HU Sound goes out

Discussion in 'Car Audio Head Units' started by CadillacETC1997, Oct 18, 2006.

1. CadillacETC1997

CadillacETC1997 Well-Known Member

Ok guys need a lil aid before i go digging in.
    I recently replaced my Alpine CDA-9807 with a Pioneer Avic-N1
    At high volume levels like 45+ my voltage on the HU dips below 11 and the sound starts to cut out. I turn off my subs from the switch and it doesnt help, however if i turn my subs off at the hu via the sub menu and close the screen and turn down the bass on the hu it lasts until about 50. I have replaced my alt and battery recently so i know its not them and i didnt have this problem ever with my Alpine however when i had a Jensen Flip screen unit i did have this issue but the whole screen would cut out and i just attributed it to the battery. That hu later fried however within the 30 days i bought it so i just returned it. I have no intentions of selling my N1. Now anyone who knows obd-2 caddys know they have a data buss system to retain memory and without your own constant wire run you will lose your memory settings after 10 mins, i have run my own wire directly to the pos terminal on the battery, i used the peice of remote wire that came in my 1400 watt amp wireing kit i think its like 10 guage maybe 12? So im assuming that maybe i need to run a larger constant 12v wire? Any other ideas guys?

on a side note my DIC reads battery voltage always above 13 never have i seen it below that so long as the cars running

2. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Well 12 gauge is plenty for the Constant...I'm thinking this is because the N1 may pull more current the your previous HU's...voltage dropping below 11 isn't really a good thing...the constant doesn't have to be huge.

Not sure what the problem is though...not much of a HU freak

Sorry to hear about this though Caddy...and I have noticed that the spammers havent been around as much lately...good work

3. Rodny

Rodny Full Member

How about your ground?
    It needs to be d same gauge is d constant and don't use d fact wire, go 2 d kick. Another thing is 2 use a relay on your ig wire.
    30 to 12volts constant, use d one you have coming from d batt.
    87 to d radio ig.
    85 to ground.
    86 to fact ig wire.
    This way you pulling all d power strait from d batt.
    Some cars have a screw on each corner of d dash for ground and if the screws are loose you won't have a good ground.

4. CadillacETC1997

nah its not the ground
    have my own ran and using the one off of the harness
    any more ideas guys
    ranger viking common guys

and thanks azn i try to keep up with the bastards

5. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Are you sure your running a large enough wire? Pioneer, like many other aftermarket radios, use the constant to retain memory and for main power to the radio. The accessory wire just turns the radio on and off.

Check your constant wire, Its got to be to small. You said you used remote wire from an amp kit. Those remote wires are typically 16 or 18 gauge not 12.

If you are running from the batt to the HU, 12ga is big enough.

6. CadillacETC1997

ok so ill replace the HU wire with a 12 gauge i just bought
    any other ideas that i should check while its out
    my hus a BITCH to get at you have to remove the whole center counsoul out to get it. shifter, shift knob, a/c controls dash controls
    it takes about 30 mins lol

7. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Bummer, I thought the caddy had a constant behind the radio, but not a switched wire. It uses data to turn the radio on and off.

Any way, you need an old analog volt meter. Check voltage with the radio running at whatever volume causes the problem. Check at the back of the radio. If the voltage drops, then go and check at the batt. If the voltage is much more stable at the battery, then the wire is to blame. If voltage drop is the same at the battery and the radio, then the battery is to blame.

Anyway have fun, it almost my bed time. I'm old remember

8. CadillacETC1997

lol
    its not my batt and not my alt the dic never read below 13 volts on them and my alt and batt are brand new my batt is in interstate batt with 850 cca so i think thats plenty
    however on the hu which has a voltage level it dips to below 11 and thats when it cuts out.

and it does KINDA have a constant however after 10 mins the car goes into a sleep mode and shuts down all the car accessories, including the radio. on the factory system all the radio stations and time are stored on the cars BCM computer.
    without my own constant the radio loses all memory after 10 mins exactly

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  9. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

wow, i cant imagine ANY headunit pulling enough current to drop voltage below 11 volts!!!!! Well, start with what ranger said, run yourself a 12 gauge wire to the radio for memory and ignition, use the standerd bosch relay for the ignition and wire it up like ol rodny says (what the deal on all the d's btw???).....That will be a good sart...But WOW!!! i have never seena head unit that would not handle a factory wire to run it....my my how things are changing!

