HO alternator idea....

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by TheViking, Dec 9, 2010.

1. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Well, it really aint an idea, its a proven thing.

Years and years ago back when i was into SPL systems and getting the most out of an unregulated power supplied amp, I had this really great idea...and it worked

At the time i was using an old 78 dodge aspen as a daily driver, ugly grey, with 2 doors and a 318 under the hood..basically a fast grocery getter! Anyway, I had an hour commute to and from work, so of course being the car audio kind of guy iam, I installed a basic sytem for some tunes for the ride.

It was loud, an old 2125sx orion runnin it all, subs, mids and tweets with all passives...it pounded.....

Well i wanted a bit more so i looked at how to increase voltage to said amp. A bit of research showed me that grounding out the rotor windings of a dodge alternator would yield full output.....in the range of 19-20 volts.......and at an output of about 90 amps...HOT. AT IDLE !!!! this was done unto a load of 2 batteries and of course the "big 3"

This is a STOCK alternator folks.....

Well, great numbers and outstanding performance.....My inductive meter would not read past 150 amps if i remember right, so when the engine was run up to about 2 grand, it pegged the needle

I promptly installed a switch in the dash to full field th alternator! LOL!

It worked great! The power supply in these ol amps would gladly accept the voltage and make more wattage! (not like these new amps with regulated power supplies) One or two problems did develope however....

At night, its a good way to burn out light bulbs and headlights....and when done for an extended period of time, batteries DO NOT like it and neither do the diodes in the alternator!

Just thought i would share this. Over the years, i have found that the old dodge alternators can do some amazing things. large excessively ventilated case, large diameter rotor which does help efficiency, and very versatile. i often thought about building a larger diode pack for them to see what they would sustain and effectively do over the long haul....

just thought i would share this

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

wouldn't it have also reeked havoc on the radio and other small electronics?

BTW i wouldn't mind a few SX amps myself. 2250 and a few 275's for mids and a 222 for tweets. i'm an active kind of guy,lol.

or any combination of those amps. i remember what they are capable of.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010