Holden Monaro >> the new Pontiac GTO

Discussion in 'Pictures and funny Stuff.' started by One Eyed Jack, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

WOW........amazing!
    Why is the steering wheel on the right side?!
    It would look so much better if there was an exhuast pipe on each side.
    And give us the specs too man, including the base price.

2. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

Lutz: Monaro will be next GTO

By Jim Henry
    Automotive News / March 27, 2002

Related Links

2002 New York Auto Show index

Other stories
    on the subject

Aussie import won't end GM's quest for rwd cars - 2002-03-11

The next Pontiac GTO will come from Australia.

General Motors product czar Robert Lutz told a breakfast group at the New York Auto Show that GM will import the Australian-built Monaro to the U.S. About 20,000 each year will be imported into the United States.

The high-performance car is built by a special vehicle division of GM's Australian Holden unit.

The U.S. version will come with a 5.7 liter V-8 and a 6-speed manual transmission. It will make its debut at either the 2003 Los Angeles or Detroit auto shows, said Lutz. It will be sold as a 2004 model Pontiac GTO.

The current V8 model sells for about $30,000 in Australia.

Lutz, GM's vice chairman, called it "an instant cult classic. ...

"It's the most sought after, high-profile car on Australia's roads now," he said. "It will deliver the type of performance that made the original GTO famous."

The Monaro will re-establish a link to Pontiac's performance heyday, which peaked in 1970 when the division rolled out its biggest engine, a 455-cubic inch, 375-hp V-8 for the GTO and Firebird. Pontiac built the GTO from the 1964 through the 1974 model years in a variety of body styles.

Pontiac enthusiasts have been clamoring for a true GTO replacement for years, but GM has resisted because it didn't have a suitable rear-wheel-drive platform.

Lutz said it is possible that other models from its successful Australian unit might make it to the U.S. market, but the total number of vehicles wouldn't be large.

"We can't talk about overcapacity in the U.S. and bring in tens of thousands of cars from overseas," he said.

http://www.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=1849

3. bigsexxxy69

bigsexxxy69 Full Member

Is the GTO gonna have the same body, or is it gonna have a new body and just the use the frame and engine?

4. LuckyT

LuckyT New Member

That would be a nice car to have over here, but does not deserve the GTO name on it.

5. One Eyed Jack

One Eyed Jack Full Member

they will pontiac-it-up a little (grille a little more distinct) and put the steering on the traditional side. It comes with the LS1 (current engine in Camaros, Firebirds, and Corvettes) pumping out 325 horsepower.

6. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

How much will it cost?
    My guess is 30K or higher

7. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I love ALL of it exactly the way it is with that Holden model (question - if those are pics of a Holden, why DO they say GTO on the flanks??:confused:)...
    Except I think the wheels are "should be on a chevy cavalier" ugly...

I hope they DON'T do "a little Pontiac styling" as you say...
    The current grille shape they are trying to put on everything is ugly as shit!
    Pontiac Vibe...
    Pontiac Sunfire...
    Pontiac Aztek..
    Pontiac Montana...
    They are trying to give the Firebird a big honkin snorkel look...

Please leave it looking like that, I really love the way that looks...
    And that interior!
    Mmmmm....

*sigh*
    I really bet the Pontiac product we get will be cheesed up somehow...
    anyone else share my worry?

8. spyder3634

spyder3634 Full Member

that car does look pretty awesome......:)