I am back....subs...

Discussion in 'Car Subwoofers' started by Willy D, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

Hey everybody...I am back checking in...Just an FYI...had a few vehicle changes and now I am gearing up to hopefully put a system in my 2001 blazer..

Here is what I got...

HU????? Not one yet...thinking Alpine
    Front stage...still got my infinity reference separates (6.5/tweets)
    Subs....I have 2 8"...ED 9kv2...dual 4ohm
    Rears...gonna leave stock
    Sub amp...Kenwood...big mono amp...not here at the moment, dont remember model...never used yet
    Front Amp...Soundstream rubicon 502

I have the prints that someone made me on here for a box for two of these 8's...I cannot see a height measurement only width and depth...I gotta take some measurements of my blazer....I carry drums in the back of the blazer so I am in a pickle as to where to put everything...I would rather not have to take stuff in and out, but not sure yet...

opinions??

Willy

2. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Hi Willy, where have you been hiding? welcome back!!!

Since you are carrying drums a lot of the time maybe you should make a box with the 8's firing down so if the drum hits the box the subs won't be hurt. Then you could just mount the amps on the backside of the the box. I know that really isn't the greatest idea but that's all i can come up with at the moment.

3. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

downfiring is a great idea

4. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

Been working on this...Bought it last October

It is a 1986 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator...Had it painted...Installed new rear progressive shocks...Replaced front fork seals..Replaced water pump...Cleaned fuel tank out (rust)...have been going through carb cleaning/tuning issues...replaced mirrors....and other various things...

She is very fast and I love riding....

Willy

Attached Files:

5. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

And I have been doing this....Hope to start in some competitions soon..

Attached Files:

6. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

Here is how the plan is shaping up in my head...Build a box that I have plans for...box is gonna be 10.5" deep, 16.25" high and like 25" wide....I am gonna mount the box with woofers facing down..Probably put a couple spacers under the box to give a gap between box and floor...Box will be mounted directly behind back seats in the hatch area, centered side to side..Since my width available is 39", I am gonna mount one amp on each end of the box vertically..Since the seat comes back at a slight angle, the gap between the seats and the bottom of the box should allow my wiring to run there...As you look at the box from the rear, I am gonna put fillers on the ends to match up with the interior, so it won't look like just a box sitting there....Looking down from the top I am gonna do the same thing...This will enclose the amps on each side, so I am gonna have to keep them cool with fans...

Head unit will go in stock spot and the bass boost knob for my sub amp I am gonna mount somewhere in the front...Since the doors are fitted for 6.5" speakers and the dash has 4x6 speakers, I think I am gonna mount my Infinity 6.5 in the doors and mount the tweeters under the grills where the factory 4x6 are...Rear speakers I am just gonna leave the stock ones...With putting drums in the blazer too...it is gonna be a very tight fit...

that is the plan at least....

Willy

7. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

i have my bass knob in the center console. i have a 96 so it has/had a spot for cassette tapes. i had to cut a few of the ribs that held the cassettes to make mine fit.

its at my finger tips and very easy to adjust on the go.

8. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

Quick question for aznboi3644 (or anyone else that can answer)

A while back I asked question about these subs and I got a CAD drawing of a box that was 10.5 x 16.25 x 25 with a port in it to house two of these subs...Say I use three of them...Is it possible to do that and keep the 10.5 and the 16.25 dimensions and stretch the 25 out as long as it stays under 39 inches??

Just curious..

Willy

9. pedro quiroga

yes cause azn did one for me.i'll post link in a bit

10. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

I saw that one....I could go a little deeper (10.5" instead of 8) and maybe a little wider if I could get that 20.5 down around 16...dunno....I dont want it sticking up above my seat and that is around 17"..I cannot go really deeper than the 10.5 or my kick drum case wont fit...My box would be turned so the drivers face down..

Willy

11. pedro quiroga

hmmm well i could live with it being 38 wide as long as it didnt show over the back seat. 11 deep will work too. azn you reading? ;)

my wheel wells are 38 wide. how is it yours are 39?

12. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

hey Pedro...I measured carefully...You are correct....38" between the wheel wells.....So I guess that would also be my max width I could be...

So if I can go with a 10.5" depth, with a 16.25'' height and it can fit somewhere around 38" wide or less, I will be good to go....If not, guess I will use two of these subs instead of three....

that will make a difference on where I mount the amps....

Willy

13. pedro quiroga

my probox is 29 x16.5 x 11 ported. mine is 2 cubes.
    http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_27_39&products_id=117

maybe you can model it with this. and face the box to the back seat. my amp is on the back seat.
    what amps do you have and how big? i was able to add my little hifonics vulcan into the jack area. (my spare rides inside) now my spare rides on the roof on my rack.

14. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

I can go a couple of ways....If I go with two subs then my box will be about like yours....I believe both of my amps would fit on the ends of the box..One is a Kenwood KAC 9152 mono amp and the other is a Sounstream Rubicon 502. I would face the box down (or up?) so that I only come away from the back seat about 10.5 inches (I need to fit drums in there)...I would mount the box there with the amps on the ends..I would make a cover for the rear face of the box and the top side that would cover everything....

If I go with three subs and I can maintain the 10.5 and the 16.25 and get the right space with up to a 39" width, then I will put a false floor from the back of the box to the back of the blazer and make it deep enough to sink my two amps down there..I would still have enough headroom to put the drums in...

My head unit is gonna be an Alpine 9856 model...

Willy

15. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

Nice brother....

Willy