I'm Back!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by jonnyv713, May 18, 2008.

1. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

ok as u all know, i have been gone for a while. it takes a while to get enough motivation to fix the computer when u HAVE A NEW CAR TO WORK ON!!!!!!

ha ha, ya thats right, while i have been gone i got a 1987 Olds Cutlass! im in love!!!!

here is some pics. when i got it, it hit a deer and crunched it up pretty bad. luckily i have a friend with the same exact car and he helped me find a lot of parts, i worked on it for 9 hours straight today. tomorrow, i am starting to hang the panels and prep them for paint, black of course.

C1.jpg
    this is the night i got the car

C2.jpg
    after i tore into it a lil bit

C3.jpg
    little bit more

C4.jpg
    new panels sat there to look at and get an idea

C5.jpg
    after a lot of hammer work, bending and painting, it looks really good now after a new raditaor support cause the other was completely mangled!

2. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Nice Ride!!

3. jonnyv713

ya, i decided to get an 85 nose cause i like the four headlights instead of the 2. it was relly cheap too. i couldnt beleive it but after finding out that it had sat for 3 years, i thought it would require some engine work but after 43 dollars on a new batters, it started right up.

after i get this body work all done and it drivng, i will putting in a system. nothing too crazy but enough to get the job done. this trunk is EFFIN HUGE!!!!!

4. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

I was wondering what happened to you. Nice.... fix that up good and it'll be a sweet ride...

How does the interior look?

5. jonnyv713

oh, and did i mention, ABSOLUTELY NO RUST!!!!!!! well no rust on the body, i took off the fenders and there was a little surface rust on the inner fender wells.

6. jonnyv713

the interior is nearly flawless, it was a little chip in the corner of the dash but thats about it, i will take some pics tomorrow of it and the work that gets done. i intend to making a photo album to go with the car cause i am planning on keeping i forever.

7. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

lol, my buddy had one long ago with some krager rims however that's spelled and 50 series tires, those cars move lol, you won't like the gas though.

8. jonnyv713

i dont care lol i get 7 miles/gallon with the dodge so i wont complain lol

9. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

nice car. dont forget to change the oil and plugs/wires,and cap n rotor.

flush the rad,check the hose's, check the brakes too! maybe flush and bleed the brakes also.

if its been sitting for 3 years alot can just rot away.

oh check those tires!!

10. jonnyv713

yup i will do alll that, i am putting new BFG traction T/A tires i think. i spent another 100 bucks at the auto parts store today, luckily my dad gets discounts at o'reily's thanks to his boss. ill put some pics of what i did today up in a lil bit.

11. jonnyv713

C6.jpg
    interior

C7.jpg
    put on this much of the body today

C8.jpg
    nice butt! lol

C9.jpg
    door panel

today i put in a door pin kit, and boy was that a pain in the azz, put the passenger fender on, reshaped the driver side fender, put some bondo and stuff on the drivers fender, put the nose in place and started to bolt it on, put the new battery in it and drove it to the opposite side of the driveway, put in a new radiator hose.

the only things left to do are finish the drivers side fender, complete putting on the nose, getting grill inserts (which is seeming to be hard, i will call junk yards tomorrow) put new hood on, paint it, and then it will be ready to drive! until i start paying attention to the fine details and putting in a new motor!!!!

12. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Since your working on it, why don't you just take the seats out, pull the carpet out and shampoo the whole carpet out of the car. Get that interior looking real new.

the interior looks surprisingly good! That's an important factor for me.

Looks like it's coming along very well. Where are you going to have it painted?

13. jonnyv713

not going for that right now, lol i have limited time right now and i am focused on getting the body lookin good right now, i will always be working on it, i have worked on it since last tuesday all day. i think i will do the carpet later. as for paint, the guy that is helping me find the parts and is partially guiding me, i hope is going to help me find a guy to paint it. i figure i will pay about 150-200 bucks to paint the drivers fender, nose, and hood.

14. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

150-200 bucks for paint is pretty cheap. Hope you can get it done for that much. that would be sweet.

15. jonnyv713

ok well i started paying attention to the faded passenger side of the car today and after about an hour and a half i finally started seeing results. here they are.
    Quarter panel.jpg

16. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

you know that's what i'm really into. I used to own a detailing shop. What did you use to shine it up?

17. jonnyv713

i used turtle wax red rubbing compound and whit polishing compound then finished it up with a meguires mirror glaze. i used a ellectric buffer for it.

18. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

did you use a rotary buffer or an orbital? what kind of pads did you use for it? That's a simple 3-step that you did. It does look pretty good.

Most mistakes that people do make though when they use buffers is that they use the wrong kind of pads. for each step that you do, like heavy compounding for example should have it's own pad a course or wool pad would be used for the first step , then when you move to a polishing compound you use a different pad the is a bit more softer. Last step (wax) the pad should be VERY soft. Doing it that way will make the paint look almost new again.

What i used to do especially when the paint was very dull. I would first see if the paint was still thick, then if it was i would take some 2000 grit sandpaper to the paint and wet sand it down. then I would start buffing it out. Cuts a lot of time down when buffing.

19. jonnyv713

it was an orbital, but i just used a microfiber type pad. they for the mirror glaze i used a VERY soft rag and did it by hand. i wanted to wet sand it but i just didnt get around to it.

20. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

ok, that's why is took you a while. You would need a more a abrasive pad when compounding. a microfiber type pad is only good for polishing. What kind of orbital buffer are you using? porter cable? I think you can pick up a compounding pad for like $10. it would save you a lot of time if you spend the $10 for a more abrasive pad. Prolly shave a good 2 hours on doing the whole car.