HU shorting out?

Discussion in 'Car Audio Head Units' started by des343, Nov 19, 2010.

1. des343

des343 Full Member

My HU is a sony thats a few years old have no idea of the model number as i have never been able to find it..

I got this it was a complete 6.5, 6x9 and deck from wal-mart for about 100 bucks got it for christmas i know is 45x4.

Anyways ive had this deck for a couple years now at least and suddenly im having an issue with it cutting out. Literally started doing this out of no where one day it did it once and i was driving with someone and said "did you see or notice that" they were like what atre you talking about so i figured this is the first and only time no big deal i hope..

Well lately it has been doing it more and more often even all it does is like cut power to the HU everything on it turns off no lights no music nothing but within a second or 2 it powers itself right back on and continues right where it left off

Also the only times i seem to be having the porblem is when i turn it up probably anyhwere between 25-27 out of 32 possible..even then i rarly dont turn it past 23 or 24 and dont have an issue untill i turn it up a little more

Any ideas im wondering if my alternator is started to go bad or maybe a fuse of some sort?

2. ericj

ericj Full Member

Fuses either blow or they don't, they won't cause intermittant cutting out. Your alt would have nothing to do with it since the 12V comes from your battery, and it won't intermittantly cause your HU to cut out. My guess would be something internal with the amp inside it going into a shutdown mode from heat or some other reason. Could also be that a speaker is shorting on something in the car or in itself when played loudly, causing the HU to shut down into protect.

3. des343

des343 Full Member

its never done it before..but why would something in the amp cause my deck to cut off. same with a short in the speaker or whatever?

but it could be some kind of protect just odd for it to suddenly do it i havent changed anything

4. Fbmowner

Fbmowner Full Member

I had an old sony deck for a couple years, same thing happened.. Its most likely just the unit going bad, OR you mite have a loose wire. When the headunit cuts out does the memory reset, cd reset, or just continue were it left off?

5. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Full Member

I would also check the ground wire to the h/u.You can run a separate ground to the back of the h/u just to see if that helps.

6. des343

des343 Full Member

just starts right up where it left off if your playing a cd it doesnt even lose its place.

7. Fbmowner

Fbmowner Full Member

Well that means its not losing memory so check your accessory 12v wire and if thats okay im going to go with the unit is going bad.