and that makes honest untrue :blink: So you are really Dishonest Not Bob... a living, breathing oxymoron :p .

JK dude, thanks for the order.

14. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

:eek: Nooo! My secret! Sorry Seth, but I'm gonna have to kill ya after you ship those subs... :lol: :lmfao: :D

15. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

I just took those port specs to a local shop. He thought 39" was huge. How big is the total enclosure going to be?

16. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Just a bit over 3 cubic feet... The port will take up .56 feet (excluding wood).

Believe me, my 1.9 footer tuned to 23.5Hz uses over a 42 inch long port. A single port for a low tune with a big port area will be a bit long. Trust me.

17. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

:eek: Ok, I'll see what they can do. :D

18. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

My guess would be they are used to building some "formula" enclosure at their shop, and it's usually tuned to something like 35hz or 40hz even...

"Hey man, I had my box built at _____ shop, and it SLAMS man!" :rolleyes:

19. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

Well he said to bring in the sub/manual/box specifications/car to see if he could make it work. I guess my best bet would be to get it from Woodlawn cabinetry...

20. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

"We'll see if we can make it work"
    ...what kind of BS is that? :rolleyes:
    He just has to build it, you've even taken away the hard part of building an enclosure - the design!
    There's nothing for him to "make work"...
    I'd definitely bring it to Phil from Woodlawn... no doubt this shop's egos are getting in the way, they can't even agree to do a job, if it's not to the letter of "their way"? :rolleyes: