HT set-up discussion.

Discussion in 'Home Audio Talk' started by aznboi3644, Feb 23, 2008.

1. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Well this past week I finally rewired the whole home stereo setup.

It is a Bose Lifestyles Surround sound crap. I used to think it was the sh!t.

This is kinda of just a blog/rant type thread lol. Just to talk about how crappy bose is.

Put in some reference music with good all around dynamics...some country, some alternative rock...haven't tried hip hop yet.

I know all of this music sounds really good in my truck after I amped the speakers and fully deadened the front doors. In my truck my speakers can play clean down to around 50Hz.

Well compared to my truck the Bose crap has a big gap between the surrounds and the sub. The sub is a bandpass which does decent on the lows around I'd say 50Hz and down maybe...its just a guess.

The Bose has a very hollow sound and not full at all. Absolutely zero midbass. I can't even hear the bass guitar. Kick drums are weak as hell..

On music this system sucks balls...I don't see why people flock to Bose and compare crap to bose.

I've found my new DIY surround sound. It may not be as efficient but I don't listen to sh!t on low volumes lol...I like to hear what I am watching and listening to.

Parts Express DIY Project

Also...I was talking to my girlfriends sister the other night because her and her husband are about to move into a new house...She said she was going to buy the new Bose system with the super small surround sound speakers. I told her that Bose is a piece of crap system and that I could build her a surround sound that is actually worth a damn and sounds good. Saved her a lot of money and satisfaction too.

Also I'm sure I can build a transmission line that will blow the Bose sub out of the water.

The PartSexPress surround sound project looks pretty simple and badass.

I was also thinking about using a cheap 5.25" or 6.5" component set for making some simple bookshelfs or monitors...any thoughts??

2. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

No...lol, your the man now azn, your not allowed to ask questions anymore lol. But i can say bose is way overpriced, there are tons of other systems that can do way better. I have an onkyo 800 watt surround and it kicks ass, although i do catch it missing very, very low bass at times, overall it's loud and deep and full and clean.
    Get designing, i'm sure you can do better with the speaker cabinets. Could be the unit too who knows.

3. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

My friend has an Onkyo surround sound....it sounds a lot better than my bose. The simple ported sub for the Onkyo sounds a lot better than my bose lol.

I have always looked around partsexpress for different drivers for HT use and what not...I really want to build a nice set of stereo speakers.

4. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

oop, it's 600 watts, thought it was 800, it still pumps nice. The sub box has it's own amp too built in, you have to plug it in the wall.

Attached Files:

5. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

my friend has a newer onkyo system...he said his was like 800 bucks

6. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

ya, he probably has the HT series, but it's worth the cash unlike bose.

7. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

yeah...his is black and has like 4 inputs and HDMI outputs/inputs. It has more options than my Bose.

His has time alignment also which is cool...also level adjustments for each speakers...the extra options on the Onkyo is crazy.

8. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

i used a bose center for a while.it was a liitle weak sounding for me,but i bought it to go with my rear surrounds.bose 101 book shelves.these sound soo nice as rears.not so much as main speakers.oh dont get me wrong they are nice sounding but lack a little in midbass.

in a small bookshelf system they would be great.

so anyways the center wasnt sounding so good to me and a bought some insignia bookshelf speakers for cheap.50 new at BB.so i hooked one up and damn as a center it was a perfect match with my sony towers.

i'll get some pics up soon.

9. jayz85

jayz85 Full Member

onkyo is awesome... you should look for deals on polk speakers like r50's and such... here in cali... frys electronics always has good deals on them... I have an onkyo 7.1 receiver with all jbl speakers and an mtx powered sub that my brother handed down to me... he has a onkyo thx 7.1 receiver with a polk csi3 with r50 front and the rest of the speakers are from a harman kardon hkts 18 speaker system. sounds amazing hooked up to the ps3 or xbox 360... I hooked up his old mb quart components to my system and made boxes for the mids and they sounded amazing.

10. pedro quiroga

first we start with the signal.....yamaha 6.1,sony 5 disc changer,xbox 360,a/v selector......
    [​IMG]
    the tv.ge 51 inch widescreen.same as rca brand.and the center ch
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Pedro I have those same sony towers but with a single 6.5 in each.

I think you may want to check this out to make your BB center sound even better

Zaph|Audio

12. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Did some testing today with some tones to see the low frequency cutoff of the Bose sub...sad to say that it is 35Hz. Right after that I can hear the sub unload and make no bass at all.

Sad sad bose system...I played Euphoric Midnight Bass and thought it would wang...nope. The only notes it plays are the higher bass notes. Theres nothing below 35Hz. Hell my Sony 6.5" towers play down pretty low.

Pedro also your bose surrounds are two ways...mine are the double stacked fully rangers that and swivel lol.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  13. pedro quiroga

Pedro also your bost surrounds are two ways...mine are the double stacked fully rangers that and swivel lol

what are bost surrounds.^^^^?

my surounds are klipsh dipoles.4in with 2 horns
    S-1

14. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Bose...it is corrected lol. thanks.

You check out that link to making your Insignia sound even better?

15. pedro quiroga

i saw the link,but didnt read the whole thing.(i was uploading the show pixs)

exactly how can i make them better?it sounds fine to me as a center

16. pedro quiroga

my bose are just a single 4in full range

sorry i may have posted the wrong model.thet are model 100

17. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

18. pedro quiroga

except for the long one.the rest are ENERGY brand speakers

19. pedro quiroga

[​IMG]

these are full range 4 in speakers

20. pedro quiroga

ok azn. i read the whole link you posted.

if i were useing it for my main L/R i would consider the mod,but for a center it
    seems to blend in with my towers pretty good.

i did however buy them as a replacement for the towers(my dog was "going " on them on occasion,and i wanted something off of the floor.

after a few days i got tired of them and went back to my sony's.so they sat for a few months untill i got an itch to re-do my HT.my ENERGY center didnt cut it and i was growing tired of the bose center.so i put it up and BAM!! i liked it,and kept it.

those "extra" speakers totaled up to about 125 for the bose center(used)

and the ENERGY'S cost 110 per satilite(4) and 199 center(i had 2 of them).the bose 100's were 150 for the pair.

i know....ouch! i just cant stop buying speakers.lol

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008