Just thought of one more thing........Is the HU running all your highs???? ANSWER THIS!!!!! and what sorta highs is it running??????I have another idea if you are.....

10. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Never assume anything.

Assume means "makes an ASS out of U and ME

So please test then replace. Anyway have a great day

11. CadillacETC1997

ok no offence but i didnt understand at all and dont know how to run relays in the wires lol i know about inline fuses but not relays
    also where would be a good place to tap into the ignition wire if i shouldnt use the one off my harness
    also think this could have anything to do with my data 2 buss adapter (its a GMOS-03) with a built in speaker
    currently im using my hu to power all 4 of my speaks which are infinty 4 ohm refs up front (2 ways) and kicker 4 ohm 6x9s in back (3 ways) as soon as i get my plates built im upgrading the fronts finally to my perfect 6.1s and im getting a kicker 350.4 to power them and my 6x9s. for the meantime though (about another mth) i will continue to power them off my hu.

12. TheViking

OK, i want you to try this, its cheap simple and if it does not work, you will be out a little time and about 1 buck!!! Go to radio shack, buy yourself a pack of 100ohm 1/4 watt resistors. get them home, now across each set of speaker outputs, install a resistor across the leads...you know, basically short out each set of speaker leads with the resistors, (but you wont hurt a thing).....I am guessing that the reactance of the caps in the speakers x-overs are causing the HU to see intermitttnat shorts.......DONT ASK!!! just trust me on this.....If it works great, if not, we will look into it further, but i am betting that this will work

13. CadillacETC1997

so if it doesnt short them...
    thats bad?
    if it does short them its my speakers???

even though then how come the voltage drops on the hu
    the n1 has a diagnostic screen which has a compass speedo and voltage gauge
    and on that it reads below 11 when it cuts out

14. TheViking

No, not bad anything!!! speakers or HU......both i am sure are OK..... When "shunting" the resistors across eadch set of speaker leads, you are adding a 100 ohm load to the radio, far from a dead short!!!!! your speakers are 4 ohm, far closer to a dead short!!!!! what this will do is effectively make sure the radio does not see a reactive load from the x-overs in your speakers, which some HU;s have a hard time dealing with, the reactive load "freaks out: the outputs and shut it down....... follow???

15. TheViking

Its an old "trick" that works most of the time......

16. CadillacETC1997

so ill do this
    it will melt onto the speak terminals
    and give my speaks 100+ ohms?
    am i following?
    if thats the case wont the added resistance cause LESS power to go to the speaks?

17. TheViking

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!

The power "absorbed" by the little resistor is so minute that you WONT notice a bit of difference!!!

And actually the impedance will drop slightly, from 4 ohms per speaker to like 3.9876 ohms per channel (too lazy to do the math).....

Could the resistors get hot and melt or burn up? I have never seen it happen, but then the highest powered HU in my day was about 25 watts per channel........just do as i say son, and try it out. you can install the resistors at each speaker location where the wires hook up or behind the radio........If you want, run it hard after you install them and see if it works, then see if the resistors get too hot.....

Dont over think this!!!!!!!!! Just install a 100 ohm resistor in parallel with each set of speaker leads!!! YOU WONT HURT ANYTHING!!!!! IT WONT DEGRADE YOUR SOUND!!! trust me!!!!! i am an old fart, but by god i know what i am talkin bout!!!

18. CadillacETC1997

lol
    viking i dont doubt you
    and in most cases never will
    i just wanna make sure what is goin on here and what im doing so im LEARNING and not just following orders ya know?
    i like to be edjamacated!

19. TheViking

ha ha!!! getin learned is always a good thing! I have come to realize that the older you get, the dumber you realize you are, And that aint no joke!

I hope the resistors work for ya...some of this new equipments out there is different in alot a ways, but, yet the same when you get right down to it, from your description of the problem at the start of this thread, I think it will work, of course not actually seeing it, i couls be wrong, but like i say, its cheap and you wont be out much if it dont work

20. Rodny

Rodny Full Member

R u using d GMOS-03 just 4 on star and chime?
    the car has fact amp?