Huge Milestone For The Nat... 200k Miles

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by sandt38, Oct 17, 2003.

1. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

[​IMG]

There she is, about 3 seconds after turning this:

[​IMG]

That is 200,000 miles.

She got a bath and wax

[​IMG]

Also, as a gift for 200,000 miles of massive abuse I changed her:

Motor oil (Mobil 1 is all that ever goes in her crankcase, and an AC Delco UPG52, premium synthetic oil filter, jobber cost of $9 or about $17 for the public),

Transmission fluid and filter (Type F for firmer shifts, Delco filter kit),

Differencial oil (Kendal synthetic with GM posi-additive),

Coolant (Prestone).

Plugs (AC Delco)

Fuel Filter (AC Delco)

and I cleaned her K&N 9 inch cone.

I also decided to fill her up with race gas and run the boost to 24PSI for the tank...

2. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

So which one of you is older again? LOL

Is that 200k on the original motor?

3. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Uh, well, I creak and squeek more :p

No it is the 3rd motor. The first was replaced before I got it so I don't know if it was a failure or a performance rebuild, the second was just poorly built. It lasted about 1 month. The guy who built it obviously had no idea how to build a turbo motor. It was because of the poor build quality that I got the car. The engine and trans were a total loss when I bought it. The block was litterally in pieces and the Tranny had a couple gaping holes in it. This motor I built has about 100K on it (all parts scavenged from the motor I bought have ~70K on them before I got ahold of them), and of that 100,000 I put on it almost 50,000 was pure abuse. This is the 7th tranny since I bought the car. I stopped racing it at the track about 5 years ago (when I entered the 11s, NHRA chased me down and told me I had to put a cage in it).

4. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

just tell them

"hey Sonny, I am as old and the ground your standing on, so I dont need not stanking cage" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: B)

5. jstutman

jstutman Full Member

wow congrats..... im not even sure my car will make it to 100k its all over the road but its not the engine the tranny is just crappy buit from the dealer.

6. luvdeftonz

luvdeftonz Full Member

Hey Seth, my little city had a car show today and I saw a Grand. Nat that is eerily similar to yours. ALL black and revving to go! It still had the window sticker. $11K for the GNX option!!! Jesus freakin' Christ! The owner had the hood closed, so I couldn't see what engine mod's he might have made. I took a few pix, though :) I'll have the pix developed to CD and link them within this thread. Lot's O' American muscle on display today.

:)

7. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

GNX?

That is a super rare car. There were only 547 of them made, and #1 was crushed. 546 hit the streets and less that 450 of them are known to still exist.

Here is a page I built dedicated to the GNX. Actually, if you look around the journal you may see some other goodies about the Buick turbo-6 that may interest you. Plus, on that page I linked, you will see the GNX's motor.

8. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Yeah, I've seen a bunch of GN's around here (what were the prod #'s for those anyway? There's seriously about 10 guys who have them, in this area.. the Cazenovia park show seems to bring them out each year...), and a few T-types... all of them silver, I believe. One GN was sprayed white, I don't believe any came that way.
    I don't believe I've ever seen a GNX, but I wouldn't have known to look for the fender flares, other than that, it seems to look just like a GN, minus the GN badges?

What about aftermarket parts, to basically do the GNX mods to a GN?
    Not saleable, too many restoration enthusiasts?
    I know if I had a GN, I'd consider upgrading to a ceramic impeller turbo (hell, throw a bigger one in there while you're at it! :D), and a better intercooler...

But then again, "restoration" was never my thing, in a purist sense.

9. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

are you sure they are Really GN;s

GN's only came in BLACK, (I think there was brown one year) but for the most part they were black (no white)

Also the Regals and the GN are pretty much identical unless your really really lookinmg

infact, my plan is to make a "look alike" GN because my broke ass can not afford the real thing :lol:

10. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

It may have been one of the T-types, I don't remember that well...
    I thought one reason I remembered it (besides GM Bright White being one of my favorite colors) was because it was the first white GN I had seen... so I'm thinking it had badges... I don't know though, really.

In a world with painted Deloreans, and all the body shops (and 'friends who are body guys') around this area, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a real GN painted white. :blink:

My personal "look alike" wouldn't really be a look-alike at all, but rather a car I just think would be cool, and I'd bet wouldn't be too tough to actually do...
    Problem would be locating a GN motor, and parts, I'd think (but authenticity would take a 'not even a concern' back seat, to performance.. particularly as the turbo componentry goes).

I've always been a lowrider fan, a sports car fan, and a low truck enthusuast...
    I could see a last-gen El Camino with that powerplant, rain gutter shaved, swapped doorhandles from something a little smoother, body debadged and smoothed, sitting on an air-ride suspension, a nicely shod, wide set of 19's tucking at all four corners...
    That, I might actually consider trading the Civic for. B)

11. ASM

ASM Full Member

Just curious, what were the HP and TQ ratings on the GNX?

12. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Alot of this info is in my journal actually guys ;)

Buick Cars Produced with 3.8-litre Turbocharged V6 from 1978 - 1987. Year Model Number of Units
    *1978 Regal Turbo Sport Coupe Estimated ~ 19,000---
    *1978 LeSabre Turbo Sport Coupe Estimated < 1,000---
    *1979 Regal Turbo Sport Coupe 21,389---
    *1979 LeSabre Turbo Sport Coupe 3,582---
    *1979 Century Turbo Sport Coupe Estimated ~ 1,000---
    *1979 Riviera S-Type Turbo 2,067---
    *1980 Regal Turbo Sport Coupe Estimated ~ 17,000---
    *1980 Century Turbo Sport Coupe 1,070---
    *1980 Riviera S-Type Turbo 7,217---
    *1981 Regal Turbo Sport Coupe Estimated < 10,000---
    *1981 Riviera T-Type Turbo 3,990---
    *1982 Regal Turbo Sport Coupe 2,022---
    *1982 Riviera T-Type Turbo Estimated < 1,000---
    *1982 Regal Grand National Sport Coupe Estimated ~ 25---
    *1983 Regal T-Type 3,732---
    *1983 Riviera T-Type Turbo 1,331---
    *1984 Regal T-Type 3,401---
    *1984 Riviera T-Type Turbo 1,153---
    *1984 Regal Grand National 2,000---
    *1985 Regal T-Type 2,067 ---
    *1985 Riviera T-Type Turbo 1,069---
    *1985 Regal Grand National 2,102---
    *1986 Regal T-Type 2,384---
    *1986 Regal Grand National 5,512----
    *1987 Regal Turbo T (various combinations) 8,547---
    *1987 Regal Grand National 20,193---
    *1987 Regal GNX 547

All GNs were black. The 1982 and 1983 models were black over silver with the rest being solid black.

I believe the GNX was touted at ~310HP and the GNs at 280HP. Both ratings were grossly understated (bear in mind, the GN is the 3rd quickest car GM ever produced, taking a backseat to the GNX and the Z06 Vettes ONLY) Torque for both was roughly 325 Lb Feet.

The T-types and turbo Ts were available in any color.

Almost all the GNX parts are almost all available to the public. The turbo is specially engraved however and you must have the certificate of authenticity to recieve the specially engraved turbo for your #ed car. However, the McLaren suspension (which also used a track bar that directly braced the Transmission to the differencial hogshead) would be so costly to perform as to make actually buying a GNX more financially feasable ;) .

Besides, you wouldn't be able to get that cool dash plaque with a # from 2-547 on it, or the special "owners package" and declaration certificate that you are "one of the lucky 547".

Chris, I'll call you this weekend about your Honda.

13. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Here's a bit of trivia, I said third quickest cars, can anyone tell me the trucks that GM made that were faster?

14. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I've been kicking that around actually. I've dropped a few GN motors in El Caminos in my day, and they fall right in. The computer and wiring harness (OK and money right now too ;) ) are really what is holding me back from dropping one in my ElCo. I want to get my thumper done in the Elco first, then concentrate on the motor swap and other freshening it will require.

15. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

I dont know the 454 SS??????

but on my comment about a "lookalike" I would be a True "lookalike" all fake, I would use a small block GM motor, :lmfao:

I just like the body style :boxing: :blowup: :bag:

16. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Oh, pshaw... easy! :D
    My two favorite trucks of all time...
    Both wearing badges of the normally very non-performance-oriented, utilitarian GMC...
    The compact Sonoma-based Syclone...
    And the compact Jimmy-based Typhoon.

Personally, I don't know which I'd rather have... for some reason I can picture the Syclone handling better, but there's just so much irony in owning something so very practical as an SUV that also had mind-bending performance abilities... :D

I don't know about you, but I think that GM has fallen well short of it's established standard of performance for "trucks clad with body kits" with this current S-10 and Blazer Xtreme junk. :lol:

It's really funny that you bring them up, Seth...
    Because I was just about to post the question for you as to how the two motors compared... the Syclone/Typhoon motor compared to the GN/T-type motor?
    They weren't the same, correct?

17. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

*sigh*

now I've been thinking about the Typhoon for the past 20 minutes..
    Did a search and found a Typhoon/Syclone forum, classifieds...
    You can find a good, clean <100K '92 Typhoon for about $12K apparently!

Oh, look at that.. 91 Syclone #27, 66,000... - only $9K!

At any rate...
    THAT is what I want my Pathfinder to handle like, none of this wallowy trucklike garbage.. :ranting:

18. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

**Dreaming of a Typhoon**

The Sylone and Typhoon both use really stiff suspensions and all wheel drive. It was the all wheel drive and massibe boost presure launches (durring brake torquing) that allowed for better numbers.

They Had the Chevrolet 4.3L V6 in them though Chris, not the Buick 3.8L. They also used water to air Intercoolers which were mounted on top of the engine rather than the front mount air to air cooler of the Nat. While the air to air is more effective, the lack of space under the hood forced them to mount the coolers on the trucks up top where no fresh air is, and water cooling is considerably more effective.

The Syclones are more rare, and quicker, but they are too small IMHO. The Typhoon is where it is at, as long as I am not the guy trying to get into the back seat as they are all 2 door ;) .

Mike, the 454SS is very fast, but it lacked the traction required to keep up with the Nats.

19. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

traction who need traction,. it is all in the BURN BABY lol

20. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

OK, check these out:

1987 Buick GNX -
    276HP
    360 ft/lb
    0-60 - 4.7 seconds
    1/4 mile - 13.4 seconds @ 104mph
    top speed - 124mph
    skidpad = .88g

1987 Grand National -
    245HP
    355 ft/lb
    0-60 - 6.1 seconds
    1/4 mile - 13.85 seconds @ 99mph
    top speed - unspecified
    skidpad - unspecified

1991 GMC Syclone -
    280HP
    360 ft/lb
    0-60 - 4.6 seconds
    1/4 mile - 13.5 seconds @ 99 mph
    top speed - 126mph
    skidpad - unspecified

1992 GMC Typhoon -
    280HP
    360 ft/lb
    0-60 - 4.8 seconds
    1/4 mile - 13.8 seconds @ unspecified mph
    top speed - 125mph
    skidpad - .78g

cool website, too.
    But those numbers are impressive, aren't they?
    I'd sure like a people-and-tool-mover that could go 0-60 in 4.8 seconds.
    Nothing short of a 'Vette would beat you off stoplights, humbling to quite a few, I'm sure... B)