im new to the car audio world, and i have no clue about amps.

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by johnpd, Aug 17, 2006.

1. johnpd

johnpd Full Member

my title pretty much explains it all; im new and i have no clue. ive been researching a lot lately and ive learned a lot about head units and speakers/subs, but amps are really confusing to me. if someone could just give me an explination about amps, it would be awesome.

im wondering what amps exactly do, why they are needed, what to look for when choosing an amp, and how to install them.

im not asking for an in-debth explanation of amps, i just want to learn as much as i can.

also if anyone knows any good web sites that can help me, that would be good.

thankss

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  2. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

Well to be simple about it all they do is amplify the signal coming from your stereo, hence the name amplifier. It should not add anything to your music. Whatever signal goes in should be the same when it comes out just louder. You should look at THD or total harmonic distortion, the lower the number the cleaner the amp is going to sound. But dont get to hung up this number as human hearing is not that good. But if your comparing 2 amps side by side and that # has a large variance between the 2 you just might be able to hear it. Also damping factor is important, the higher the better. basically it tells you how well your amp will control your speakers. Also headroom is important, again the higher the # better. It tells you how well your amp will respond to large musical peaks, its very important in an amp that will push subwoofers. Now to power output, alot of it will depend on what subs you will be using, single 4 ohm, dual 4 ohm, 2 ohm, dual 2 ohm, single 1 ohm or dual 1 ohm. you have to match the impedence of your sub to the amplifier. You cant run a 2 ohm sub on an amp that is only rated for 4 ohms, it will overheat and go into protection. If you are planning on buying a sub that is 1 or 2 ohms make sure you buy an amp that is "high current" or the specs show that it can run a 1 ohm load. if you have any questions about what I wrote just give a holler, were all here to help.

3. johnpd

johnpd Full Member

sweet, that was real helpfull; but i have a few more questions.

do you connect your amp to your HU and then your speakers are connected to the amp?

and do you have to have a amp just to specifically run a sub(s)? or can you buy one amp to power all your stuff?

and say you are using 2 subs that have 2 ohms each, would you need an amp that can handle 4 ohms?

yo thanks again dude

4. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

Well you hook up your amp to the hu by way of the rca outputs. most aftermarket stereos will have front, rear outputs, the better ones will have front, rear and sub outputs. you run a long rca cable from the back of your headunit to the rca inputs of your amp. They do make 6 channel amps but they are quite large and quite expensive, its usually better to run one 4 channel amp and a dedicated subwoofer amp. As for your ohm question, your going in the wrong direction. If you have 2 2ohm subs most likely you will need an amp that is 1 ohm stable. BUT it depends on how you have them wired, series, parralel . It also depends on if you are running dual voice coil subs and how you have each sub wired. It would be hard to explain all the ways to wire subs. You can check out some websites, I think Fosgate and crutchfield and diagrams on how to wire subs. It would be easier to see it than to try to picture it in your mind.

5. johnpd

johnpd Full Member

i didnt mention that this is gonna be my first "system" and also my first car.

since i dont want anything huge i was thinking i could just get new speakers, and hook them to a HU, then maybe get a sub with a mono amp.

would the sub over power everything eles? or could i just keep the sub at a lower volume so that all the levels are good?

also would aftermarket speakers sound any good running off just the HU alone?

6. johnpd

johnpd Full Member

those sites were pretty helpfull thanks

7. johnpd

johnpd Full Member

also are amp/sub combos worth paying for?

8. weird22person

weird22person Full Member

Those predone combos are usually less than good. You should start with the new HU and speakers. If you want more base then add subs(size and number depends) and an amp. After that you can dicide if you want to amp the speakers as well. What have you decided on HU and speaker wise?

9. johnpd

johnpd Full Member

that was exactly what i was thinking of doing; but i havent gotten in specifics yet about what HU and speakers.

thanks for helping