i made a terrible mistake!!!

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by pedro quiroga, Mar 5, 2010.

1. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

ok a few weeks back i bought some 3 way passive xovers. ive been too busy and sick to install them until today.

so i was routing my midbass wire down the door when i heard a loud nasty pop. then a whine. .... all my fault for listening to the radio while doing it.

i should have turned the head off then routed the wire. it was making a terrible whine.

BUT!!.... my epic 160 has speaker wire inputs, so i was able to rewire and now no whine.

so to all you guys working on your heads with the power on...... dont. you could mess up like i did.

i almost.... almost just yanked it all out. i was ready to quick this hobby all together.

2. pedro quiroga

ok.. i'll tell you what! the epic160 with speaker in's is crazy!!

i had the xovers gains on 2/3 of the way up and i had to lower them both to 1/4. sub and mids out. at 13 out of 62 i was blasting.

so i reset my gains and all is nice and quiet again. it sounds a lil better too now that each speaker is getting its own specific frequency range.

id be screwed if it didnt have speaker in's. i mean the whine was as loud as the music.

3. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Full Member

It sounds like the time when I didn't pull fuse from amp before switching amps.I touched the power wire from one to the speaker out of another amp.$60 later oooooooooops.

4. pedro quiroga

yeah it was a dumb mistake on my part. ive only been in this hobby for 22 years. you would think i knew better.lol.

this happened to an older pioneer unit i had in 06, this was its replacement. sad thing is i have yet to see its equal. i guess a 880 would work but having a dual 15 band eq's would make for a looong tuning session.

they also dont have the OEL color screens anymore...... do they?