I'm Finally Done!

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by AustinKP, Dec 11, 2004.

1. AustinKP

AustinKP Full Member

2. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

god that si the worst thing I have ever Seen, I am tramatized I must now sue you for all your worth :p

just kidding, Looks damn good....................

3. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

Very nice job. :)

A couple suggestions for next time though. I recommend trying Rage Gold body filler instead of Bondo. You will find it is much easier to work with. Also on a project like that, I recommend using grill cloth to stretch your shape instead of fleece. It takes a lot less resin to soak through and won't be as thick, so your finished project will be a little thinner but just as stong.

Steven Kephart
    Adire Audio

4. AustinKP

AustinKP Full Member

I didn't actually use Bondo. I got some stuff in a tube that dries in 5-10 minutes. It was pretty easy to work with, and had a nice hard finish. Can't remember the name of it. If I do anything else, I'll definitely look into Rage Gold though. I've heard that recommended from more than one person.
    I would have done grill cloth, but my wife had some really lightweight fleece laying around, so I used that. Again, in the future, I'll use that as well. Thanks a lot for the tips and compliments. :D

5. joelsbass

joelsbass Full Member

purdy....

6. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Lightweight fleece actually isn't so bad.
    Select Products sells a specialty fleece made specifically for this purpose...
    It's not terribly different from what you used, other than it having interesting stretch properties... stretching extremely in one direction, nearly none in the other.
    Works really well for fiberglassing. ;)

I'm working with another guy on a Neon right now...
    We're installing four monitors into the doors of the neon, one more in the engine bay, and one more on the trunklid - all of them requiring extensive glassing, for pods to house them in.

I'm working on the sub enclosure, which has two subs firing at angles, built very much like you made your door pods here (so were five of the six monitor pods). In that case, I had to build the enclosure up to give it strength, where with the monitor pods, we didn't need to add any additional material, other than filler.
    And in our case, we used a specialty filler primer - after a cursory sanding, we gave it several coats.. and sanded it smooth.
    Pretty cool stuff - but pricey, at about $45/pint.

I'll have to start taking some pictures I suppose... car needs to be done by this Friday. :eek:

Also, another side note...
    Check out Hurricane Nuts at Parts Express instead of T-nuts.
    Annoying thing about T-nuts is when you accidentally poke the T-nut right out the back of the baffle... tink, tinkle... :mad:
    Hurricane nuts have barbs on the neck, so they don't push out accidentally. B)

7. PolkMM

PolkMM Full Member

can you get hurricane nuts at lowes or home depot?? what size would be sufficient to hold subs to the box? also, is 8 coats strong enough for the bottom of a sub box??
    thanks
    -Cody

8. AustinKP

AustinKP Full Member

The stuff I got is called "Quick Dry Rubberized Undercoat" by Transtar Autobody Technologies, Inc. Anyone know if this would stick to my plastic kick panels?