How to bridge both pair of channels of JL audio a4300 (or e4300)

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by atoprak, Aug 27, 2009.

1. atoprak

atoprak Full Member

Hi,

I have a simple question, Actually I cant believe myself for asking that but I am in a very strange situation.

I am running a pair of Morel Tempo 6 and single JL Audio 10w3v3 with my amp.. it sounds fine.. however It lacks a little bit of power and control with my speakers at higher volumes... so I have decided to buy a new mono amp for my sub, and bridge the a4300 to drive my Morel Tempos...

As far as understood from the manual, I bought a pair of "Y" cable to feed Channel1 and Channel2 with "right" signal and the others with "left" signal and connect the speakers as the manual describes... finally make a conservative gain setup and played ...

The sound was very very bad...when I came to 30-35(max62) from the head unit, it creates lots of distortion, clipping, weird, ...simply very bad sound ...

I have also realized the car lights are shaking ... it seems that takes a lot of current from battery even if the the engine running...

I have checked the amp temp, but it was cool..also the power ale is cool too (8awg)

I was very good before (with a sub and a pair of Tempos) also very loud without any distortion ...

What is wrong about my setup ?

Thank you....

2. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

you may have your gains set too high. did you reset your gains once you bridged the amp? so you have the speakers hooked up with the outer positive and outer negative?

3. atoprak

atoprak Full Member

Hi,

I have set the gains according to what the a4300documentation says, and a bit lower to protect my components.... The documentation informs that with 1khz signal, and no sound enhancements, the output voltage should be 24.6V .. but I declined a bit and set 20V

So I dont think that it is about the gains... and the connections of the speakers are as same the manual describes...

4. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

are your components 4ohm speakers? just have to rule that out. some are 2ohm.. you can only bridge an amp at 4ohms.. just wondering if you tried connecting the speakers out of phase, would the sound get any better?

I just don't see how any amp will not work right if it's bridged.. if it works well with the normal set up then the amp should be working fine bridged as well.

5. atoprak

atoprak Full Member

My components are 4ohms..

It works fine when you bridge a pair of channel for sub, and run a set of components with remining ones... how ever the things change when your bridge all

The documentation describes as follows, I think this is the way I sohuld go and what I have tried ..

"1) Left Channel Only or Right Channel Only
    Information: If you wish to send a left-only
    or right-only signal to a pair of the A4300’s
    channels, use a “Y-Adaptor” to split the single
    channel signal into both left and right RCA
    inputs. This option is useful when using a pair
    of the A4300’s channels to drive left channel
    speakers only and the other pair of the A4300’s
    channels to drive right channel speakers only."

I think I am doing what it is written ... right ? ?

6. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

so your Y connectors are two male (to the amp) then one female for your RCA's from the deck.. you ran the two left channels for the left speaker and the 2 right channels for the right speaker using the Y connectors...

Bingo!!!! I don't know if your amp has it but you have to check if it has a selector for 2,3 and 4 channel operation.. See if it has it... I have to check the site... My elemental designs amp has that type of selector and if it's on the wrong setting it sounds like a$$!

7. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

if you look at the picture, you have input for ch 3&4 and preout input from. what are they currently set at now?

my guess would be that these settings need adjusting. just flip the switches and see what happens. oh, make sure that your HP setting are on and not the LP and the bass boost should be off.

Attached Files:

8. atoprak

atoprak Full Member

You are right about my Y-Adapter configuration

there is an input selection switch for 3th and 4th channels.... It can be "Discrete" or "1&2", I have selected "Discrete" ....

the description of the usage as follows

"If you wish to send four discrete channels into
    the A4300, simply use all four inputs (channels
    1 & 2 and channels 3 & 4) and set the “CH 3&4
    Input From” switch to “Discrete”.
    If you wish to feed all four channels by using
    only two channels of input, set the “CH 3&4
    Input From” switch to “1&2” and use only the
    inputs to channels 1 & 2."

9. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

dang, you do have it all set up properly.. I also read thru the manual... You have it right. you turned on the input from channels 1&2 (positive) and 3&4 (negative)...

both HP filters are on? and bass boost is off? what are your crossover points set at?

What deck do you have?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  10. atoprak

atoprak Full Member

I have set the HP and LP filters off and also the bass boost.

My deck is pioneer deh-p6000 has two deck outputs... I use one pair or them for this configuration.

To test my system I switched the HP to 50,63 and 80 Hz ... also switched this off too .. but nothing changes.... The sound is simply terrible whatever I choose...

11. atoprak

atoprak Full Member

This is how the connections looks like

Sorry for bad drawing...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  12. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

try bridging it using the 2 left channels for one side and the two right channels for the other side... so it would be 1 & 3 and 2 & 4

13. atoprak

atoprak Full Member

I am going to try it,

However if I do that, IT should be dual mono .. because the amp sums the signals of channel 1,2 and channel 3,4

14. atoprak

atoprak Full Member

I think I have found the problem ...

The channel2 has a problem with my right component set.

When I connect the right component set to this channel(not bridged, just single) it sounds really bad.... but if I connect this speaker to my other channels, it sound fine....

The problem is, when I connect the other speaker (left component set) to this channel, it sounds fin (!?!) ... or If I connect a subwoofer to this channel it sounds right too ....

Simply my component set(right one) dose not like the out put of channel 2....
    I will try the other channels (channel3&4)

I am very confused about that!

15. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

hmmm that is confusing. good luck with that. sorry i cant help.

16. atoprak

atoprak Full Member

Yes,

The situation is very very confusing.....

I have realized that the problem is getting worse when the amp is getting hotter.. if the amp is cool, there is no problem ...

I have tried the other channels (3rd and 4th) Right component set works fine on the 3rd channel.. bad on 4th channel...

Tomorrow I am going to change the crossovers ...

17. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

have you tested the crossover on the other speakers yet? just to make double sure?

18. atoprak

atoprak Full Member

I am going to uncover the doors again, and check the crossovers tomorrow.. but if one crossover is broken, how on earth it works on the other channels...?? !?!? ?!