I a back again...

Discussion in 'Car Subwoofers' started by Willy D, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

ok..I am hoping to really get my stuff together this time...lotta changes for me..

My pickup is going to my youngest son...my blazer I had was traded off for my new vehicle...a 2001 tahoe...my work car is now a car my oldest WAS driving...a 94 sunbird

The sunbird has an Alpine 9856 h/u in it..kenwood 6x9 and 3" dash speakers.

The tahoe has all stock speakers and a clarion in dash dvd/cd player..no external amplification that I see

I still have my kenwood class d mono sub amp and my soundstream 2 channel amp...and...I still have four 8" E.D. dual 4 ohm subs...I also still have my infinity reference seperates (6.5 woof/tweets)...

I would like to put the seperates in the front doors of the tahoe running off the soundstream and 2 of the 8's under the rear (middle) seat of the tahoe...looks like I could get two subs and the amps under those seats...The sunbird would get a box with the other two 8's and I would get an amp to run those....any thoughts on the tahoe set-up?...I am kinda thinking about pulling the clarion out and put a cd player in it's place (minus the dvd)

thoughts??

Willy

2. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

welcome back Willy. Long time no hear!

Are you sure some 8's would fit under the seat of the tahoe? I know for a fact that the amps would fit under the front seats. would putting a box in the rear be an option in the tahoe? as far as the clarion is concerned, just keep it there for now and see how it would sound with the amps and subs. You may like it. you never know.

Don't be a stranger man... How's life treating you nowadays?

3. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

I will post more when I get back home on my PC....On vacation using a friends laptop...PITA...

I am concerned about space...

Willy

4. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

Hey Willy welcome back! You are the one that needed space for drums right?

5. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

**** this damn laptop...I type a whole big damn thing and then something happens and it will jump up like six sentences and it all disappears...In the middle of typing it it went back to nothing and all was lost....Damn

I will type more when I get back home on my regular PC...talk about damn frustration

Willy

6. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

OK...I am back home again and I am on my own computer finally...

Here are some of the issues...

I gig about 3 weekends a month and I live in a townhouse, so the drums stay in my vehicle 99% of the time...I want to have the stereo stuff be in there and not just be like "oh yeah, here is a big bass box"...I am thinking I might be able to make enclosures to put under the rear (middle) seats and also put the two amps under the seats...

I like the sound of the Clarion HU but it is butt ugly hanging out of the dash. If I put the screen in, I can still play CD's but I have absolutely no display..I think I would rather have just a nice CD player that is compatible with Ipod and MP3 formats too..

Willy

7. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

wanna take pics and sell it? lol

8. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

ok willy, can you get some measurements of the room that you have to work with under the 2nd row seating? so the amps will go under the drivers and passengers seats?

Hopefully, the box designers here will be willing to help out.

9. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

johnny...I may infact sell it...In the tahoe is actually a big screen that folds down for backseat people to see video too...It is mounted on the headliner. Under the rear seat is also a cable to hook up a playstation or something as well. I am divorced and live alone, so it's not like I am gonna be taking kids on vacation to use it....and there is a camera mounted in the back of the truck (inside)....all of this stuff is stuff I will probably not use..

I will try to get some measurements...I have to leave shortly to drive down to my son's college for an award's ceremony for him (300 mi round trip) and my band plays a gig tonight. I just got back in town from a florida trip, so bear with me...I will get the stuff...I will take pics of all the stuff as well..

Willy

10. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

UPDATE....

I had my stuff installed in the Tahoe...

Infinity Ref separates in front doors (6.5 woof/tweet)

Infinity reference coaxials in the rear doors (powered from H/U)

H/U stayed the same but that is next on the list to change out (clarion in dash CD/DVD player is coming out)

Soundstream Rubicon 502 Front stage amp

Kenwood mono amp running subs

JL audio wiring (I gotta do the big three yet)..2 guage from battery to distro...4 ga from distro to amps

First thing I had him do was build me a sealed box for two of my ED subs (8's). He built the box, everything else installed and brought it back to me....

Subs sound like ass....So I left it alone for now..I had just started coming down with being sick...Long story short...went to ER on sunday...got meds...by next sunday was worse, back to ER...Diagnosed with mono...I have basically been sick for 3 weeks, off work for the last two

I had started building the box to put all four 8's in the box (ported) that was designed by someone here....So I had this guy finish that box nd mount the subs in it....It has tremendous low end, but SQ sucks balls...Kick drum has no impact at all...Total disappointment again...

For my beater I had bought from this guy a JL sub (12" in a ported box) and we decided to try it....Big improvement....So as for now that is what I am running...Soon the clarion is coming out and an Alpine unit going in (no video)

I am gonna attach some pics of the boxes that didnt work...No pics of the install yet...Those will come

Willy

Attached Files:

11. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

the box for the 8's looks nice. too bad it wasnt to your liking. can i see some diff angles of the box?

12. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

Here you go bro...

Attached Files:

13. hardhitta

hardhitta Full Member

i like your design bro

14. pedro quiroga

that looks to be just a lil smaller than my box. whats the tuning?

maybe a sealed box will work better for you.

15. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

Here are the plans I built the box with...

http://www.caraudiotalk.com/audio-forum/showthread.php?t=6620&page=6

I don't know what the tuning is...I know the box plays low, but it does not hit. I may be willing to try another build but if that don't work I am scrapping the ED subs...Right now I have a JL W1 12" in a JL slotted box and it kills those ED's.....

Willy

16. pedro quiroga

hmmm maybe you can make one like mine.?

38.5 wide x 16 tall x14 deep.

Attached Files:

17. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

Any other details on your box? How tight and accurate is the bass? Does it hit hard??

Lemme know

Willy

18. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

yeah willy, get pedro's design.. I heard his 8's and they really pounded hard. SQ was also great with them.

19. pedro quiroga

thanks, and CC that was only 3 you heard. lol.

it pplays from 23hz to around 80 before it drops off. deff nice tight bass. kick drums really hit you nice and hard.

im at work now but will measure the port when i get a chance.

20. pedro quiroga

ok lets see if i can describe this......

ok port opening is 14in wide x 2 high x 9in deep.

the bend is 9 in tall x 2in tall by 14 same as the opening. all 3/4 in mdf no bracing inside.

box 38.5 x16 x14. dont know the tuning but it plays deeep. so ima guess 25~28hz.
    hope this helps you out.