How can i wire this just got new stuff

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by des343, Feb 5, 2011.

1. des343

des343 Full Member

today i went out and got a new amp and a 15 inch l7 kicker

the amp is JBL 14001

but i also have 2 12 inch Kicker CVR

i would like to know if i can hook these 3 subs up to this amp i know it is powerful enough my buddy has the same one its even the older version and it bumps hard.

But i would like to know if it is a good idea i would like to know have multiple amps and stuff kind of the idea behind one large one but i want them going at the same ohm load and everything 2 ohms if possible..

Thanks for any help.

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

running 2 diff types of subs with diff specs will lead to crappy output due to cancellation.

either run the single sub or the 2 12's.

3. des343

des343 Full Member

there is no way to wire it? i figure the 12s together rms 800 and the 15 is 1000 it would be close like do you mean it would lower it to 800? or just why does it cancel i guess

my friend had 2 12 inch rockford and 2 10 inch rockford running off his and it seemed to be working perfectly fine practically the same amp and mine dont have near the difference his did.

Sorry just want to know what im doing i just need the 12s for that added bass and they hit the mids and everything pretty well figured it would pick up what the 15 wont

4. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Full Member

The sound and pressure the subs make and push will bounce off of each other and cancel them out.It can be done,but it takes alot of time and money to do so.Take pedro's advice and run just 1 setup.If you want better or harder hitting bass,it can be done with the enclosure and tuning.What type of car do you drive,what's the specs on the boxes(size and tuning),and how do you have them facing in the car?Answering these ?'s will help us help you.

5. des343

des343 Full Member

I just took a picture of the box and everything i have no idea about tuning and stuff i have made my own boxes and they work but i dont exactly understand everything i need to know example how to tell the tuning of a box..

Currently i have 4 12's 12 boxes and 2 amps i have one box that can slide perfectly inside this crevis in the back of the trunk so it like seamlessly blends in i have the box pushed in there it fits like it was made for it. that box is facing forward towards the inside of the car and the other box currently is facing up and has the whole rest of the trunk.

What i was planning on doing is i currently have the duals in that box im going to swap the subs out and put my kickers in that box becuz the one they are in now is bigger i build it myself they are both front middle slotted ports.

i found a picture of the trunk not hers just trying to provide and example so you can see the area im talking about currently the car bumps hard with whats in it.

here are the pictures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Full Member

Well you didn't say what kind of car it is,but the pictures do help.In a trunk car,the subs and port need to be facing the back of the car.This will give more depth to the sound.I usually start with them as close to the back as possible and move away inch by inch until it sounds the best to you.Make sure you close the trunk completely while listening,otherwise you'll lose sound out of the car.It looks like the back seat folds down,so try it up and down.I'll bet down will sound better.For the tuning,just measure everything,like how long the port is and width,height and there are tools on the net to help you figure it out.Here's one that I have used in the past:

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp

Just search on the net and you'll find what you need.I like 30-35hz tuning(hits the low hard),but tuning higher like 38-46 will be louder.You could just reposition the box and get different sound,so try that first and go from there.

7. des343

des343 Full Member

okay ill do that in a bit but still my biggest question is

is it possible to get my 15 which is 4 ohm and my 12s which are 2 ohm to be wired to the same ohm load?

like either both running at 2 ohms or both running at 4 ohms

dodge intrepid btw

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  8. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Full Member

Not on the same amp.It could fry your amp and/or your subs.

9. des343

des343 Full Member

Thanks for your help by the way I just installed everything to see what would happen I have my 12 s wired with one post and one net going into one channel and the 15 in the other.

Everything seems to be working and pounding I played it for a while the subs seem to have no distortion and the amp barely even gets warm.

So it appears to be working but I'm totally trusting what your saying just if bad stuff was happening wouldn't it be noticeable in some way? The biggest thing I'm noticing is like what I was told before lack of air space/ trunk room in general but my ears are still ringing it pounds hard

10. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Full Member

It will end up frying your stuff,but you can do what you want to.

11. des343

des343 Full Member

that was a serious question i mean isnt there a way to tell if its messing up would it get hot or distort or do something odd?

sorry i just mean i am not trying to be a smarta$$ you know im just trying to learn the best way i know..which is asking people i dont do well just reading stuff all the time and some topics are hard to find straight answers